Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly CHARACTER Challenge | October 2014 | the Soothsayer

Replies

• Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    You guys are smashing it out of the park! I haven't got started just yet as I'm working on the noob challenge for October instead. If I have time I may give it a shot :)!
  • apllana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, you guys are pretty fast! I am very glad to finally participate in this amazing challenge.

@juancaratino, amazing progress although I think his torso might be a bit too big compared to his waist.
    @apollo580, it might be a good idea to step down a few subdivision levels and get the main forms right before adding smaller details.
    @Ape_Errata, you pretty much nailed the proportions although his feet are a tad too long.

kZDykZB.png

I will be aiming for a more realistic version but for now this will do.
  • from2moons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1day.jpg

test! for my IMG
    Sorry for my post I cannot write English well

;a;

But I'ill Start this project !

cheers!
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    dont i get feedback? lol

@apllana

i like the way youre going about the hair and beard so far :)

@holly mellor

hurry up and start this one!
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    I'm late ><....and totally not used to start with the high poly, so just adjusting the form yet

1z1qtz4.jpg
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Turista
    Love the muscle definition, its completely the same as its on the concept art!
    I would maybe downscale those hand armor pieces, they seem too big and too thick.
    Maybe add few more wraps on his arms or dont add more of them rather just make ones you have wider.
    Take another look at his toes - feet on the ground, I think even if youre going for cat like feet that part of the foot thats on the ground is too long.
    (Heres a pic of what I mean - bpra1.jpg )

@from2moon
    Nice job, good start, but work on his face a bit more, I think its a bit too thin. His face expression seems like he is sucking a candy inside his mouth and he is actually angry.

Havent had much time today and yesterday, this is where im at. Im going to add wraps on his legs now and thats where I will call it a day. I need some advice for doing his skirt, I dont want to go to 3ds max and model a low poly base mesh, I want to do it in Zbrush, but how? I dont want to start with cylinder. Advice me please and critique me please! :)

fq62x.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx for the feedback and the nice comment about the muscles :"> , I think the feet look longer then they really are but i did tone it down a notch. and im actually going to add a few more "in between" wraps.

also ill be sculpting live if you guys want to join me.

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/event/c6d950dt8gtbm7cghkvo75p2h44

1.JPG
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juancaratino polycounter lvl 7
    First all if you speak spanish don't 'be afraid / shame to use that beautiful language, the third most popular in the world. I know here are much latin/spanish people
    Second? here is my update, some smooth on the muscles nothing more

Offline / Send Message
    few more updates. taking a break but will be back on in an hour or so.

Staff.jpg
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah, I didn't finish last month... :(
    Honestly I think that character was a little out of my scope, but this one looks great! I didn't want to jump in and start showing too early, but here is some work I've done this far.

epkB4o9.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update and bed time. night. =]

[vv]108030319[/vv]
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    Turista - All in all not bad. I'm liking the progress you're making on him so far. Some of your major forms are messing with me though.Your deltoid needs to really be pushed out some. The transition of bicep, deltoid, and tricep should be addressed as well. I also don't think that is supposed to be his belly button below his first abdominal set. Most of your back muscles look to be going the wrong direction. He needs a bit of thickness to his mid-section as well. The changes to the wraps are in the right direction but you need to fill in all the gaps. I like the changes to the nose, but the mouth still feels a bit flat to me. The ear shape appears way off concept. His ears are folding over themselves on the top. His jaw is basically gone as you near his sternocleidomastoid. Still, a lot of critique, but it is going in the right direction. Keep it up.

soothSayerPaintOver.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for taking the time to do this :) I will get on those changes asap. About the belly button I either have it in the right place as far as the concept goes or he doesn't have one lol. And yeah I see what you mean about the ears, no fold on mine. Anyways I'll probably start off with fixing the ears and the back and go from there. Thanx again!
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    wow the progress on this thread is amazing. Looking forward to seeing the final results
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some color blocking just for fun

2hdpqf9.jpg
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I cant give any critiques this time because im so tired...
    Day 4 done...
    8rk3e.jpg
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tigerheart polycounter lvl 9
    Day 4, low poly (4570 tri)and bake ao et normal:
    screenshot000.png
    screenshot001.png
    @juancaratino :It remind me of warhammer figurine in this render ^^
    @turista :So it was feather after all...
    It's funny to see how different they end up
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 4, low poly (4570 tri)and bake ao et normal:
    @juancaratino :It remind me of warhammer figurine in this render ^^
    @turista :So it was feather after all...
    It's funny to see how different they end up

excellente RETOPO, how dou you realize? by hand in 3dcoat, maya, topo, etc? or with help of something like zremesher , y dont think this is zremesher at all
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cape is Zremesher, Since it's not too complicated, it work pretty well. The staff is Zshphere, it could be optimised a bit, but I thought it was good enough. The body was retopo in 3D coat.
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    Hello, i see a lot of great work here and some almost finished great job and keep it up.

i'm gonna get straight to the point. I have no drawing skills nor any anatomy knowledge. I never done character before and first time i'm using a Zbrush for same.

