Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Stylized Dungeon Set

Replies

• Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    The new ceiling is a lot better, concerning the overall image.
    If you have some polies left you could think about making it a bit more interesting than just a flat surface. (Dungeon built into a cave or freshly hewn rock.)

OP with suggested separation of the depth layers below.
    Movement will of course help as well.
    Value wise you might find it too bright, it's just to make the point.
    (Might also be a monitor thing, I tend to keep my screen rather dark, while I remember yours was pretty bright)

Ignore my older comment about the light shaft, I thought the light came from a hole in the ceiling right in front of the door.
    I made the next room blueish now, in order to match it with the blue light at the door, though depending on your plans that might look too much like an outside.

P41VRXY_op.jpg
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    @Noren : Thanks! I'm sorry for the late reply. I still have alot of gripes.
    The roof is actually a mesh, but if it doesn't read like that. That's obviously bad.
    I can't really make a unique roof, since it's supposed to be a kit, so it has to be modular. Your paintover looks really, really good. But I don't quite know how when I'm using a 2x2 meter grid.

I saturated the particles and added a more pronounced fog. Hopefully it adds more depth.

I'm still worried about the blue light, as it doesn't come from anywhere. But I can't have the scene all red/orange. Does it really look weird?

Here we go :

Za9fOEO.png
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Great!

Depending on the way the rooms are assembled, you could have larger tiles for the ceiling, or two sets of tiles (We never see it as closely as the floor or other objects.) But the roof was just an idea and obviously not a very practical one, so don't waste too much thought on it. The current one is just fine.
    The fog is better now and I can ever so slightly see the edges of the foreground. Could still be more for my taste, but I think in motion it should work well enough. (You could also go the other way round, dark BG and light FG. A clear separation might be formulaic, but it's a lot easier then having to balance out values all over the place.)
    I'd still remove the light next to the door, I think it's confusing.

Particles are much better now, in my opinion.

I'd take a look at the material of the fence, it seems to clean and reflecting too much light in places.

As for the blue light: It looks good, but to me it's indeed a bit weird when it comes from nowhere. Maybe add some blue orbs or torches left and right or above the door if the next room needs to stay fiery or add a skylight in the ceiling over the door. But in the end it doesn't matter too much as long as it looks good. If you want to assemble a lot of rooms and keep the theme of cold and hot, however, it may be a good idea to come up with the sources of this blue light for this set.

"But I can't have the scene all red/orange " Well, why not? Doesn't need to be the exact same red/orange everywhere, of course, e.g. what's blue/grey now could be a warm grey instead. But that's completely up to you, of course and will set a different mood.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Noren. I'll have to play around the the strength and distance of the fog, and watch it on a bunch of monitors aswell. ^^
    The particles actually did alot, when they're not as hot white. Thanks alot for the paintover.

The fence has the same material as the chains, but I see what you mean. I may have a light source too close to it or something, it looks really weird now that I see it ^^

I'm at the point where I'm getting blind from staring at it too much. :)
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm considering calling this one done and starting up a new project.

So if you have any feedback or criticisms speak now or forever hold your peace!

Q7ikY3w.png
  • elsewhere
    I'm just dropping by to say great job on this, I really like the colour scheme and the stylistic approach. Nicely done!
  • Sweetangel0467
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    I think moving on could be good :) Hope you learned from the experience :D
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    What is the actual source of the blue light? Based on the lighting it looks like the direction could be coming from the doorway. And yet when you look in the next room there is a strong amount of orange light trying to help set the focal point. But the light coming in is blue.

I understand what you are trying to do by having the cool colors complement the warmer colors. I like the color palette.

Not really sure what you could do about it at this point. And I know you are ready to move on. This may just be something to think about in the future or if you ever decide to come back to this.

The style is phenomenal though!

Edit: I see this was already addressed above. :)
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    @elsewhere : Thanks alot! :)

@Sweetangel0467 : Yeah, not completely happy with it. But considering the scope and timeframe it turned out alright. Hopefully next time I'll have a more interesting subject matter than another dungeon. :P

@Tobbo : Thanks, and it did bother me for some time. And I think it was kind of gradual as they were just really subtle fill-lights to begin with. But then as I saw the scene was so dark, I had to brighten them more and more.

So that's a good lesson I guess. Lighting is hard, and maybe sometimes it's better to start over instead of tweaking them for 4 weeks :P

I did one breakdown of the bricks but if anyone has questions about how I did the textures or anything sculpt related I could do some more.

So now it's officially finished and will soon hit the portfolio :)
    Thanks to everyone who gave feedback and those special people who did paintovers aswell :)