Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Endless Jade Legion Throne - Kanoba

Kanoba
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
Standing deep within a cold vast intergalactic empire lays a throne as old as time its self. From this seat of unfathomable power a dreaded, ruthless and precise emperor controls numberless legions of emotionless soldiers. Marching forward spreading death and destruction through the endless void of space crushing any and all civilizations it comes across without mercy. The small few who survive this onslaught only live to tell the horrific stories of how their families, friends and planets were decimated. No one is sure how the Endless Jade Legion came to be but many people believe that after they had conquered the twisted hellish dimension they were created in they tore a whole in the fabric of space its self and spread through into our universe. Its only a matter of time before they have rid this universe of life, no one is safe....

Hey guys, first competition ive ever entered hopefully i can see it though. Going very sci fi for this one going to draw alot of influence from various sci fi elements such as Necrons, Borg, Replicators and try and smash that into traditional Chinese designs and such. Really love the 40k look in general as well.

Ive decided im going to start with designing the throne and work outwards from there so first up il post some mood boards and references to get the ideas flowing.

Software il be using:

Maya
Zbrush
Photoshop
NDO
Substance Design (Have been very interested in learning this package now i have a good excuse)
UE4/Cryengine (not sure yet)

Replies

• Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
  • Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
    Starting off with some mood boards just to get some general idea/shapes rolling Really liking some of the Necron shapes,

I know they say they want to see originality but originality is just learning how to hide your influences and seeing as they want us to show our process thats not as easy :)

Sci-Fi.png

Traditional.png

Some trends im noticing here is the use of Gold in both the Necron and Chinese designs. The Chinese designs have a very strong red which is quite contrasting to the heavy green in scifi, will probably be sticking to green though to keep it scifi

Now stand back while i smash these two worlds together !
  • Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
    Some really rough sketches i did quickly, really liking the idea of a mechanical snake wrapping around a throne, ties in well with the Chinese dragons wrapping around objects.

Gunna take the snake sketch and expand on it abit more, play with the main shape of the throne too. Gunna think about how i want the snake too look as well and expand on that abit more.

Sketch.png
  • Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
    Gunna move into photoshop, liking this idea but def needs more shape refinement

Sketch3.png
  • Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
    Think i had a good idea with the single serpent wrapping around the throne will move forward with this one and make more subtle refinements and tidy the shapes and such

Thumbnails.png\
  • Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
    Just a sketch, gunna step into maya and start the upright part

Sketch4.png
  • Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
    Started the Shape inside of Maya then took it into Zbrush, Havnt used Zbrush in a while but really want to get better at it really want the rock to have a broken cut up look, then its going to have plates covering parts of it and wires coming off of it.

Going to have to exposed parts of the rock slightly glowing green with energy, Next up polypainting time
    Scuplt.png
  • Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
    Have been productive today, Decided im going have the rock as some kind of power source and have the mechanical parts leeching off it and pipes and such, redid the Zbrush sculpt so i could get the green inside the rock, still learning Zbrush but slowly getting there.

It looks abit bright in here but i can tone it down abit in photoshop and also i have decided to use UDK over cryengine

ZbrushScuplt.png