Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M1A1 Carbine progress

Replies

• james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    james swanson polycounter lvl 5
    @Joano Thanks for the crit. I guess I kinda got carried away with the edge wear, especially on that ~120ยฐ angle slope, which doesn't even have any wear according to the ref. I'm currently going back and redoing all of the details.
  • Odeca
    Offline / Send Message
    Odeca polycounter lvl 3
    Looking good, myself made one last year but was not as good as your one. But why you made it yellow? Yellow was the colour in very early stages of war, also pineapple grenade in that period were painted yellow :D
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    I explained why I made it yellow a couple posts above :D
  • Odeca
    Offline / Send Message
    Odeca polycounter lvl 3
    Oh sorry, I missed it ahahah :D
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    I redid the wear on the grenade:

85bUP.jpg

I also added bolts, and edited some of the edges to make them more accurate.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Got the M11A3 practice grenade done and added normal detail to both grenades.

c0UP.jpg
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Textured the M8 launcher:

d9dUP.jpg
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    ALright, I'm back working on this after a nice break for the new Call of Duty. However, I have a problem. I'm not sure how I should split up the full stock model. To clarify, to utilize as much texture space as possible, I'm splitting up my model into 3 assemblies:

> Full stock
    > Base mesh
    > Folding stock

The folding stock and base mesh have been baked and are ready for texturing. However, I'm not sure how I should do the full stock.

Here's an album showing the full stock mesh. I've combined the three elements (stock, butt plate, and recoil plate) into one mesh. However, when I bake the normals I'm getting a lot of aliasing. Here is my UV layout:

qoZA5iF.jpg

Also, I'm not able to utilize very much UV space for the stock mesh, which isn't very efficient. I thought of splitting the UVs into a few islands that I could scale up to get a higher texel density however, that would make texturing much more difficult. The map shown on the model is 4096x4096 which, for just the stock, is way too much. If I render at 2048, it's too low res and aliased.

So I'm wondering how I could model this so that I don't get aliasing when I render out at 2k, which is how it will be rendered in-game. I tried rotating the UV shells and scaling them up, but that adds aliasing. Not sure what to do.
  • Odeca
    Offline / Send Message
    Odeca polycounter lvl 3
    Instead of waste so much UV space, pack everything in a 4096x2048 UV sheet. You'll probably have to resize a bit the UV parts as well, but I doubt you will loose much resolution.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I think the biggest thing you could do is pack the UVs tighter, since it'll allow you to scale them up, and resolution fights aliasing.

If you make the borders of your UV chunks straight (north/south, or east-west) whenever possible, it'll help you pack more efficiently and it'll reduce aliasing along the seams. The UVs will be more distorted around where you straighten them but it's usually fine.

I'd probably split the stock UVs around the middle if the resolution isn't working with it as one huge island.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Here's the texture for the M19A1 Flare rifle grenade.

Reference: 3436003_01_m19a1_rifle_grenade_green_star_640.jpg

UP1.jpg

I'll be going back and fixing the issues with the full stock once I'm finished texturing the rest of the pieces. Let me know if there's anything I should change on my textures.

Edit: Silly me. Forgot the ref I used for the grenade. Also, if you're confused about the font choice for the markings, some of my refs had the font seen in the ref above, while others had a different font kind of similar to Times new roman, so I just chose one. Lastly, the real M23A1 smoke had four different colors to choose from: red, yellow, violet, and green. I'd like to make it so that player can choose which color they'd like to use so they can designate areas as they need (so players can differentiate between an area that needs a bombing run and one that needs an extraction. Since the models would be the same, is this something I could do in UE4? I'd rather not export 4 different textures for each color variant. I also need to change one word on the grenade for each color variant (red streamer, yellow streamer, etc). This is what stumps me. Is there any way I could achieve this in UE4 without having to export 4 totally different textures? Thanks.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Textured the M23 smoke streamer.

90eUP.jpg

Going by this reference:

M23A1.jpg

Let me know how I can make the texture better :)
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I would add a lot more sides to the dome at the top of the grenade.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Kaine. I added a couple segments to the front to fight the jagged edges, but I don't want to add any more as the front of the grenade will be facing away from the player most of the time.

b58screenshot000.png
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for tonight:

Textured the MK2 frag grenade. This'll sit in the adapter and be used as a rifle grenade. I have yet to texture the adapter, but that'll be tomorrow.

