Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Edge wear issues with Normal map padding

Bryan3d
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Bryan3d polycounter lvl 8
Hi! I'm having a great time with the Quixel suite but I do have a problem that I need help with. When I attempt to apply "Edge Splatter" to my model the edge splatter traces along the normal map padding edge and not the actual edge. The normal maps I use have several pixels of padding and I am now seeing things like this edge splatter using the normal edge padding and not the actual edge to apply the effect. The model is a simple crowbar. I added a few maps to show the issue. Thank you for your time and help!

Replies

• Bryan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I forgot to click the upload button for the pics.
  • Bryan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a better example. I overlayed the images on the normal map to show that dDo is using the edge padding not the actual edges. One of the maps used for the overlay is the MATID.
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    I'm thinking that you might need to bake 2 normal maps. One that has 0 edge padding that will be used with DDO so it follows the edge more closely, and a second that has the edge padding that you'll use for your export (this one would go as its own layer above the "Texture base" that you leave turned off until you're ready to export maps from DDO).
  • Bryan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl wrote: »
    I'm thinking that you might need to bake 2 normal maps. One that has 0 edge padding that will be used with DDO so it follows the edge more closely, and a second that has the edge padding that you'll use for your export (this one would go as its own layer above the "Texture base" that you leave turned off until you're ready to export maps from DDO).

Thanks for the response. That sounds like a good work around. I will have to test it to check if it will work. I am hoping some Quixel peeps can chime in with a solution :)
  • ajherzog1234
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have had this problem too and I hope they can make a fix to this instead of doing a workaround.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi! Just as CKhol suggest, a padded normal map is not ideal for DDO so the solution he suggests is a good one! We´re looking in to a option to export with edgepadding from the suite without having to to it before hand, that would solve all of the problems related with edge padding :)
  • Bryan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi! Just as CKhol suggest, a padded normal map is not ideal for DDO so the solution he suggests is a good one! We´re looking in to a option to export with edgepadding from the suite without having to to it before hand, that would solve all of the problems related with edge padding :)
    Understood, thanks!
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10

That would certainly be helpful if you can pull it off!