Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mod. H&K UMP with Attachements

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    vqu6rh8zhp6.png
    A quick First Person Shoot directly from Unreal Engine 4.
    I have decided to make the Whole Bake new in xNormal just to get the Picatinny Rail right without cutting the UV Shells :D
    Also some Parts of the Model have to been reworked just to be closer to the reference. I will use only 1 Bullet in the UVs but i will not overlap/mirror the magazine because its to big to be just a copy.

Textures absolutely not finished and the weapon looks boring without the Attachements which will come soon ^^

So lets do it.... :D
    vwqf2o7gtlq.png
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    DAAAAAAMN how many bakes are you doing hahaha. Diggin the material definition. I can tell what's plastic, rubber, and what's coated metal :D Once you add in the edge wear it'll look even better
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Ok, today night i started Texturing the weapon with the new bake.
    The xNormal Bake doesnt helped out much on that Picatinny Rail.
    Its because the whole Front of the Rail is one Shell with one Smoothing Group.
    But i dont want to Cut the UV Shell in thousand parts. The Rail will be covered by a Flashlight.

Ben Bolton? Lonewolf? When you see this ^^ how do you handle Picatinny Rails and Smoothing Groups? Are you cutting the whole Shell in thousand parts? I think this is stupid for texturing...

WIP:
    lqxhpx1wwex.png

So many bakes because every little improvement saved out ^^
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Gazu, What you can do, is to separate the tooth into elements if you don't have already. This will reduce the tris a bit, and it will shade better, or at least less gradienty. But the basic and best working solution is always to add chamfers or edgeloops. But probably you know this, but don't use for some reason :P It wouldn't give ANY change in performance if you would do it. It would consume only like a few hundred polygons.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Obscura, thank you for your answer.
    Well, Chamfers would add more Angles to the Picatinny Rail, what means more Angles = More Smoothing Shit ^^ = More Cuts in the UV Shells necessary. But also i know that more Geo helps for better Shading, thats true,yes.

I think that Smoothing Groups starts to shade bad from an angle of 45-50°.

Heres daT Bitch ;)
    z4lcxpucipeg.png

Cutting would make the shading perfect but then its bad for texturing because of the seams ^^
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wut? You was misleaded somewhere. You wouldn't need more smoothing groups, actually you would need less. Because the chamfers would reduce the gradients, so it would allow you to cut less. I make you an quick example about how the element tooth would look really quickly.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is how you can separate the tooth into elements. You won't need any edges on the mount of the rail then.
    Y1kIC7G.jpg
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    But adding chamfers = more tris.
    I´d go with smoothing groups and split UVs and no additional geo.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And what happens if you add something like 500 extra triangles, for getting better result? Nothing bad, you can be sure... I made an example about the chamfers too. Its a single chamfer, with edited normals. It clearly makes it perfect for baking.
    t4Zwfgj.jpg

There are cases when you are limited and can't use more geo than x but this is not the case. Anyways, if you don't want to chamfer, then the element thing can help. Also you would save a few damn triangles with that :P
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Obscura thank you for the example.
    Can i see where you have added Geo please?

Did you UV´ed the Rail and did you setted the Smoothing Groups from UV Shells then?

Edit:
    So you Detached the Tooth from the Rail?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, here it is. Its just a single chamfer, but the more important thing is how is the vertex normal's direction. They are perpendicular to their faces, so it makes the shading almost prefect even without a normalmap.
    9T2wcZU.jpg
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I detached to elements, not to individual objects. I didn't do an uvmap , but the detach thing would allow you to have the tooth only a few times on the uvmap, and copy it on the mesh. In the first example, you would split as you did usually. The example with the chamfer need a lot less uvsplit.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    So when the Tooths are detached in the UVs, then its pain for texturing ;)
    What happens with the Shading when you Lay the UVs out, like i´ve done? (Good for Edgewear) ^^
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah they are detached in the uv too. Its already a pain to texture because of the smoothing/uvsplits ;) Sorry but I don't completely understand what you ask in the second question.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Well, when i would detach the Tooths in the UVs i would get nice shading,too. You dont need the Chamfer then.

