Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Soraka Starchild

Soraka_0.jpg

Hiya people!

Samuel here

Heard about this epic contest and thought I have to join in! Looks like a lot of fun!
I've decided to go with Soraka! Might probably just stay with origional skin or try and accentuate some more unicorn type features.

Here is my initial block in, trying to figure out some elegant slender proportions before I move ahead. ^^

Initial_block_in.jpg

strollinthewoods for the heads up, Trello works a treat!

Replies

• SammehSAMURAI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a bit more looking at anatomy and proportions, changed things up a bit and started smoothing things out.

002_second_pass.jpg
  • strollinthewoods
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    strollinthewoods polycounter lvl 2
    I have found that using trello is a very convenient way to get image urls to forums like thise one. Just make a trello for your project - and drag n drop images in there, and pick up the url from the images as soon as they are in trello. (use the advanced - insert image button and paste the url in there )

If you have never heard of trello - go check it out - your in for a treat.

Its way faster than any other approach that I used to do like, flikr, drive, dropbox, photobucket . etc.
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Hey another Soraka!
    Nice start so far, I'd slim her out quite a bit more specifically in the chest and stomach area, and maybe elongate her legs more before moving onto clothing.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see more.
  • SammehSAMURAI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Strollininthewoods, Thanks for the heads up! I was trying to use the URL produced directly by the attachment manager within this forum, I later realized it wasn't an actual .jpg file or anything. Trello works nicely! :)

@Lavitz, Hey man! as a fellow Soraka creator I appreciate you giving me some advice! pretty great community here! Just checked out yours too! she's looking awesome! tough competition!
    I did what You said: (thined out the ribcage, chest and arms, elongated the legs, re-positioned.. some things lol) and am much happier with the results, So here's the latest Update. ^^ Yet to figure out what I want to achieve with the hoofs :)

Soraka_stretchy.jpg
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Definitely looking more like her physique. Awesome response to criticism and quickly at that!

Thanks for the kind words, Yours is looking awesome too! Every update is a huge improvement. Keep it up =D
  • SammehSAMURAI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lavitz Thanks man, Indeed I was much happier with it than the previous variation, Here is another update, I had some crucial feedback from a good friend of mine, here are the results, a little more form tweaking and some anatomical landmarks vs plane changes.

I think I'm really going to play on her Unicorn features and go for something innocent and magical ^^
    (hair is placeholder)
    Soraka_Thanks_Kei.jpg
  • SammehSAMURAI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another little update, started blocking out the outfit. It's not much yet, just a basic idea for direction. :)
    Soraka_in_dress.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This is shaping up nicely. Folds on her dress looks a tad odd though. Also the hair flow looks strange coming straight off the scalp like that...should flow down to her neck and then flow out from there...
  • SammehSAMURAI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Slosh, thank you kindly, yeah, maybe the dress is a bit tight, created in marvellous designer could do with some tweaks, I agree in the hair, not happy with that yet, it's currently a place holder, if I go with that style it is intended to be held up with thick hair ties, but I like your flowing hair idea, like a unicorns mane! :) back to the drawing board I go!! :D
  • SammehSAMURAI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow in updating, but I managed to put a few more hours in today :) and I re-did her dress, along with the addition of her polearm/stave/whacky stickamajig! :) various trinkets and new hair style! another_update.jpg
  • meshola
  • astrodisiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That hair is legendary
  • SammehSAMURAI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks peepz! :)
    here's another little update, started painting some things. Haven't had much time to put aside for her lately. so we'll see how much I can get done!unicorn_girl_wip.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Nice progress ! Maybe the gem is too large compared to the concept...
    Also her cheeks are REALLY round, too round in my opinion. They surely give her a babyface, but the are a bit too round I think.
  • SammehSAMURAI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt wrote: »
    Nice progress ! Maybe the gem is too large compared to the concept...
    Also her cheeks are REALLY round, too round in my opinion. They surely give her a babyface, but the are a bit too round I think.

Thanks man, I will look into adjusting the gem stone size and possibly un-rounding the cheeks lol although I'm glad you say that, because I was definitely aiming for a baby face innocent quality, while following the main concept still trying to add my own personal spin :)
  • SammehSAMURAI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is another bit of an update. All low poly and textured with UV's now. although it's the first time I've gone as far as trying to make a game asset, so It's not the cleanest topology and UV's could be far better. will put some screenshots of those up in the next installment. posed.jpg
  • SammehSAMURAI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in the end, I managed to piece together some semblance of an entry! have had next to no time to work on her, so I think I got a bit sloppy towards the end, also Topology and UV's are pretty much new territory for me... so It's pretty rough, not even sure she'd be game ready xD haha
    But here she is all the same! Soraka Star Child, my take on the original concept art.Low_poly_beautyshot.jpgSoraka_compo.jpgConstruction_sheet.jpgHi_res_beauty.jpg