ZenDavis
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ZenDavis polycounter lvl 6
WqHRfE9.jpg

alDO5tv.png

LTXE3i4.jpg

couch.jpg

Been trying to get this looking right. I think I'm almost there. Any tips?

Replies

• grimsonfart
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    Its a bit too shiny. From a distance it almost looks like a glossy car paint. Turn down the gloss map a bit.
  • ZenDavis
    Offline / Send Message
    0111283_PE261985_S5.JPG

That is the reference I used. Would reducing the gloss map help me to achieve that? Or should I go in another direction with this?
  • Avvi
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Give it more variance - glossy/rough noises, one several centimeters wide and one, subtle, much bigger in size (like what you have on the side of your reference sofa).

In the brown leather it's also due to dirt. In the second, I wonder whether it's more roughness variance or height variance. Oh and I noticed one thing - there are smaller cracks and bigger cracks (subtly visible, but still, the real photo doesn't look "tiled" :D not so uniform).

Still, your sofa looks like it's not so far away. More roughness maybe. But the problem Grimsonfart mentioned really exists.
    So... maybe it's about model now? Too artificial, too smooth? Like a balloon, the air pressure smoothening the folds to zero? Maybe you should allow some gravity here, some wobbliness.

Tc7Kfu3.jpg
    http://imgur.com/Tc7Kfu3
  • AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Post up the maps you are using, being able to see the actual values themselves would make it easier to debug the material.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You need more low-frequency detail in your textures and in your baked normal map. You aren't going to get the result like in that reference unless you sculpt those wrinkles out.
  • ZenDavis
  • Ootrick
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    +1 for casting couch.
    Seriously though mentioned above, you need some variance in that albedo.
  • ZenDavis
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have an example of what you mean by variance?
  • AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Before we even talk about giving the leather some wear, you need to first make it feel like leather. The picture Avvi posted is pretty good reference, notice all the cracky vein like structures. Those structures should be represented within your normal, roughness and even a bit within the Albedo.

Check out this tutorial, it talkes a lot about natural noise and variation.

Once you've started getting the feel of leather down you should add some wear to is, make it feel used. Has this couch been sitting in a dark storage container for all time or is it exposed to the sunlight and have parts of it been bleached slightly. Have people spilled coffee on it or have there been other stains.
  • grimsonfart
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    Plane001DiffuseMap_zps9801f785.jpg

An example of wear. Just did a quick job, details should be smaller. Better of doing this in a 3d painting app rather than in PS.
  • Avvi
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Check out this tutorial, it talkes a lot about natural noise and variation.

Great link, Robin. The author discusses topics that I had in mind for a long time but didn't have a common name for them. Natural noises, that's it!

Badly designed noise textures tend to repeat themselves quickly, thus becoming meaningless. Natural leather grows by a pattern, that's true, but the process has flaws. The animal knows somehow that skin has a roughness of 0.6 and crack depth of 0.05mm. Though, at some part of the process, anomalies happen. Then during the lifetime some cells get damaged, as on your own skin. That's the variance :)

Even if the detail is not exactly tiled, it is not enough, unless there will be random spots of brighter value. You need some other patterns, bigger than the base noise frequency.
    So the advice to take patterns from photos is both simple and great.

Thinking with layers could be useful too. Look what NDO does... they even have nice names for them:
    BJHCLcV.png