No Problem bro ;)
    When the Tooths are detached its more painful for texturing, thats what i mean.
    Because when you want to add edgewear you will have seams because of the detached elements. (When texturing classical in Photoshop) Maybe in Substance Painter it wouldn´t be a big problem.

And i want to texture completely alone in Photoshop without the help of any additional texturing tool.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, we are on a bit different opinion, chamfer has many positives, but do whatever you want. Okay Now I understand. Well, you can't really solve this without a detach or smoothing/uv split, maybe except if you would chamfer the whole thing. Then you can split the uvs wherever you would like to or not.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm....i think you dont understand me and i dont understand you ^^
    Here, cutted, perfect Shading, no Smoothing Group Gradient, would came out in the normal very clean:
    2546136br5ol.png
    But now texture this..... ^^
    And thats the point :)

Thats why i said : Maybe in Substance Painter the cuts wouldn´t be a big deal.
    But for classic texturing in photoshop its pain for edgewear T_T
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yesss, this is clear. This is why I would rather chamfer, even if it need some extra triangles. This is why I highly recommend it. Not just here, every time when the other solution would cause such uvmap.

Make the rail as one element, chamfer the edges, uv it as you want. Problem solved :D
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    But you chamfered and had nevertheless UV Cuts, so it wouldn´t help out when texturing.
    Thats why i asked do you have UV Cuts and you said yes.

Try to lay out the UVs without a Cut but with Chamfer, set your SGs to UV Shells, and lets see what happens ^^
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "set your SGs to UV Shells" ?? You wanted to write the opposite right? You don't need a smoothing split along every uvsplit. But you need an uvsplit along a smoothing split. This is why the chamfer is better. You can use only one smoothing group, edited normals, and then you can have it uved as you have originally, or in any way you want. Even it could be one single uv shell. Maybe I should come up with a new, whole process example with hp and lp and bake too.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    gya63gulcdz5.png
    From UV Shells, yes ^^

I will try chamfer the Rail and then i will post the result.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if this button is there, it works the opposite. It will work because then you will have uv splits along smoothing splits. And thats the point. But imagine a character for example. You clearly don't want any hard edge on it, so you don't do smoothing splits, but you must split the uvs at some places. And you still won't break the smoothing, and it will work just fine.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    zvk5impb41gf.png
    The Green ones are Chamfered.
    The red ones are the old. One UV Shell, like already shown.
    rvu46c1ne8vx.png

So it didnt helped out to chamfer them because the Smoothing Group have to make this large steps over the whole teeth.

I THINK, only cutting helps here out. But as i already said: For photoshop texturing its bad to have so much shells ^^
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edited normals rulez, but also you chamfered badly.
    ljyRkJ2.jpg
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    What do you mean with Edit Normals?
    When i Set the SGs from UV Shells, it will be the same. And i always set my SGs from UV Shells.

Ok then Show me your result with 1 UV Shell :P

Edit: Custom Normals?
    Hm good to know ^^

Which buttons are you using in the Edit Normals modifier to get the Normals Green ? ^^
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They turn to be green after you edit them. The important thing here is that they need to stand perpendicularry to the face. The simple chamfer doesn't give this as you can see on the example. They are on an average direction between 2 faces. In edit normals, you can rotate and move them manually, but there is a face radiobutton, and then you can seleft faces, and if you press "selected", it will rotate the normal to a better direction compared to the face. Unfortunately it won't be alway perfect by default, but then you can adjust them. I will show you the rail model with this edited normal thing , one sg, and one uv shell a bit later.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Ok now i understand :)

So there are now two options:

1. Cut the Shells
    2. Let it be one Shell but then there must be more geometry to edit the normals facing the direction of as example a face.

And again something learned :)
    Thanks ^^

But for now i will let it like it is, i mean its not visible so much and the flashlight will go over this ^^
    133ei82cmroh.png
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, as I said, do whatever you would like to, These are just my suggestions and tips. Anyways, I finished the lowpoly rail with chamfer, and edited normals. It looks completely fine to me with one smoothing group, and you could uv it in any way (example of character)
    z7mlqTr.jpg
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Nice, show me please your UVs

Edit:
    Hey Obscura, you know now, after your help, that i will Bake again? :D
    I want it to be perfect, and with your words it will be :)

And again... -_- .... ^^
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is how I would uv it then(almost the same as how you wanted):
    wseHCAE.jpg

You will obviously get some stretching on the tooth if you uv it this way, but you can texture continuously, as you wanted.

