Home General Discussion

Assasson's Creed Victory

polycounter lvl 9

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Looks awesome, but the pace at which they're making games is disturbing. Do they have multiple teams dedicated solely to Assassin's Creed?
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Grimwolf, this team, it's the Quebec team who developped this one, not the MTL team.

Is it possible to change the name of a thread? I just noticed the mistake in the spelling.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Hopefully one of these new graphics engine Assassin's Creed games works well enough on PC to get a constant 60 FPS. I've only played Assassin's Creed 1 and Black Flag, decent games, pretty environments.
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Always love the environment art!
  • plastix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plastix polycounter lvl 4
    ZacD wrote: »
    Hopefully one of these new graphics engine Assassin's Creed games works well enough on PC to get a constant 60 FPS. I've only played Assassin's Creed 1 and Black Flag, decent games, pretty environments.

AC:Unity (new one) is one of the worst PC game of 2014 in terms of perfomance / optimization / amount of bugs and glitches. I dont think upcoming AC bla bla bla will be better.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Big Ben looks so good
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I feel like they're going to hurt themselves in the long run at this rate of frequency, but then again I could be wrong..

I still haven't even come close to beating black flag.
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    I wonder what historical figures we will see in this one? Jack the Ripper would be cool. Kind of sucks for the team that this leaked though I imagine.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also the setting seems a bit stale after having a much of games close to the same time period and types of cities. Very European or European influence.

Assassin's Creed III ~1760-1780 USA (Colonies of European nations)
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ~1700-1750 Caribbean (Colonies of European nations)
    Assassin's Creed Unity ~1789–1799 French
    Assassin's Creed Victory ~1800-1900 UK

Give me Ancient Jerusalem, Egypt, China, Japan, Babylon, Greek/Roman, Jungles, 1920s New York, WWI or WWII (Kinda miss all of the World War games), something a different than the last 4 games.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Are they just telling the artist teams to 'get rid of French cities, and put London in there' now instead ?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ZakD - since when is greek/roman not european?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I meant 18th-19th century Europe, a pretty small area of time and influence.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Blond wrote: »
    Here we go for the sixth installement of the series set in industrial revolution London.

Victorian London (Post Industrial Revolution) - it appears to be set towards the latter half of the 19th century, probably around 1880. You can tell by the railway stations.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome, but the pace at which they're making games is disturbing. Do they have multiple teams dedicated solely to Assassin's Creed?
    Stick around for the credits after completing an Assassin's Creed game. Bring a snack. :)
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Next on the list:
    Assassin's Creed: WW2
    Assassin's Creed: Vietnam
    Assassin's Creed: Maidan
    Assassin's Creed: Odyssey 3000
    Assassin's Creed: The Caves of Steel
    Assassin's Creed: The Old Republic
    Assassin's Creed: The Foundation
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    ZacD wrote: »
    Also the setting seems a bit stale after having a much of games close to the same time period and types of cities. Very European or European influence.

Assassin's Creed III ~1760-1780 USA (Colonies of European nations)
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ~1700-1750 Caribbean (Colonies of European nations)
    Assassin's Creed Unity ~1789–1799 French
    Assassin's Creed Victory ~1800-1900 UK

Give me Ancient Jerusalem, Egypt, China, Japan, Babylon, Greek/Roman, Jungles, 1920s New York, WWI or WWII (Kinda miss all of the World War games), something a different than the last 4 games.

I agree,
    Jerusalem and Damascus were inspired environments in the original game. Sort of wish the new consoles were more powerful and those cities were revisited.

On the other hand...
    Industrial Revolution British Empire might be great fuel for some epic "Steam Punk".
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Ugh. They just keep pumping these games out. To someone who's only played the first, they continually look more and more repetitive. The graphics look great, don't get me wrong, but have these games actually been changed up at all? It is indeed a bit disturbing how fast they pump these games out.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Let's be fair, almost *any* setting after around 1700 is going to be European or a European colony. That's what the world was like during a globe spanning imperial land grab. There's also a question of ancestry; the characters need these backgrounds for the plot to make sense; even China is a push, because it's difficult to make sense of narratively (South East Asia is doable though, plenty of colonies there).
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To someone who's only played the first, they continually look more and more repetitive.
    Expand your world before judging. The games get better and better. Black Flag is WORLDS away from the first game.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Expand your world before judging. The games get better and better. Black Flag is WORLDS away from the first game.

