Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - The Dragon Catacombs - Will Faucher

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hello!

I'm thinking of a rather unconventional throne room, which would be ruled by a dragonslayer. I got the inspiration from Peter Jackson's art direction in The Hobbit; Thranduil's Halls in Mirkwood (found in my reference sheet). I adore the lack of large, flat, straight areas, the chaos and dynamism in the design. So I am basing it on that. This will more than likely be located in a cave, with a combination of natural and artificial lighting, with a strong contrast between natural and man-made elements.

I'm imagining many twisted paths leading up to the throne itself. No large, flat plaza/floor. Windy paths with bridges made from the carcasses of slain dragons/wyrms/wyverns.

I don't want to make this inherently evil-looking, nor "good". I want to keep it cold and mysterious, unsure as to whether one should feel welcome, or afraid. A sense of caution. But who knows where my art direction will take me. I'm going to try and maintain a fairly small scale, hopefully I don't get carried away with something too big.

Reference sheet:
5h4Go96.jpg

Software I'll be using:

3ds Max
UE4
Photoshop
Substance Designer/Painter
dDo/Quixel Suite
Zbrush

Replies