***You don't need to apply smoothing splits along uv splits, at least in this example, but as I wrote earlier, this whole thing works the opposite.***
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Slowly all is coming together...
    ojulf6xogfoj.png
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Lovin the strap clip. Makin one myself for that reworked sniper of mine. The material on yours is drool worthy!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Chase!
    I think now its done, added some small details to it:
    ytvvj8m7ugrd.png
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how its called in english, so I won't name it :D But the non-metal part should be a looot softer. I never saw a this sharp version of this material in the real life.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I´ve bumped it a bit more because from FPS View its barely visible.
    And with that it´s a bit visible ^^

Also i added some Bloom to the Picture, so the Plastic looks a bit to Shiny.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was talking about the strap's edges. That looks completely rounded in the real life. But yeah, the plastic part also looks too sharp :D
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I mean the Bump of the Strap :D

I think the Sharpness comes because of the Down-Scale from 4K to Full HD
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Elvis, I'm not sure if you're going for a different type of material for the strap but I found a nice tut on making a nylon one. That's what I'm making so I figured I'd link it to ya just in case.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcdJljmwQ4U[/ame]

Not the cleanest way, but effective still
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Chase!
    Thanks, i saw this Tutorial earlier. Thanks for bumping that :-)

I want to bake all Attachements for now. Then i will see if i will use that Alpha for the Strap.
    Thanks!
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Hm, I´d go with UVs and displacement (standard displace or noise maker) in Zbrush. I used that technique and it worked very well.

(you can see my results in my Artstatin page, if you want :) )
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Small Update:
    Weapon is textured.
    Now i will texture the EO-Tech, then the Flashlight, the Foregrip or the RearSight.
    I deleted the Strap and the DBAL Laser, actually it doesn´t fit well to the overall look of the weapon.
    cuvkhnbcq6k.png
    mederbyszkfo.png
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    texture looks really nice so far! can't believe you deleted the DBAL, that was so much work but I agree, the composition of the weapon looks much better now. you'll surely find a use for the laser later down the line, don't worry.

can't wait to see more textures!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    @Polygoblin: Thanks :)

Hey Guys,
    i´ve finished my UMP. Im totaly happy that i finished it. As you can see i removed the Strap and the DBAL Laser. And i changed the Foregrip. I like the look of the weapon now much more.

I rendered the Weapon in Unreal Engine 4 with a Light Setup i like on that weapon.
    Also i tried some different HDR Pano Setups. But enough talk, here it is finaly :-)
    rccnbod73s5.png
    dscrnn4vlmgk.png
    vj7w2o5ot9ll.png
    wik1dshvdrfo.png
    wopi9bys8hk.png
    2xzca9sx9db3.png
    wkxfeaymy9xk.png
    eidah5hk2neq.png
    2fp6w61bweac.png
    aiyo76r6vwm2.png
    uf92pn726pf1.png
    mldi2ck46ll.png
    9e4uonhcnd1o.png
    abvfrbeq97xf.png
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    No comments and already on 2nd page?!

Come on, this is not that bad for nooby work!
    No, seriously, turned out extremely well! Materials, rendering, everything looks awesome! Maybe I´d tone down some of the scratches, but that´s a personal thing.

Congratulations, Elvis, and looking forward to your next project! Keep me updated : )
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks bro! ;-)
    Im looking forward to see your 416 Game Ready :-)

@No Comments:
    I know why, because this thread is old and boring ;-)
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Haha, the moment I saw Shinigami I knew he wanted wires : D
  • beanster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beanster polycounter lvl 2
    Should put it in your signature mate so that everyone knows what you want.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    cdmbtw8zj5ua.png
    Here we go.
    Hm yes, the Flashlightbutton could be a bit lower ^^
  • Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Very awesome work you did there! I loved the progress, but for some reason a bunch of the WIP images aren't showing up for me... But the end result is amazing. Kudos!

What was the final tri count??