Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] - Riven Redeemed

Hi Guys! This is going to be my thread for the Riot art contest. I decided to do a existing skin rather than create a new one. So I chose Riven and her Redeemed skin as I found the her whole backstory quite interesting and you know she uses a large sword which is always a plus.

I'm quite late into this but lets hope I can still make the deadline (fingers crossed).

Final
Timothy_Kong_zps31ff6822.jpg

Anywho I'll start off with 4 sketches that I made:
thumb1_zpsb37da6fc.jpg<br>

thumb2_zpsf4f89cc6.jpg<Br>

thumb3_zps8062f74f.jpg<Br>

thumb4_zps8dd6da41.jpg<Br>

I think I might go for either the third or fourth one. To me they seem to be the ones that are working the best.

C & C are welcome btw guys!

Replies

• TwinBrother
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 2nd and the 4th are the most dynamics... I will put my bet on them
  • ying_dragoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Twinbrother! Alright, I had a bit of time today to work on this, after getting some feedback on my sketches I decided to take 4 further along.
    Cleaned up the sketch more and starting to add colour into the piece. Ill put together a moodboard later on to show my thoughts as I'm doing this.

Again C & C are very welcome

prog1_zps92b80b01.jpg
  • ying_dragoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys, made some progress for this piece, I decided to take the figures out of the image for the time being. It might look a bit barren but I'll add some effects from her sword late down the line.
    C&C are very welcome.

screenshot2_zps083f14a9.jpg
  • ying_dragoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've uploaded a moodboard to sort of share my thoughts on what I'm thinking.

I've split it into three components: I needed reference for the Redeemed design and so got the official illustration and some awesome photo's of great cosplay costumes. I also got photo's of some actual armour to help define some of the material.

Regarding the environment I pictured her in her homeland of Noxus, I didn't find much concept art for it. But most of it seemed barren usually with sunset kind of setting. The photo's are from Mars, wanted to capture that wasteland kind of look of the land.

For inspiration I found a photo that helped me with the pose idea, I also got several illustrations which I find the lighting quite appealing in getting the focal area of a illustration.

Anywho I got another update tonight, I changed the background as I didn't like the composition of the last one. Also put some more details into the sword as well.

moodboard_zps50b175dc.jpg

Still feels like something is missing but not quite sure what. C & C are very welcome.

screenshot3_zps2c0e803a.jpg
  • ying_dragoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on it some more.
    screenshot4_zps5e6f2527.jpg
  • ying_dragoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys finished this up, here's the final image.
    Timothy_Kong_zps31ff6822.jpg