Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Art Improvement

Replies

• Heartfulwarm
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartfulwarm polycounter lvl 3
    Well, I had been doing some studying on anatomy; I'm working on the hair at the moment here's the reference for what I'm going for.

164ee03bb10c03cf56a289052f370c00.jpg

Before I start baking the head, I was going to see which nose could be more suitable for PowerGirl, would it be A or B.

uyqLFzt.gif
  • Heartfulwarm
    Offline / Send Message
    I went with B. I decide to add a lot more detail onto PowerGirl's face and body. I'm using the HD geometry mode for it and I'm figuring out how I can bake the geometry (the hd version) onto the low poly one. I'm on my way to bake the eye brows and eye lashes, once I get the chance to do so.

RKPHDxq.jpg

OKxXaHd.jpg

VmxlbHa.jpg

VOq1rK5.jpg
  • Heartfulwarm
    Offline / Send Message
    I was tweaking out the skin shader in Unreal 4 to see how it looks. I was only able to bake out a nude model for now (I don't think I can delete parts of the HD Geometry and get rid of it) for the details. I was also baking out the hair, but the hair needed more variety and the clumps of hair were insufficient for what I was doing. I made a low poly model for the skin, and I can't export the HD geometry out to Xnormal and I got some noticeable seams along her legs.

RUIM3Yb.png
    FZPqBIq.png

fa1yHhG.png

KFGNLnW.png
  • Heartfulwarm
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the eye finished, sculpting it in was the easiest part of the process; I didn't get enough time to capture some other stuff I did, like the rope for example. But I'm not finished with PowerGirl yet, since I have another project I'm working on. :poly127:

TZHtkC1.png
  • Heartfulwarm
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't rig her yet, since I have make her cape (which is giving a hard time) and bake out her suit and stuff.

VkTJ8fk.pngy8Kmj8d.png

I need to work on her hair a little bit to make the shading look right.

EeoIaUb.pngBgAfSBa.pngFbokdK0.png

But I don't have any more problems with the HD geometry anymore. :)

v10lhMT.png

I don't know if there are other improvements I should make, in regards to skin shading.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You should spread her legs out more for the T pose. Rigging with the knees bent that close together will not make a smooth skin bind from the beginning.

Nice progress. Your eyebrows are not reading correcetly though. They read more like stubble, less like strewn hair swept to the sides as they are placed on the brow.
  • Heartfulwarm
    Offline / Send Message
    You should spread her legs out more for the T pose. Rigging with the knees bent that close together will not make a smooth skin bind from the beginning.

Nice progress. Your eyebrows are not reading correcetly though. They read more like stubble, less like strewn hair swept to the sides as they are placed on the brow.

Sorry for the long delay ladies and gentlemen, I was busy with other things. I decide to scrap the old model and replaced it with a more anatomical version. The hair and eyebrows will be redone, I'm planning on a polycount amount that's greater than before, the older model had about 40,000 - 50,000 polygons, while this model will probably be at least 150,000 after testing some low poly for the mesh. The clothes will need some clean up, since the gloves, leotard, belt and cape were generated in Marvelous Designer.

I decide to go a little off concept and make my own version. I thought it would be better to loosely base her body of off a Brazilian model to make look more muscular and add some fat/cellulite at parts of her body make her more feminine and realistic. One of the things I wasn't sure at first, but I might have fucked up on, was the lack of veins around her muscular areas and her lips. Her eye brow in the pictures are a placeholder for a prettier one.

I spread her legs as needed for rigging, I need to rebuild her boots again. Her hair is a concept, so I'm replacing it with something else. The only annoyance I have with the Unreal Engine 4 shader, mainly with the new hair shader is the rendering of blonde hair is somewhat obsolete in my experience. Trying on blonde hair usually give out weird artifacts of black square dots around characters with the skin shader, also even when I try making the hair look dark blonde without the dots, it just looks more dark blonde than light like in the reference I've uploaded.