Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] – Mason Vanguard – Blade of Generations

uk_resistant
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
Hi folks,

Just a quick post to get my place/thread started.
This is my concept so far - a hand-me-down weapon passed from generation to generation which is why it is so battered and old. I liked the idea that the blade was a point of family pride and so would be repaired on the battle field impromptu.

HNrwHR8.png

I havent actually finished the concept yet but will be in the next day or so, so any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Replies

• Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Interesting idea. I think maybe instead of all the leather wraps, have some weld seams, rehammered areas, and maybe some metal parts bolted on rather than tied. Just would feel more structurally sound.
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Initially i did think of weld seams but does that technology exist in that time? Def would like to get some rehammered parts and bolted stuff though.

That way i can keep the leather to the handles where i want the hit of colour :)
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    I am not entirely sure if they could have welded at the time. But again some rehammering and riveted metal parts might be a good route :)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Not to sound overly critical, but I feel the idea could work in another setting,it does not fit into Medieval setting. Knights were the aristocratic elite of their time and there is no way they would want to set foot on a battle field with a sword that would look shabby in appearance or even fail them in battle. I see what you are getting at but no way I see a knight go fight with a sword that isn't up to snuff.

I would say make a sword that looks sturdy but clearly has elements from different eras.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Forge welding is a type of welding that has been practiced as long as blacksmithing itself so it's totally fair game. Weld SEAMS however are very modern and are created through modern weld technique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forge_welding

022.jpg
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent about 20 mins at lunch furthering the concept.

@9thknight - You was totally right about the leather straps thing. I reduced them and it feels a lot more sturdy. I still have one in there because I want the material change but it feels nicer.
    Going to look into bolts and stuff tonight.

@JO420 - It is a risk that it might not fit in but i think now i have toned it down it might be ok. As to the point of the sword not being noble enough for a knight, after looking at the Mason faction background i dont think its too far fetched (the background says about the masons being for the little guy).

@Dim - thanks for that reference. Made it super easier now that i know what I am looking for. Want to incorporate that more into my design, especially those fatter weld seams.

bZWS8dK.png

So i have removed some straps and blended the metal add-ons more. I think it feels more solid now which is nice.
    I also worked a little into the handle guard but this still needs work.
    The colour balancing and bits and bobs later!

Thanks for the all the feedback!
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    That definitely looks better. If you want to add a bit more character, maybe some chipping in the handle and that's where you could have some more leather or something over those chipped out areas.
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update!

HTDXBy5.png

-I made the hilt bigger after some feedback froma friend
    -tarted up the hilt too
    -added chipped wood areas/straps (thanks 9thknight!

as always,any feed back welcome!