Home Adobe Substance

Seams in tiling textures

I've been trying to work on some tiling textures using Substance. I was under the impression the various pattern generators, like the grunge presets, were supposed to tile automatically. However, when I use them they don't tile at all, leaving me with some pretty harsh seams in my textures. So far the only way I've found to correct this is to remove the seams manually in Photoshop, or to use the "Make it Tile" filter, which doesn't work well for non-organic materials.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? A magic check box somewhere I need to tick?

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Everything is automatically seamless in SD by default but you can break the tiling if you use arbitrary transformations like a rotation that is not 90 degrees or an arbitrary scaling. When scaling try to only use the "/2" button only or use one of the nodes in the Transforms category, but these will only work with non-structured patterns.
  • MooseCommander
    I haven't been using transformations on most of the materials. It also tends to look fine inside of Substance, but when I export the textures seams are introduced.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Would you be able to send me one of these materials that cause a tiling issue?
  • Alex Sawczuk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex Sawczuk polycounter lvl 7
    Be careful with the filtering if you are resizing things
  • SleepyRosenborg
    On this subject, does using the Disorder-thingy on a lot of the generators cause a seam? I've used them on a few materials and most of the times I can notice seams where there weren't any before.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It shouldn't cause seams. Do you have a specific example?
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait isnt this the same issue i had in the Master thread? You are using the tile generator right? Ill edit this post with the answer i got.

Oh so the problem i had was that i where using pattern generators and i assumed they would tile perfectly when i ran them through the tile generator. However i got horrible seams everywhere when tiling the texture by something reasonable say "10" or "12" times.

This is the response i got.
    This is a known issue when using image input affecting Fxmap nodes (the tile generator is based on an fxmap). It happens when the pattern size is not a perfect power of 2: in your case you have 10*10 patterns in a 2048 image, so each pattern is 204,8 px. Consequently the patterns are slightly scaled and currently a rescale implies mipmapping. That's what is causing these black lines.

Some work is being done on the engine at the moment, fixing this problem is on the roadmap.

So the sollution is to just fiddle with the numbers in the tile generator. Sometimes i go a bit lower than i usually would want just to keep it from not making seams. And try uneven numbers aswell.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    There is a node, and i cant remember which that has a zoom option, that could be your problem?