I decided to join the polycount character challenge for practice and i spent a huge amount of hours on this (about 15h +) just to get base mesh for the character. I would really appreciate all the comments, critiques and paintovers just to make this thing better and fell free to be BRUTALLY honest.

Thanks a lot in forward.
    P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

10685523_10203872801173394_3234220380600301630_n.jpg?oh=3eb0bcf86c6b50821acc72e2242420b7&oe=54BFC424&__gda__=1421953074_138c2c498653c876481a58402690352c
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    @tigerheart it's so good O.o, I was thinking how to make my retopo work fine, so I will make you my reference for this...

@Deoce You are going well, but with some anatomy study it will refine your skills to make it faster

@juancaratino Loved it *_*, principally the gloves....only thing that I just think is a little too much that all the details are too strong, makes it feels a little like it is made in a rock for me.

@Sunn He is hump and the face is a little big too, make it look like that your model is an elder kitty...

I'm just working at night or just 2/ 3h per day in the challenge this month... but the body is good for me now (just realized that I forgot the tail X.x), what do you think?

288bb12.jpg
  • Xyniph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyniph polycounter lvl 12
    Hey everyone, hoping to jump in on this for once!

@Fefs, MrCreator, Sunn:
    Double check the head size relative to how long this guy's neck is. All three of you have the correct scale for general human proportions; one head length down = nipple-ish area, but this guy has a looong neck underneath all that muscle. One head length down is about the top to mid-way down the pectoral depending on how you read it.

@tigerheart:
    Liking how that bake turned out, he's looking good. There's some seaming going on with the hand and trapezoids, though.
    Similar to the above critique, I'd double check your head size. You've got the right length of the neck I think, but his head is a bit too large. It looks like you naturally shortened his pectorals to compensate for the long neck while still fitting the rule of thumb I mentioned above. It gives him a more toony look, which may or may not be what you wanted depending on how close you're aiming to match the concept.

Something else about the torso, just to point it out to people. I think this was mentioned already, but the concept has the belly button in between the 4 visible abdominals. It's up to each individual if they interpret that as this figure only having 4 abdominals, or if they put 6 and change where the belly button is, or decide the belt is blocking the bottom two and move the belly button, or..
    Point is; recognize the anatomy and make a conscious decision, be careful about strictly following a concept to learn anatomy.

And now after critiquing anatomy, to impress no one with my vague unfinished anatomy...
    Blocking out scale and sculpting the face to hone in on how to style this guy to suit the concept. Still need to work with the hand size and leg length I think.
    cgOuRTP.jpg
    ByM7bjE.jpg
  • from2moons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DAY3.jpg

Day 3

You guys are awesome!!

@.@ :poly136: I will do my best
  • Kamezis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamezis polycounter lvl 4
    Fefs : The forearm looks a bit long to me, and the trapezius too short.

I'm happy to join the monthly character noob challenge, i will do my best to improve myself, and contribute to this thread. I'm blocking the shapes by now.

Also, i found this tuto for the wraps/bandages, very uselfull, that i want to share here ! http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?178522-Mummy-Wraps-Bandages-Technique-with-SliceCurve-amp-Panel-Loops

BPR_Render.jpg
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 5, might need some advice on the texture:
    screenshot002.png
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 5, might need some advice on the texture:
    screenshot002.png

His staff seems really short. and youre missing some parts, like the feathers on his staff, his arm bandages and the cloth around his weist.
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimmyjaba polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys. Finally found some time to get started on this dude. Some great looking stuff already posted. I've not got much done just blocked out his body and a few of his clothing items (hair is just a placeholder for now, but I just thought I'd share todays progress. Cheers!

SoothsayerWIP_01_zpsa98ac7d9.png~original
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Glad to see good progress guys. Though an error I'm seeing a lot of you making is the placement of the belly button. In the concept its hard to tell if that dark spot is just shadow or the belly button. Anyway, its in the wrong place. It should lie above the last abdominal muscle ab-workout.jpg?itok=OxEb94Ol

Just remember, you can't rely on the concept 100% because there's always going to be a few issues with it. Real life reference is your friend
  • Topperr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Topperr polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys,

Here's my contribution, unfortunately its just a sculpt haven't got the time at the moment for the whole shibang with work. Good Luck everyone else though.

ujYKrbP.jpg
  • Xyniph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyniph polycounter lvl 12
    A progress update; still need to spend a few more hours on the torso/arms, but I think I almost have the proportions I want.
    LX56DVG.jpg

Legs, hands, and back are still rough and blobby, but here he is if anyone wants to critique anatomy :D
    wFccYN4.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update: Worked on the anatomy some more plus some shapes, started adding some small details and touching up others. Starting to look a little better. :)

Day5.jpg

Did some more on the staff and the skull things.

Day5Weapon.jpg
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    Got some comments, critiques and even paintovers for the body so here's a little update for now.

10644628_10203884187418043_3280090200144304148_n.jpg?oh=9db2e2714f7933e401e02e2a671f2ca8&oe=54B7F6AE&__gda__=1422439352_7367d254586c557dd316c7844256eb8d
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimmyjaba polycounter lvl 5
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 2.

