Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Animation

[Riot Art contest] - Kristoffer Björklund

Hello fellow Creators & Summoners!
I am so glad I found this contest, this sounds amazing!
Time for some planning & tinkering! :D!

There we go! ^^ I am so happy with the result. Thank you all for pushing me and motivating me to achieve my goal, to improve as an animator and strive for new better goals!

Enjoy! <3:D

sB3TeqU.jpg
cQo7FNg.jpg

SpCt50E.gif2ESfhct.gif

Replies

• Kristoffer Björklund
    Here is a small update for the challenge!

As for me, I love storytelling and planning my Animations from a short backstory, to get to know the character more.

I have taken freedom to create a new League of Legends character that I would love to play as. I have been trying my best to put her inside the story as a friend to Jinx and Viktor.

Zerina - The Gladiator of Zaun Top/Support/Jungler by Kristoffer Björklund (League of Legends Name: Loopaguz)

Friends: Jinx, Viktor
    Rivals: Vi

Lore
    Raised by a crazed family in Zaun, it didn't take long until Zerina decided to run away. She took the steam ferry over to Piltover and wandered the streets until she finally met Vi.

The young girls connected instantly and found a deep friendship, They understood eachother. They loved the thrill of making heists together. The years went by and the day came when friends became enemys and not just your avarage enemys. Zerina and Vi despise eachother.

During the Mining Facility incident, Zerina tried to run and flee the scene. She didn't come far until a massive pile of rocks fell from the ceiling and crushed her legs. Barely managing to escape with her life intact that day Zerina blames Vi for what happened that day. Her stay in Piltover was not to last long. Back in Zaun, Zerina tried to find ways to get her legs back and started to study hextech devices at the college of techmaturgy, where she could finalize her design of her hextech boots by the help of Viktor.

Zerina thought it would be a good thing to try them out, wich made her join the gladiator arena in Zaun. Zerina quickly grew among the ranks of Gladiators in Zaun and quickly got the nickname: "The Calm before Chaos". When crowned champion of the Arena, Zerina joined League of Legends to see if anyone could give her a fair fight but also, to hunt down the one she despise the most...

Skills
    Passive-RAMP UP!: Every 4 attack recieved, Zerina gains increased movement speed for 5 seconds.

Q-Dread Tronics: Zerina jumps a short distance, axekicking the ground and dealing damage on impact and stunning enemies within the stun zone. Stun Duration 1.5 sec

W-Vibro Barrier: The shield defend Zerina from any type of harm for 4 seconds. When activated the shield does dmg to attacking enemies but also heals nearby friendly champions as the shield depletes. Shields/Heals 80/120/200/250/300

E-Thrusters: Zerina activates her thrusters and dashes away from the way Zerina is facing. If Zerina collides with an enemy champion, Zerina will knock that champion aside.
    Range: 600/625/650/675/700

R-Shockwave!: Zerina unleashes her chaotic power, jumping up in the air and stomps the ground with tremendous force, knocking away all enemys that are within range and scatter them in random directions.

Quotes
    During RAMP UP!:
    "Adrenaline starts to KICK IN! WOOH!"

Runs:
    "Here we go again!"
    "These things runs on their own sometimes!"
    "Oh, I could use a bath right now..."
    "I'm on it!"
    "Riiightoo!"
    "Woah! Don't want any lag in these systems!"

Jokes:
    "Oh hi there... I didn't see you under my foot."
    "Let me just... UH... who are you again?"
    "STOMP! STOMP! STOMP! Who's there?! Oh... it's me."
    "You got two options, 1: You try run and I stomp you... 2: I stomp you now!"

Taunts:
    "C'mon! Let's dance!"
    "You don't look like much to stomp..."
    "You gonna need a bigger army..."
    "Are you trying to kill me... with THAT? Hahaha!"
    "Brrrriiing it OOON!"

Dance: Inspired from Pulp Fiction, Mia Wallace dance.

Laugh:
    "Pffff... Haaaahahahah!!"
    "Heh.. HEH, hehehehehe!!!"
    "Hahahaah oooh.... oh... need a breather... HaAHA!!"
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    Here is a short flow study of my runcycle animation for Zerina. :) Tried out a few things and got stuck with this main idea for this particulary Animation.

UlUhOZr.jpg
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    Since her most important asset is her boots I also got some ideas down on paper.
    FflEDJD.jpg

And if this hasn't come to mind yet, Zerina is not an ideal slim champion. She is a bit more bulky and I will be using Joe Daniels rigs for this challenge. :) I think that the Stella Rig have everything I need to deliver these awsome Animations for you guys! Going to be awsome!

http://artofjoe.blogspot.se/
    character_lineup_01.jpg

Big creds goes out to Joe Daniels for this amazing Rig Pack! :)
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    As I am working on my block out for the run cycle I took a little tea break here and made some research for Zerinas Ultimate Ability, the Shockwave. :)

tUFqxfO.jpg
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    Hello everyone! :) Here is a small update on my first animation so far, the run cycle.
    I am done with the first blockout and I got 3 passes of fixes and some finetuning to do still. :) Enjoy!

Game View:
    OWicuLS.gif

Front:
    Y3v2oun.gif

Side:
    67GSigL.gif
  • Mokia_Sinhall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her chest seems to stick/hit a wall when it hits (her) left side. Maybe see if you can smooth that action out a little.
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    Thanks! :) I will look into it.
  • Snochy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She appears to be to be really stiff and robotic. If that's you are going for that's fine. If not loosing her up when be needed.
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    Yeah you're right. Way too stiff.

I want to sell the fact that her robotic leg-attachments are heavy.

My goal is to make this character Zerina feel like she moves sturdy and not too bouncy, a "Stompy stomp" kind of feel.

I apprieciate all the nice feedback. :) Thx.
  • chopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the part that feels like it sticks or stops is because you have a duplicate frame in there.
    To make her look like she's stomping I think you might need to move the COG a bit more, and maybe if you can try leave the feet on the ground a bit longer, or take more time to lift the foot then drop it fast.
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    Thank you for the great feedback chopp. :)

I have gotten some more time to work on the runcycle today and here is my update so far!
    First off I wanted to speed her up but I am not sure if it's a bit too fast now... I am always balancing my thoughts like this.

I have some more work to do here before I achieve the feel that I want to have. It's the stompy feel I want to achieve with the right weight and timespan. It's hard to find that sweet spot... any comments and feedback on how to achieve that would be most welcome! :)

What do you guys think so far?
    I think I articulate the hips a bit too heavy here, however I feel like I am getting closer to my goal! :)

Front View:
    99nnDI3.gif
    Side View:
    5cpqDVs.gif
    Game View:
    dnf7EgJ.gif
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    I also got some time to block out the ultimate animation.

Here is my first takes on the blockout.
    Side Views
    UXQyVwt.gif
    iO0gLQ0.gif

Front Views
    Erl57Fc.gif
    8NFgmna.gif

Game Views
    5RXjW8F.gif
    QN0ZjGG.gif
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    Hello fellow creators & summoners!

I have finally gotten some more time to work on the animations and I am so happy where I have gotten with them. Here are two progress pictures!

SpCt50E.gif

2ESfhct.gif
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    There we go! ^^ I am so happy with the result. Thank you all for pushing me and motivating me to achieve my goal, to improve as an animator and strive for new better goals!

Enjoy! <3:D

sB3TeqU.jpg
    cQo7FNg.jpg

SpCt50E.gif2ESfhct.gif