Black Flag is WORLDS away from Unity ;)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I've heard, yes. :) But that doesn't change the fact that the series is so far removed from where it started ...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the biggest leap was between 1 and brotherhood. after brotherhood nothing really changed, ships were cool, i'll grant that. but in terms of core gameplay, nope.

and the thing is, it's rubbed off on all the other ubisoft games. climb tower to unlock map? yep! it's even in farcry.

in fact, you can literally sum up every ubisoft game at this point as:
    climb tower - unlock map.
    kill <notorious local deviant name> - unlock new perk
    repeat until game ends.
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen people in other places giving crit on the screenshots (such as the smoke stacks making it look like the wind is blowing in two different directions), but those shots aren't actually from the game are they? Given Ubisoft's statement it looks like it's concept footage? Like the Rainbow Six Patriots one.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the biggest leap was between 1 and brotherhood. after brotherhood nothing really changed, ships were cool, i'll grant that. but in terms of core gameplay, nope.

and the thing is, it's rubbed off on all the other ubisoft games. climb tower to unlock map? yep! it's even in farcry.

in fact, you can literally sum up every ubisoft game at this point as:
    climb tower - unlock map.
    kill <notorious local deviant name> - unlock new perk
    repeat until game ends.

It's refinement and polish. I'm not arguing that they reinvent the genre with every game - that would be impossible with yearly releases - but to argue that Brotherhood feels the same as Black Flag - I disagree.

I mean, "ships were cool", like it's nothing big. Opened up a HUGE world and implemented gameplay on moving platforms.

I dunno, whatever. :)
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9

It came with my xbox one, maybe I'll give it a shot and see what its like (also came with Unity too, but I've heard its buggy). Is it necessary to play the previous ones to understand these latest installments?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No. They are independent. Templars, world domination, etc. Just stab people. :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I cant really comment too much, but then again I am not on the assasins team here at ubi either. I myself stopped playing AC3 around the half way mark, mostly doing the ship stuff. I was a little hesitant to get into black flag, but fired it up a couple weeks ago and havent played much besides it. I literally abandoned the main story for ages and simply romp around on the high seas. so to say the series doesn't change is pretty ridiculous.

I would agree there are annoying AC traits that could be dropped. I heard they axed most of the tailing missions in unity which is nice. havent finished one since AC2, but will probably hammer it out to the end with black flag. Big props given to the art teams on these games, creating these massive open worlds seems to be an incredible amount of work.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Haha Foundation FTW.

I've always thought the games look amazingly pretty but tbh industrial london is grey and brown and depressingly dull as fuck atmosphere to go with, with very little skyline if you can see the skyline at all over all the smog.

Also where the fuck are the pyramids, I swear at the end of AC2 the space chick was like "you will find shit at the pyramids".
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PM - Oh yes, they could dump any mission containing the words "tail", "follow" and "eavesdrop" and I'd be super happy. All of that is basically a waste of my time and an interruption to my fun.

I guess they'd be OK if implemented differently but as they are they take away your open world, entirely, and put you on a rail. "Figure out what the game designer wanted you to do to complete this mission!" Ugh.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Have to kind of agree with Lee, brotherhood really did an absolute ton to change things up which just hasn't been matched in later installments. Unity's actually the first assassins game that I finished since brotherhood, which is still my personal favorite. And that was mostly down to liking the characters more than anything else.

But back to Victory, it's a shame that info got leaked, but frankly I am getting so sick of these games being set in central Europe, I know black flag and 3 were in America but hey ho. I wish they'd go somewhere drastically different, whether that be Japan, China or somewhere like Russia I don't know.

I'd want at least a different period of history, something like the cold war or that near future setting desmond was in are to me a lot more interesting at this point. I still like the games, I just want to see them do something completely out of left field, hopefully Victory will have something along those lines.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    It's kind of annoying to see the game get announced so soon after Unity came out, but I guess that's the current state of big name releases. I love the setting the devs are going for, this game will definitely have some art that I'll immediately fall in love with, but I kind of wish it was a new franchise with a new style of gameplay.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I hope this game to be better than the fiasco of Unity. With the patch 1.3 they broke the game even more, something really awful, unbearable.

And i don't understand why so many Assassin's creed games in a single year. They should give time to mature the franchise, in order to give players a good experience and fun. If AC3 were bad in story terms, ACU is the worst AC i have ever played.

Ac Unity will have a Chinese themed dlc. With AC Revelations CE we have a short film with an old ezio, and appeared a chinese assassin girl.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    really? another one? already?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    Assassin's Creed 2K15: Come on and slam, and welcome to Londan.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    No. They are independent. Templars, world domination, etc. Just stab people. :)
    Don't forget the ancient god-like races trapped in some kind of magical super computer, with the most dangerous of them all chillin' in a Templar server room.

Man I wish they would expand on this a bit more, since revalations they hardly get mentioned. Kicking the butts of Templars in olden times means nothing when we know they become a huge cooperation in the future and the assassins become some underground hacker group
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    i actually liked black flag and III the least in the series. the american colonies and carribbean didnt feel right for the "traditional" wall climbing, ledge shimmying, roof jumping assassin gameplay the series was built on. IV was essentially a really great pirate game with some assassin elements, but the entire game sort of felt out of place from the series.
    honestly Unity was really refreshing to go back to that sort of style that the Ezio games thrived off of, and is hands down my favorite entry in the series so far (not to mention one of the best looking games ive ever seen). in any case.. victory has me excited.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    great setting, at least!
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    Well, I haven't played Unity yet, my current system isn't strong enough to take it (it barely reaches minimum for Black Flag), so it probably won't take Victory either. And I haven't even completed Black Flag yet, i've just spent most of the last year i've had the game just playing Pirates of the Caribbean with Edward and the Jackdaw. Take all the assassin elements out of BF, and you'd still have a pretty decent Pirate game.

