Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] Malzahar

Hey all!

EDIT: Current state:
b5f89381a7a09af7dac8ceb1f4c2a91e.png

Since Malz is getting a bit outdated I decided to give him some love. Here are some WIP silhouettes and sketches of my attempt at redesigning his classic look (+ bonus minions):
malz_silhouette_by_lizzuzci-d83duim.jpg

As the classic Malzahar looks a bit boring, I tried to spice up a bit. Still haven't reached a design that feels like Malzahar, but I'm getting closer! Too many similarities to ninjas and other champions.. Please tell me what you think!

Replies

• moch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is certainly good work!!
    All of the sketches and silhouettes look rad.
    I also like how you spiced it a bit although I do have to agree it does give a ninja-like feel.
    Keep up the great work~

(those minions are so adorbs too)
  • Domax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good start! Difficult to choose between all the silhouettes. I think I prefer 3 6 7 and 11. Can't wait to see your Malzahar too!
  • Fetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks moch and Domax! I'm still being quite indecisive about his design, it's hard to combine his Shuriman background with Void... But here are some quick thumbs I made, none of which is final, just playing around to see what kind of composition works best.
    1ac702ad239aa1d782b2502f6f323c8b.png
    Any comments and critique is welcome!
  • Domax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I like the 2nd and the fourth one :)
  • blue_skies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blue_skies polycounter lvl 4
    Super nice energy in those thumbs. Damn.
  • Fetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Domax and blue_skies <: Sorry for the lack of updates, university and work take their toll..

First, the used ref/inspiration pictures. I tried to dig up a lot of Shuriman/desert stuff.
    b33c8fb28d5d455e6f9ba1a2c7a43725.png

I decided to stick with the 4th silhouette and continued from the sketches I made earlier. And since Malz has some glow-y runic writing on his robes, I tried how'd it look on these designs. The second from the left has identical runes to the classic Malzahar skin. The runes look kind of crude so they'll get discarded for now.
    f8201ef81686d62429f6a1bb9277f6e0.png

Then I combined the things I liked the most about each design and ended up with this:
    9a70e635a3bfcaccd321a322c5f43224.png

The same with a slap of colour, tried to combine Shurima with Void. Ended up looking quite close to the Overlord skin, so I still have to work with this. Going to stick with a purple colour theme as it is supposed to be Malz.
    b066009705e833e14e96c3fbda8d5fef.png

Then the minions! Again, I started with really quick silhouettes. First silhouette as a reference to the original. I tried to keep the overall look somewhat recognisable.
    91ebb3581015cb8ab11468d37e96aaf3.png

Usually I draw more silhouettes before I stick to a design, but I liked the last one so I just picked it out. Tried a more insect-like look and more void-like. Probably going to stick with the void one. And then I slapped some colour on the minions as well. Left one's supposed to be recently summoned minion and right one once it grows/goes to frenzy.
    74d4d5438d8adfabcc9062dafc609af5.png

Comments and critique are always welcome <:
  • Fetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mechbunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oo wow great colors *~* The atmosphere in this pic is excellent~ :D
  • Fetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mechbunnies!

Here's some progress:
    73ed5938ba67ad8493e52014b1c744f5.png
    So the League wiki says the following about Icathia: "...alien geometry of a ruined city adorned with bizarre crumbling obelisks and the giant decaying idols of dark and horrific gods." Tried using weird rock formations instead of alien geometry, seemed more appropriate.

d8da6054c2d78830c146aa83c8d4ec41.png
    Flipped it to match the 'splashart standard' and fiddled a bit with his pose. Also adjusted the colours to match the theme (less Ionia wibe).

b1133c9f0143e8ec3bf7737496c0277c.png

Pretty much all the basic shades on Malz are now done. Time to throw on more cast shadows and such, then comes wear and tear <: Soon minions!

Though, now that I look at Malz, his hand and pelvis are in dire need of fixing.. If you guys see something out of place please tell! o/
  • Fetus
  • Fetus