Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment artist - Intro & Portfolio critique,

Hi everyone, first post here.

So, I've been practicing for some time and I would really love to have some portfolio feedback. My focus is environments and I would like to get into the game industry as a concept artist. With that in mind: what should I be more concerned with? what are my mistakes and how could I corret them?

My full portfolio is here: http://vhh-concept.blogspot.com.br/
or here: http://www.artstation.com/artist/Victor_Harmatiuk

here some of my last pieces:
perspectoaih.jpg?1414664758

perspewpod.jpg?1414664311

victor-hugo-harmatiuk-portal-02.jpg?1412172451

victor-hugo-harmatiuk-envyronmentsd.jpg?1411940140

Replies

• goofstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey buddy, I'll just comment on the first piece.

Its beginning to look great, but when I look at this I feel like its still only a sketch. It is well painted and you should be happy with the results, but there should be at least some more added.

For example, the composition draws me to the left due to the dark/light contrast, but when I look there, there is not much to see! i think there needs to be a little more time added to fill in some details to at least explain a little more about the place we are looking at.

At the moment I have no idea what this place is. It's some sort of large building and a horsemen is riding towards it. But what is the building? Why is there no flags, or at least something to distinguish it from looking like an oddly shaped rock?

Also it does not hurt to add a little extras to explain size, such as birds. Birds are great for adding interest and scale. They also suggest the place is quiet and without human interference.

hope this helps a little :)
  • VH_Harmatiuk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply!

Yeah you are right, I'm usually very anxious to finish my paintings and I always end up by leaving it too vague for interpretation.

I've made this one this friday using more photobashing for the details.

alienVegetation.jpg?1416053648
  • Beestonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beestonian polycounter lvl 9
    Just a quick portfolio review of your artstation - I like your colours, and I like your moods. I like your ability to previsualize a very, very early mood sketch.

But if you want more work in the games industry as a concept artist, then I'd like to see more specific examples of 'designing' self contained assets. Right now you've got whole scenes with some beautiful colour composition and mood boards, but I want to see your ability to take a specific asset to a finished design.

Here are some great examples by Herman Ng:

gBCssvs.jpg

THe above is great because the linework construction can easily be turned into an orthographic that an asset artist can model from.

m8DP09H.jpg

Same idea, but rendered fully to give a complete view of how the texturing/normal maps should work.

Iu06M6M.jpg Another example.

Anyway. Hope this helps.
  • Beestonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beestonian polycounter lvl 9
    Also to add onto what Goofstudio has said, some storytelling in your designs go a long way. Who lives there, what kind of ecosystem is there, why are those rocks arranged the way they are. Try to avoid doing landscape designs for the sake of doing landscape designs. Ask yourself what they're there for, how the player might navigate those areas, whether it's a safe town or if there's an upcoming boss. Even try doing some level design layouts.
  • CDQuestia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beestonian wrote: »
    Also to add onto what Goofstudio has said, some storytelling in your designs go a long way. Who lives there, what kind of ecosystem is there, why are those rocks arranged the way they are. Try to avoid doing landscape designs for the sake of doing landscape designs. Ask yourself what they're there for, how the player might navigate those areas, whether it's a safe town or if there's an upcoming boss. Even try doing some level design layouts.

^what he said. Storytelling makes a huge difference on the way concept art is viewed.

As stated before, I'm a fan of your colors and moods!:)