Though in my opinion, I think they need to take a break from the AC series for a few years, go back to a two-year release cycle. With them releasing one (or two) games a year, so little development time means the story suffers, I don't care how many studios they have.

As for the setting, I wouldn't mind ancient Greece (Mount Olympus could be a great place to put a Precursor site of some sort), or even Egypt, though going back to the beginning and seeing how the Assassins started with Adam and Eve against the First Civ would be pretty cool too.

Though the brief look at the WWII setting we got from Unity showed that a mid 1940s setting could work.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget the ancient god-like races trapped in some kind of magical super computer, with the most dangerous of them all chillin' in a Templar server room.

Man I wish they would expand on this a bit more, since revalations they hardly get mentioned. Kicking the butts of Templars in olden times means nothing when we know they become a huge cooperation in the future and the assassins become some underground hacker group

Yeah, I just don't care about that ... whenever I get forcibly removed from the animus, I'm basically just powering through the golden path until I can get back in.
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I don't like the Sci-fi stuff either, it just kills immersion, and feels too detached from the main game. I guess it's there to give the series some consistent characters as it jumps around different time periods.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I have a somewhat unique perspective here, having worked on the CG trailers for all the major AC games since the second one. Not sure if any of the Ubi artists had a chance to get involved with so many of the games, as I understand they're usually built by different studios. It's been a unique experience that has affected me in many ways.

The jumps to new periods are incredibly interesting. It always brings us to research new things, and I've always ended up reading wikipedia at home late into the night, learning about whatever had an effect on the people of that age. Black Flag was super interesting with regards to the sea life, for example how HMS Victory had lost more crew in general peacetime sailing compared to the battles - disease, malnutrition, storms and so on. Not to mention the legendary pirates, the legacy of colonization in the Caribic... Or with ACU, we've got in touch with a real life costume designer specialized in period stuff, going through the patterns and fabrics and such. Or just how much of a mess the French Revolution has been with the constant shifts in power and the warfare, or real life Bastille vs. its reputation. Popes and the Swiss Guard, renaissance Venice, Byzantine soldiers, the birth of the USA... Really fascinating stuff and this was just the character aspect - then there's the architecture, the evolution of cities, weapons and so on.

Which brings me to my other point. I think the Assassin series has done more to educate young people about history than pretty much anything else nowadays. Almost a thousand years of mankind's journey, the evolution of society, culture, warfare... Just look at all the monuments recreated in their actual environments - Jerusalem, St. Mark's cathedral, the Bastille - and all the people who lived alongside these. You can sit down your parents in front of any AC game and spend hours just wondering around and they'll be captured - it's truly amazing and wonderful. I cannot even think about any other mass market game with a real world period setting, everything else is either WWII or fantasy or sci-fi. This is still a very unique thing and I can only appreciate Ubi's commitment here, whatever the actual games might be.

Sure, the focus has been on western society so long, but that is our culture, it makes sense to me that the series has focused on the more familiar settings so far. Victory feels very close to the end of the line here though, the only thing left to explore in my opinion is the Great War which should also close off the gameplay aspects with the industrialization of warfare. The time jumping aspect of the storytelling can then easily allow to expand the global scale, and Ubi also seems to listen to player feedback. For example there's the Marco Polo TV series coming out soon, it'd be pretty easy to add an assassin to the group and visit the Far East. Or there's ancient Greece and Rome and Asia that's been hinted at in the games - the possibilities are truly endless.

I do understand though that it's about the game in the end, with the mechanics and the quality of the code and all. People expect more than just an interactive history lesson, and they're right about that. But I believe that we should still appreciate the unique historical and cultural aspects of these games, they bring so much thanks to the possibilities of an AA franchise. I for one look forward to whatever comes next, it's still a very exciting ride.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Autoconnnn... commeee on buddy, stahp dat trolling homie.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    They should do... 2050 in Tokyo. Jumping around on neon buildings :D.

*sci-fi all day
  • josephrohdes221
    Just when I was ready to give up on AC, they manage to pull me back in...if it had been anything else but Victorian London I don't think I would have looked forward to this game.
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Bolshevik Revolution and after would've also been great. Making friends with Stalin only to discover too late that he's a Templar.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I kind of wish they would step away from Europe and go somewhere else. I do like Victorian era london, though. I hope there is a ssewer system to travel through. Fucking love sewer systems