Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unreal 4 graveyard environment

Phaeton1911
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Phaeton1911 polycounter lvl 4
hey all,
This is my first attempt at an environment for a long time, and my first with unreal 4.
im picking it up pretty easy, using this project as a playground for what unreal has to offer.

im pretty happy with it so far and id like it to be super gothic and halloweeny but it lacks style and i think my lighting is probably what lets it down most.
quite a few of my props are still placeholder but really im more bothered about its over all appearance.

Highres_Screenshot00004.jpg

Highres_Screenshot00005.jpg

Highres_Screenshot00006.jpg

Replies

• Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    This cool but it looks very washed out. I might've went a bit dark with this however. You could do all this with a post-process, but I think you should look at the lighting solution in-editor.

BWyzPIs.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Sites.google.com

Seriously. Google offers ad-free image uploading. Link able and everything. The dodgy image upload websites need to stop..
  • DWalker
    The lighting & fog are both too bright. If you're going for a night-time scene, change the main light to a cool, blue shade. Give the fog a light gray rather than a pure white color.

The cemetery seems very small, unless it's a small family plot.

The trees seem more appropriate for a park than a graveyard. If you're going for a traditional/autumn look, then twisted oaks with fall leaves would work, or weeping willows with Spanish moss for a more southern feel.

Everything feels too straight & pristine. The headstones shouldn't be in a perfect line; offset them slightly, with angles that aren't quite true. Make the individual blocks of the sidewalk twist a bit. Add some damage to the outer fence. You don't need to go overboard, however - a few subtle changes should be enough.
  • Rob Macko
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko polycounter lvl 6
    One thing that stuck out to me is your lights for the street lamps. It looks as though you're using maybe 4 spot lights in different directions with a narrow cone. If so you should switch them for a single point light to get a better more natural effect and play with the attenuation. It's a good time to make a graveyard scene :)

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/LightTypes/Point/index.html
  • Phaeton1911
    Offline / Send Message
    Phaeton1911 polycounter lvl 4
    thanks people, you had pretty much the same assessment as me.

the trees i got from an unreal demo, i want thicker older dead trees,
    and i willbreak up the walls and fences here and there, its all planned for.

for the lights i used a single point light and 4 god rays, though the fade distance and cone on the rays isnt set right yet, i should use volumes instead i think.

i kept the scene small just so i didnt get distracted filling too much space.