5d8UP1.jpg

Let me know if there's anything I can do to improve that texture :)
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    It might be a good idea to use ambient occlusion as a mask to add more grayness to the recessed areas between the rectangular segments.

Notice the effect in this reference image.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Kaine, thanks for the tip, though I'm not sure what you mean. I'm rendering in Marmoset, and I have AO enabled. I haven't baked AO for this model as it isn't really necessary. I painted some dirt in the grooves of the model in my albedo (so diffuse, since it's nonmetal).Anyways, I desaturated the dirt so now the dirt is greyer.

Here's how it looks now:

119UP.jpg

and the albedo:

MK2fragalbedo.jpg

Thanks for the tips and...is the guy in your profile picture eating a block of cheese?
  • Swarm22
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Whatever he's eating, every time I read what he writes I picture him taking a break from eating it and trying to talk with his mouth full.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol me too. I imagine the picture has to be from Tim and Eric or something.

Edit: Let the hunt begin

CzXpdD5.png
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever he's eating, every time I read what he writes I picture him taking a break from eating it and trying to talk with his mouth full.

Here you guys go <3

And what I meant about using ambient occlusion as a mask, is that in photoshop, you can alt+right-click to open up a mask in a layer to edit it. You can copy and paste the ao into a layer mask and it can be suuuuper useful for certain effects!
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohhh, I get what you're saying. THat's essentially what I did. I just created a mask that would desaturate and darken the grooves of the grenade.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: The M1 adapter. If anyone is confused, I'm doing the first version of the adapter. This version had four prongs and lacked a cup to better grip the grenade. The M1A1 and M1A2 both had a cup and only 3 prongs.

UPagainagain.jpg

UPagain.jpg

Let me know what you think

I'll be touching up the M8 launcher and then I'll texture the flash hider. If anyone knows of any optics I could put on this thing, I'd love some suggestions. I can't find anything about optics for the M1A1. In Cod WaW they had these sights:

20120119222220!MP40_Aperture_Sight_WaW.png

but I can't find anything from real life, so maybe they're not actually real and were just put in for added customization options.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, last update for tonight. I went back and touched up the M8 launcher. I'm still adding wear and grime to the screw and hinge, but I'll do that tomorrow. Here it is so far:

UPagainagainagain.jpg
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    I would try to add at least a little bit of dimension to the spring wrapped around it.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya I was thinking of just adding two segments to that area to add some actual height. I should be able to do that without affecting the unwrap.

Edit:

Added a couple segments to the spring. I've exaggerated the height of the spring to make it more noticeable. Otherwise I don't think people would even know what it is.

up1temp.jpg
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the flash hider and M8 launcher shown together:

6a2up.jpg
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Started to texture the base mesh and folding stock mesh. Definitely a WIP, but here's what I have so far:

uptmp.jpg
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update for today. I'll finish tweaking the folding stock tomorrow, and then I'll start the base mesh.

m1a1.jpg
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    The metal could use a fair bit more variation in my opinion. I would try to give it a more "parkerized" look. Is it just solid color as a base texture right now?
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Which metal are you talking about? The metal on the folding stock is the only metal I've textured so far. Should I add some variation to that? Thanks
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    oh ok, i didnt realize that you'd only done the folding stock. if the rest of the metal looks like the stock material it will be very nice. :p
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks :ื›
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for tonight. Definitely not done, but I'm getting there.

up1.png

up2.png

I'll be finishing the base assembly tomorrow (hopefully). I just have to add some grime to dirty this thing up, and then I'll be tweaking some values. Lastly I'm gonna go back and finish the folding stock metal and leather since those need to be tweaked.

Side note: I downloaded a small program to disable the dog awful alt function in PS, which worked last night, but now PS is listening for shortcut keys even when I'm entering a name for a layer, so when I press 'H' it hides the layer as I'm naming it....I don't even. If anyone knows how to fix this, I'll give you a cookie.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update for today:

up3.png

up4.png
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

UP1.png

Finishing the base mesh and adjustable sight. I'll start getting the full stock fixed up.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for tonight. Implemented the full stock.

5fcup1.png

a1bup2.png

Crits are appreciated!