Home Dota 2

imported models have wrong scale (Max2015)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
I think I was able to resolve my issue with forgetting to reset X-Forms before skinning by saving and re-importing the vertex weights once reseted.
Thread here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2180892

While the rig seems to work the scale of the imported meshes is still wrong.
Just did a quick thest with svens default horns:
ScaleProblem.JPG

I found this thread which got the same issue with Maya 2015.
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139761
Apparently the issue was that the workshop filed provided by Valve got wrong scales. So i would have to decompile the Dota files myself.

I gave it a shot by using
- GCFScape to extract the packed files
- Crowbar to decompile the .mdl
- WallWorm Tools QC Importer (seemingly the only Max 2015 compatible Importer)
But I end up with a huge mess.
decompiling%20problems.JPG

However when deleting the Skin modifier I end up with a way smaller mesh than the one from Valve's resources.
And it also has a different pose for the fingers!
Valve%20Template%20VS%20real%20File.JPG

So I guess my issue is infact with the template files valve provided.
But I can't seem to get the actual files successfully imported.

What tools do you guys use for Max2015 and how do you go about importing the meshes?
I also got a old license for Max2010 if there is no way arround it.

If anyone could share their imported sven mesh it would greatly help me finish this set, but I sure want to get it working myself for future projects.

Replies

• hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    yeah, I did some tests, the fbx its around 17% bigger than the one used ingame, a bunch of files on the requirements page are outdated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/62iq9vhknu3xnrv/Sven01.max?dl=1
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    hayes87 wrote: »
    yeah, I did some tests, the fbx its around 17% bigger than the one used ingame, a bunch of files on the requirements page are outdated.

Thank you!
    I converted the files units to cm, put my lowpoly over it and indeed it was much too large.
    Gotta see if I can reuse my exported skin weights aswell.
  • hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, its pretty much what i did on the file ive sent. Its a decompiled model with the fbx skin weights.
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    I think I need the head, shoulder, arm, belt and back too because I need their pivot points.
    The head ends up beeing rotated 90° to the right again.
    Gonna try to find any other importers that might work with 2015.

EDIT:
    IT seems the head is the only part that requires the old pivot.
    Or rather, the original head seems have to a non-reset pivot with X pointing up.
    So far shoulder and Back worked with ordianry reset X-Form.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    let us know if you need any other SMD model decompiled straight from the game files. It is always the safest way to go at it.
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    hayes87 wrote: »

all of the files are outdated, Booty hunter, Pugna, Jven, Axe, Magnus..... Lancer has some axis issues from what i remember....
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Apart from problems with Sven how does WallWorm work in general? It imports other models that are up to day correctly? Does models exported by it are imported in dota without problems?
  • hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, it works really well. Im doing a bunch custom stuff and didnt had a problem with it so far.
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    Strange, woder where im troubles are then, I was asuming wallworms importer is breaking things, or maybe its just compatibility issues with Max2015.
    I did read that the decopilation and unpacking of the native files needs the current soruce SDK (and seemingly some manual modifications as its not up to date for dota models)
    I didnt rly bother with that as i got no errors in the wole process.

As posted my workflow was:

- GCFScape to extract the packed files
    - Crowbar to decompile the .mdl
    - WallWorm Tools QC Importer (seemingly the only Max 2015 compatible Importer)

But I did not bother even downloading the source SDK on this machine.
    CannonFodder needed me to install some stuff iirc so I did just stick with crowbar.
    Do you use the same tools hayes?
  • hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, thats it exactly, 3dsmax 2015, crowbar and wallworm. But I dont import the qc itself, I rather import only the smds i need. I think the issue its that sven was saved with Y up, probaly exported from Maya. If you choose Y Up on the wallworm importer, it ends up with wrong rotation, its a bug. Might be best to import the SMD file without any rotation option and later import the bindpose.smd so u get the right position of the bones. Just need to xform the mesh so it defaults to the loaded pose.