SoothsayerWIP_02_zps03ce0a5a.png~original

Nice touch on the second rope of the belt
  • Kamezis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamezis polycounter lvl 4
    jimmyjaba : I like the realistic style of your model.

Deoce : It's better ! I like the change in the arm/shoulder, keep it up !

Sukotto : Thanks for the tip !

I manage to take some time working on mine, all proportions are blocked, now i will do the retopo before making the detail.

lo.png
  • Pearse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i saw this a bit late, some really great stuff already looking forward to see how these turn out. iv been working on this for 2 day really struggling with the arms and hands.. but im sure with a bit of reference and time i will sort something out..

any crit greatly appreciated.. and please keep the updates up its great to see everyones work!

Pearse.jpg
  • taglol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    taglol polycounter lvl 6
    0Y7NJzm.png?1

Quick update before bed, leaving crits laters. :)

edit: bad material
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started some details for the model. and was playing around with a base for him.

Base1.jpg
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    Perhaps it looks like I went backwards, but... I fixed some proportion issues, and did some fine tuning the base and I plan on re-doing the garments and details, they weren't done well.

lEzd1gb.jpg
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    independ-hans polycounter lvl 13
    @Sunn I like it overall, Your Character leaning forwards, he looks like a Thinker.

I can't tell really why but I think the stomach-area belly just on the side looks a little off, I don't like the crunch in.

On the lower arm I think the Flexor Carpi Radialis and Brachioradialis look reasonable good but the Palmaris Longus and Flexor Carpi Ulnaris are too weak pronounced on the area just on arm before the Flexor Retinaculum starts.
  • Pearse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sunn just to add to what hans said.. i think you have an extra ankle in there :P

you can either sculpt it like a human foot or a cats foot but it looks like you might have tried both? it just looks a bit funny to me.. maybe thats what you meant to do if so sorry to nit pick. if you have a look at this guy it might give you an idea of what would look more natural

tiger1.jpg

so something like that but with longer toes?

personally i would get rid of that bulge at the base of the foot and move the bony protrusion up.

looking good over all though keep it up m8!
  • Pearse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys a bit late to the game but im going to give it a shot. been blocking this guy out for the last 3 days.. strugaling with the arms and hands.. would appreciate any crit or suggestions

Pearse1.jpg

@Turista have another look at those pectorals, they should blend into the deltoids with your biceps kind of tucked in underneath. have a look at this guy

http://www.true-natural-bodybuilding.com/graf/true-natural-bodybuilder-front-big.jpeg

@Sunn it looks like you might have added an extra joint in your foot. maybe bring that little bony protrusion up a little and take out the second bulge.

you would be aming for something like this
    http://coloursofsunset.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/tiger1.jpg

if thats what you were going for..
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    blockout stage
    2cfuwpw.jpg
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 8, Rig is complete, need to polish the skin and texture a bit, then onto the ground and the spell...
    (this is a quick render in max just to see if the pose work, don't mind the camera angle and the culling problem)
    day8.jpg
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    Holy crap! Thanks for that guys. Ill be hoing over this afyer work tonight.
  • from2moons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pearse wrote: ยป
    @Sunn just to add to what hans said.. i think you have an extra ankle in there :P

you can either sculpt it like a human foot or a cats foot but it looks like you might have tried both? it just looks a bit funny to me.. maybe thats what you meant to do if so sorry to nit pick. if you have a look at this guy it might give you an idea of what would look more natural

tiger1.jpg

so something like that but with longer toes?

personally i would get rid of that bulge at the base of the foot and move the bony protrusion up.

looking good over all though keep it up m8!

great reference

thank you
  • derf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, first time joining the challenge.

Here goes my wip.

6XFzLWJ.png

@tigerheart: Maybe try to add some irregularities to the skin (for example speckles)
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    Finally found time to continue, I tried to fix the proportions on the body and I made some details...I'm going to do hair next!

2nsp0ra.jpg

I will comment about the models tomorrow, because now I really need to sleep X.x"

Good work for you all! ^^
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 9, i wonder if i am gonna try a run cycles...
    and i misread the polycount last time. Character and staff make 9052 tri, the total is 15860 with the skull and the ground.
    screenshot005.png
    screenshot009.png
    screenshot008.png
    @sunn, I'd straighten him up a bit.
    @derf, good luck, I like your anatomy so far.
    @fefs your model is pretty good.
  • taglol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    taglol polycounter lvl 6
    Alright semi-big update this time;

YIkQFIn.png?1

To do: Stuff I missed as straps around his knucklebusterthingie, feathers, some geometry. Gonna get on the hair cards next too.
    Landed on 4670 tris with his staff, was aiming lower but meuh :poly136:

@Fefs
    His head is looking a bit "squashed" atm imo! I would beef up the hanging waist cloth-thingie too, it's a bit slim.

@Derf
    Looking good, keep going!

@Tigerheart
    Nice work, you're getting there. I'd consider reducing the amount of AO a bit, it's looking a bit dirty in some of the creases.