Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Animation

[Riot Art Contest] - Marissa Huculak

Ambehr
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Ambehr polycounter lvl 3
Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Last Update (December 19):

Attack Front View
[vv]114955946[/vv]

Attack 3/4 Game View
[vv]114957918[/vv]

Run Front View
[vv]114955945[/vv]

Replies

• Ambehr
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambehr polycounter lvl 3
    Went with one of my first ideas as a start. Tried to keep the idea fairly straight forward and snappy to the idea. Might have over shot the stretchy-ness of his arm in the one frame though. This animation is a bit simpler than I really wanted so I'm not sure if I will keep it or go for another idea I'm processing. Will keep this updated. Any comments/critiques are welcome.

Are we allowed to use place holder effects?

u_SF5X.gif
    gzrXWw.gif
  • LiamReynolds
    Offline / Send Message
    LiamReynolds polycounter lvl 3
    very nice, are you using version 1.0 or 2.0 of the rigs? - just asking as you have no concerning twists on the arms or mid section of the torso :D
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Nice start! For your question about effects, this is from the rules - "Do not have any post effects or camera shakes to the piece". Good luck!
  • Ambehr
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambehr polycounter lvl 3
    @LiamReynolds I'm guessing it the 2.0 since I just bought the pack when it went on sale earlier this month. There is a "Nullify Twist" option in the Channel Box when you click on the Upper_Arm control in FK and the Arm control in IK. This option stops the constant twisting that may occur.

@AnthonyAnimation Thanks and glad to know. :)
  • Ambehr
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambehr polycounter lvl 3
    Haven't updated this in a while. Been seeing some pretty awesome ideas in this contest! In this update I'm going to share a couple animations that I have been working on and trying to figure out what I want to do/where I want to go.

1) Hammer: I kind of wanted to keep with the hammer animation that I first started but continued to add a bit more. Here's my first pass on the new idea. Will work out the timing and other stuff in a bit. (I'm going to put the other ones as links since the post would be huge otherwise. Sorry it's blurry.)

uo9xKA.gif
    Front View
    Side View

2) Spirit: I also tried to get some of my other ideas in to 3D though I'll see about what I want to do with them. This one involves a boy that is possessed by a spirit that act in a symbiotic relationship. When the boy attacks the spirit will, in a way, repeat the motion the boy is doing.

Three Quarter View

3) Ice Mage: In this animation I was trying to figure out another mage that would be from the Freljord but I don't know if I can continue on this one since it's a bit too close to Syndra's ultimate so it will probably get scrapped.

Three Quarter View
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Yes! I really like the where the hammer animation is headed. This has a lot of potential. I don't have too many suggestions, but try and make the cartwheel (where he picks up the hammer) more clear from the League camera. Adjusting the timing for this area will help as well.
  • jarvin88
    Offline / Send Message
    jarvin88 polycounter lvl 3
    Digging the idea behind the hammer flip attack. Maybe put a plane down to help out that topview a little better, kind of hard to read without seeing the sideview. With some spacing and a bit more overlap, i think its gonna turn out nice! Keep it up :)
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I think you're off to a great start. For the throw I would adjust the angle of the throw so that the hammer dips at the beginning and raises before he releases it.

hammertime.gif

If you watch some hammer toss techniques you'll see what I'm getting at.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHUAc20WEU
  • Ambehr
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambehr polycounter lvl 3
    @AnthonyAnimation: Thanks! I'm glad you like it so far. :D Yeah, I think when the timing is more put in it should read better but the poses could be pushed more. I'll take a look in to that soon and spline it out.

@jarvin88 Thanks for the comments! I have a side view in a URL link right underneath the top view gif if you'd like to take a look. I'll put a plane in next time so that you can read it better.

@monster: Awesome reference and thank you for showing me! I'll be taking this in to consideration when I continue on. :)
  • Ambehr
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambehr polycounter lvl 3
    Spent a little time away from the ultimate idea and tossed down a run cycle.
    [vv]111501981[/vv]

Will be revisiting the ultimate animation soon with a bit of a different angle.
  • Ambehr
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambehr polycounter lvl 3
    Back with a hammer-bro update! (Almost been a month since my last one... eek!) Ended up going another direction from my last update. Looking for any comments and/or critiques!

[vv]113861505[/vv]
  • Ambehr
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambehr polycounter lvl 3
    Well everyone, we are reaching the end of the contest! It has been a honor and pleasure looking at all the animations that have come along their way from idea's to polished! This is my final post for the contest. In the end, I'm not completely satisfied with how my animations turned out and it made me notice how I still have a long way to go in animation.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy! :)

Attack Front View
    [vv]114955946[/vv]

Attack 3/4 Game View
    [vv]114957918[/vv]

Run Front View
    [vv]114955945[/vv]