Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Dark Princess Diana

Shools
null
Offline / Send Message
Shools null
Hi all! I am a student at UT Dallas and am glad to find the time to do this. :) I'm going to be doing Diana, my favorite hero!

Diana_2.jpg

Here is my most recent progress:

beauty1_zps10d3ccf5.png
Persp3_zps2ae683e0.png
20141112_140327_zps1056fac9.jpg

Replies

• Shools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shools null
    Here is my first design! Forgive my drawing skills :p

Diana_zps60e9586e.jpg

Here are a few color schemes I was thinking about:

Diana6_zpsabd53239.jpg
  • Shools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shools null
    Dark Princess Diana Lore -

Living out her life with the feelings of rejection and hatred for the Solari, Diana wandered the lands looking for some place to rest. Unknowingly, she followed the guidance of the moon which lead her to a strange and malicious land but somehow gave her the feeling of hope and love for the lunar entity. She came upon an old ruined temple intrigued, yet exhausted. She decided to rest there and search the temple in the morning. Within a matter of seconds, Diana was passed out on the temple floor.

As the long night drove on, she would soon be surrounded by local inhabitants of the temple that still remained all those long years. They planned to steal her belongings and leave her for dead in a hole nearby but she was protected by the armaments of the moon. Astonished, the inhabitants dropped to their knees and worshipped the girl before them. From the shadows, an elder with a crown stepped out. Why he wore the crown? Who knows.

The next morning, Diana was greeted merrily and offered a position among the high ranks of their society. She would be treated as royalty and given a crown by the king to symbolize her status. With the king content to watch his new prodigy lead their people, Diana decided it was time to build their lunar empire and take revenge on all those from their pasts. Dark Princess Diana was born.

• Shools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shools null
    A little refining on what some of the gear would look like, as well as another version of color.

sketch_zpsb8f238a5.jpg
  • Shools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shools null
    Another perspective of the gear. Made the crown stand out more.
    • I am most likely going to redesign the shoulders to stand out more and have some moon resemblance.
    • The chest to stomach area is still a little vague but am thinking on what would look best. I still plan on it having material across the chest attached to plate that goes into the shoulders, but not have the material reach all the way down the abs. Expect that design to alter as well.
    • The back/cape with the stars I am liking well. Considering changing the star shapes to crescent moons.
    • I am also liking the plate boots with stockings underneath very much. Expect those to stay.
    • The wrists are pretty close to final design but will probably clean up the look of it.
    • Still looking to redesign the weapon.
    Diana3_zps0a3c9f77.jpg
  • Shools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shools null
    The next iteration of my design. I am liking the new shoulders very much, but am still looking for a middle ground between the two designs. The chest to ab area is cleaner and makes more sense, except for the clavicle area now x.x

Diana1_zps64e192d9.jpg
  • Shools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shools null
    Here is the most recent iteration of my design. I turned it into a true breastplate and added in some design in the armor. I don't know if I'll keep it this way or not. Just experimenting. The shoulders are getting closer to what could work best as well. Now that I have a pretty strong base for the design, considering I will for sure change something along the way, its time to start blocking in the anatomy!

• I am also considering a tiara rather than a full crown to give a more sleek look, considering there will be a hair style going on there.
    • Considering adding in some more features to the back rather than a cape to make it look similar to the style of previous Diana skins which gives her outfits a certain uniqueness.
    Diana2_zpseb2fa6a0.jpg
  • Shools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shools null
    My most recent design. This one is almost the final version. I can see myself making some changes but this is pretty much it. I have already started blocking in the anatomy. About half way done.

sketch2_zps585241af.jpg
  • Shools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shools null
    I just finished blocking in the low poly base mesh for the model. Next I will work on the hair followed by the armor. This is the first full character model I have ever done and am working on improving its mesh flow each day. I am also learning how to create a good set up to render to show off my work so please accept these screenshots in the mean time :p.

• I also want to note that the head looks kind of awkward right now, but her forehead is pronounced for the emblem. The head looks a little small and the ears out of place, but this is only in preparation for adding in the hair which takes up about 1/3 of her head mass.

1_zps5552d05a.png3_zps73ff0202.png2_zps546d7466.png
  • Shools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shools null
    Went back in and did some minor tweaking and cleaned up the mesh flow some. Still working on that part tho. But I'm satisfied enough to move on to the hair.

Before_After1_zpsbfd24379.jpgBefore_After2_zps3bbf5566.jpgBefore_After3_zps8bee5664.jpgBefore_After4_zpsd083b55e.jpg
  • Shools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shools null
    So here is probably the final iteration of the design I'm going to do to give you guys an idea of what's going on. There are a few variations of things I will model and see which I like best. I'm most likely going for 1, 1A, and 1B.

I recently researched the proper pipeline to making game models in today's industry and have adjusted. I am learning Zbrush and have already halfway completed a new base mesh of the model in less than half the time it took me to model it in maya. Progress to come in the next couple days. I'm very much looking forward to having a high poly sculpt along with the mesh I will be using for texturing!

20141112_140327_zps1056fac9.jpg
  • Shools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shools null
    So I went ahead and decided to finish with the low poly building even though that's not the preferred method. I thought it'd be better to have something done and ready to go just in case I don't have enough time for Z-brush with finals around the corner. So here we go! I finished all the low poly modeling with a few versions and kept it under 10k tris! Check it out.

The end version is the one on the left for now. The one in the middle is the version based off my drawing where I thought I could have a plane constrained to the camera to constantly show a particle floating on the gear. Imagine that plane as alpha mapped and glowing. The other version is well ribbons, ribbons everywhere and I personally like it the most but I wonder if others will find it too overboard. It has two extra ribbons hanging from the shoulders and two more from the back of the boots.

The original version is the one on the left in the front view and the back of every other view.

• Weapon design still to come!

front_zps9407452a.pngside_zps51e86ab8.pngPersp_zps7c6e9a18.pngpersp2_zpsb665cf11.png

And.. a beauty shot. Closer look and smooth mod on certain parts to show what it'll start to look like when I take it into Z-brush!

beauty1_zps10d3ccf5.png
  • genz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Great improvement from the last model.
    Let's see how you will progress with the texture