Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP][HCE] Halo: Composition

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Ki11a_FTW polycounter lvl 3
I should have posted this here earlier, I haven't been around these forums much lately, but I figured some people here might take interest.

4G36RMI.png

Ki11a_FTW here,

Today I would like to officially announce Halo: Composition as a mod being developed for Halo Custom Edition.

Halo: Composition is a multi-level campaign that takes place in the year 2555, between the events of Halo 3 and Halo 4. You will travel on a new adventure with a set of all new characters, uncovering unknown events that lead you to discover ambitions of the remains of the covenant after Halo 3. This will tie up with events that occur in Halo 4.

The mod uses the Halo Combat Evolved engine combined with Open Sauce.

So lets talk about what to expect from the mod.

The mod will indeed push the Halo engine to its full potential, maybe even beyond it. People who have been following my small amount of updates since 2012 know that I have been working with many ideas and experimenting with them in the engine.

The mod features brand new custom music. Thats right. I am working with a composer who I know personally who is also a die hard Halo fan.

(The team right now is very small, and we don't have the resources to focus on creating an entire brand new custom tagset for the mod, as much as we would love too. There will be content for both porters and people who like something new to enjoy.)

Weapons/Vehicles

You will see some new prototype weapons and vehicles that were being developed between Halo 3 and 4, some that may have not of been seen in either of the games. This goes for both the UNSC and Covenant.

Characters

Like I said, the mod will feature brand new main characters. All I'm going to say right now is that you play as one of the first Spartan 4's. As for covenant, I'll go as far as saying that you may even encounter some different species of covenant than expected. Be sure to read the CE3 section.

Levels
This has been the best part on working with the mod, as the lead environment artist, I have been experimenting with new environments in the Halo engine that push the game to it's max. I have previous skill in current-gen engines, (Source, CryEngine, Unreal) and I have learned many things about making a level fun and look beautiful throughout the years.

The mod will feature many different environments, with brand new weather effects\particles to go along with them.

Each level is designed with deep thought and layout, and of course with a set of missions. These missions are what you would expect from any Halo mission. You can follow a mission easily, however there are many ways to do each mission (without getting lost), as well as plenty of non-linear space for the player to explore. Different play throughs may lead you to discover entire encounters you have missed, weapons, stranded allys and more. It's still the classic Halo experience, but not at the same time.
Q8g4AOB.jpg
1XpHFwZ.jpg
ZMR79n1.jpg
GN5URpd.jpg
The CE3 Reveal
I have been rather quiet up until now, we have been hard at work trying to give something to show at CE3. This is not an AAA game, so progress varies as this is not an actual studio, and with the past history of great mods, well you know. I'd like to get you all involved as much as I can as progress is made, I think a 7 and a half minute gameplay demo is a treat.

DEMO VIDEO HERE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z4cDIbKAoM&list=UUqyFTJ-DEPim9vwGOlPx6Lw

The demo is from a level called "Rebirth", one of the first missions in the mod. It features the music from our amazing composer. There is a lot of stuff that I was happy to get done for this, and a lot of stuff that didn't get done. All in all, by all means do not expect a final product from what you see. There is a lot of work to be done, any questions or concerns I will be glad to address.

Hopefully we will be able to get the ripped assets replaced with more original custom art.

Releases
Releases will come episodically. This may feature 1-2 maps per release.

Involved Personnel
CMT- various effect\particle tags

Open Sauce Team - Lets just say this project would not exist if it weren't for them.

Kozakuu: Promotion and Graphic Designer

Matt Jordan - Musical Composer\Voice actor\Tester

Joseph Simon\Patrick Jamison - Voice actors\Testers

Dante: Environment Artist

Rich Lawrence(Ki11a_FTW): Lead Designer\Cinematic Director\Writer and Lead Environment artist.

Special thanks to 343 Industries and Microsoft Game Studios, for assets seen from other Halo games, (Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4). I am not claiming their content as my own in any way.

For those who are unfamiliar with Halo Custom Edition, I will say that every level and their environments are designed from scratch and is completely original.

Here is a piece of level geometry featured in the demo as an example.
rebirthbeta.jpg
For those questioning about the content found in later Halo games, like I said, I would like to eventually get them replaced with new assets. (as that is what polycount is all about).

Thanks for reading!