Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted sorcerer character

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
skadoo polycounter lvl 7
Hello! I made this here sorcerer guy as an attempt to get into hand painted textures and was hoping to get some feedback.

I know the cloth folds could be better but man, is it hard to get those right even with reference. Anyways, I'd love to hear what you like and don't like.

The model:

MmF0Q5K.png

With wireframe:

rHJA0dg.png

Diffuse (the only map I plan to use for this):

Od8dWCt.png

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Don't use lightbox, use IMGUR to post images.

Looks solid btw. What I would recommend is to splash in subtle off-hues to add some more body to the character's clothes.
  • skadoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skadoo polycounter lvl 7
    Accidentally uploaded an older turnaround so I quickly fixed that.

JadeEyePanda, thanks for the imgur suggestion and the off-hue idea. Color is a weak area for me so if someone could suggest some colors to go with I would be grateful.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Just use something that's NOT the color you used. Start with complementaries.
  • Shurkuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    The boy and the clothes look fine to me... but the wood on his staff (Around the gem) needs some more attention their.
    I would add some highlights to make the green gem stand out more.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah you have a good base to work with but as JadeEyePanda said, you could still push your colours a lot. It also would help to up the contrast quite a bit.

I quickly did this paintover, sorry for it being so quick and dirty:

z54cKOh.jpg

If you are having trouble coloring, try using Gradient maps. Then you can select a colour for shadows, midtones and highlights, then the gradient map blends in the colours in between.

I also added a black and white gradient going from white at the top to black at the bottom. You can easily bake one for your model. Can't find the post right now, but a polycounter made a script to automate this.
  • skadoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skadoo polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the paintover. The higher contrast does look more appealing.