Home General Discussion

Seriously, we need more animations like this in video games!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLtTKU2cScA[/ame]

Damn this guy is a genius! His works bursts with style, originality and mastery, even though some of them lacks arc polishing and are a bit jerky (due to video game production constraint).

I really appreciate hand-keyed work like this! I wish there was sites where people like him and stephen vyas could post thier work..kinda like an artstation but for hand-keyd animations (for games of course).

EDIT: I like less his work on dramatic scene like towards the end but the looped and action in-games animations are pretty slick!

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    https://vimeo.com/groups/gameanim

^This is the droid you are looking for...

If you join the group, any time you post a video, you can add it to the group. The owner also adds stuff randomly when he finds any game reel
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    The games in general should pay more attention to animations, imho. They all boast shiny graphics with the coming of the new generation of consoles, but you don't see them talking about how they are gonna improve their animation work. It really pains me to see a pretty looking game that has jerky and repetitive animations.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I agree wholeheartedly. Animation, audio, and VFX all deserve a lot more budget than they typically get. Animation is getting a little bit of improvement with mocap this gen, but mocap can only take you so far.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    A big problem with game animation is that the more fluid and lifelike it becomes, the less reactive your controls are. So it really is a giant balancing act.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    OMG SLipsius THANKS A FKING LOT for this link. :D

Vimeo is indeed a site full of pearls in terms of art. BOOk-freaking -marked.

Hey Franky, long ago, I had made a thread talking about this ( although with a controversive title) where I stipulated that game animations were way too often left behind in terms of quality compared to visual grpahics.

Of course, the animation/film industry is quite different from the game when we talk about animation, however, I still feel that way too much big developers neglect this aspect from their game...
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    slipsius wrote: »
    A big problem with game animation is that the more fluid and lifelike it becomes, the less reactive your controls are. So it really is a giant balancing act.

This. Players do need quick reactivity from their characters when playing so, transitions between cant be smooth and more often have to be fast..

However, I dream one day, a developper will find a solution for this.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I want to see games incorporate smears, especially in 3D.

If few games do it, then I want to be the first to popularize it.

uNRMVQN.png
    jC7ZS9g.png
    uscRglF.png
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    fuuuuuuuuck that reel is good.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Back in the Q2PMP day right here, we used to see our fair share of top quality game animation. The Quake2 player model format was great for that. Really miss that stuff truly inspiring days they were. Big ups and maximum shout out's for Magarnigal (Michael Mellor), Skullbox (Bastiaan Shravendeel), SgtScience(Steve Jones) and a whole load more!

These days there's not the platform for them here it seems.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Suuuper nice, animations can really make or break a game for me personally, if Oceanhorn had smooth exaggerated movements instead of clunky robots, that pretty game would have lived longer.
  • Joel Gafford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joel Gafford polycounter lvl 9
    It's amazing how good animation metaphorically breathes life into a character. Even without textures, the animation made me believe in the existence of the characters (not literally lol).
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, updating this thread with more work of this master!

How do you even animate snake bodies like that? :D

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-WRxhjIsUU[/ame]

Maybe these kind of animations could be too slow for quick action game but for turn-based RPG's, they would be excellent!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    I believe you can set your rig to move along a an s like spline to get the slithering animation, at least the rough of it.

Neat thread, I personally always go to WoW to check out incredible animation. The attention to detail on every creature and npc is astounding in that game, especially now that all player races have brand new meshes with new rigs and facial animation. It all looks and feels properly weighted for what essentially controls like a floating camera, no viewbobbing needed to convey travel in it.

For more stylish and "out there" animation I look to Japan and especially character action games like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising. While facial animation may not be the best in those games; everything from attacks to jumps to running to finishers have a certain oomph to them, they all feel and look really really satisfying.

Animation matters so goddamn much in games, I remember in uncharted 3 when I did a sprinting jump with Drake his body kind of freaked out and it looked like his arm broke because the animation was played so fast, I could never unsee it :(
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    JordanN wrote: »
    I want to see games incorporate smears, especially in 3D.

If few games do it, then I want to be the first to popularize it.
    I feel like something can be done with DirectX/OpenGL hardware tessellation to mimic the effect of smears in real-time somehow. At least in such a way to have some tessellated vertices to 'drag' behind and have some sort of delay during a quick bone motion.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Damn that was sick stuff. I bookmarked it just so I could show the animators I work with. They are really good as well so they should appreciate that video quite a bit.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I remember when I first stated up Timesplitters 2 on PS2... one of the first cinematics of the game had a guy nervously wiggling his fingers, eyes darting around frantically - I had never seen anything like it in a game! As an artist with no interest in becoming an animator, it's nice to remind myself how much life animation brings to a project.

http://youtu.be/kEFuLEvKW_4?t=2m17s

It's very nice to see animators getting alot of credit in the Dota Workshop - good animation is a huge part of the wards and couriers that get through there.