Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] - Mason Man-at-Arms - Peasant Rebellion

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
Fucking Agathian aristocracy...let them eat DEATH.

rAeqUch.png

Replies

• Magicspook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, I knew that at some point, someone would try and make a scythe ;P good luck

Consider thought, that a scythe is only sharp on the inside. How are you going to hurt anybody with that? you can't expect to just shear through some1 and be able to retract your weapon (though that is exactly what does happen in Chivalry).

Oh, and what weapon will it be a reskin of? the quarterstaff?
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's based off the quarterstaff.

dwyVEH7.png
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CLAGAHl.png

Still working on this when I'm not busy being sick for an entire week.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    sick? damn, I got sick too x_x

I think I OD'd on caffeine, have a fever now. Get well soon!
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ylRTAYg.png

I can't decide which style of blade I like better.
  • Imperium101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A is better I think. Looks more realistic and historically accurate to me.
  • Magicspook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still wondering how you are going to get a scythe into the game without clipping or weaving it right through people without hitting it with the (still quarterstaff-made) hitbox, how it will fit with the damage types of the quarterstaff, how it could ever be used IRL as only the inside is sharp, etc... good luck though...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Pardon the harshness but this isn't close to Medieval and bordering on ridiculous. I can't see what weapon reskin this will work for.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 wrote: »
    Pardon the harshness but this isn't close to Medieval and bordering on ridiculous. I can't see what weapon reskin this will work for.

Pardon the dickish retort buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...
    Anything that could plausibly be found in Europe/middle east up until the 1500's is fair game. These don't necessarily need to be replicas or period accurate items, as long as the design looks believable enough to fit into the style of the game.
    After the German Peasants' War during 1524–1525, a fencing book edited by Paulus Hector Mair described in 1542 techniques how to fence using a scythe.
  • Imperium101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You make a point Matt,

but I am also wondering how this will function with the hitbox...
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, I can make a collision model and hitbox and import it. It can't possibly be more arcane than working with .QC files for Source. I've got to imagine Torn Banner plans to do at least some work anyway with speeding up or slowing down animations but even if not, again, it can't be a harder process than creating custom animations for TF2. From what I've seen the whole process is a lot closer to Unity's "import an FBX and you're pretty much done" standard.

Thanks to everybody for the feedback, so far between here and Facebook it seems like the vote is split on which blade is better. Some people like A for the realism, some people think B reads better.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think there is a problem with the way it looks. But because these are essentially reskins there might be a problem if it is supposed to replace the quarterstaff. Here is a quote from the Q&A
    Tez wrote: »
    How much can the shape of the weapons differ from the shape of the original in game meshes?

For example, If the head of a warhammer is larger, and the handle is shorter than the in game mesh will this cause compatibility issues, or are the chosen weapons going to have animations and collision fixed by the Torn Banner team?

A: the bounds of a weapon should not differ significantly from the base weapon. things to consider: the "damaging" area of the weapon should not be mismatched in any way (length of a blade, placement of an axehead, etc) and the handle should match exactly wherever the hands of the character are to grip it, so to avoid clipping through the fingers.

I hope you can figure out a way to get it to work, I like the direction you are going.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    Pardon the dickish retort buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Fine if you want to dismiss honest critique that's your problem.

But even If you disregard the Historical issues, it still doesn't get around the fact that a scythe and the shape it has doesn't not coincide with the shape and even damage type of a Quarterstaff.Turning it from blunt to slash.

But seeing that you can't take negative feedback without a dickish retort,have at it and proceed with your scythe.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    JO420, why are you so butthurt that someone is trying to do something unique?

Yes, I understand the logic, but what's the worst that can happen? He gets practice in using the engine and modeling and texturing.

Quit being such a poor sport.

Also I will let you know that this is the same guy who made the first dual pistols in TF2, and people just like you gave him shit for it all the same. It turned out great and was voted as a great addition to the workshop.

TL;DR - stop being butthurt for no reason.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    tristamus wrote: »

Yes, I understand the logic, but what's the worst that can happen? He gets practice in using the engine and modeling and texturing.

Also I will let you know that this is the same guy who made the first dual pistols in TF2, and people just like you gave him shit for it all the same. It turned out great and was voted as a great addition to the workshop.

So offering critique is what qualifies as butthurt these days on PC? I wasn't "giving him shit" I was offering my opinion that his concept did not really fit into a Medieval theme and that the weapon doesn't abide by the guidelines.

Perhaps a little more background info in the OP and it wouldn't have opened the idea to critique,when its called "Peasants Rebellion" and what is shown is a man at arms dressed like the Grim Reaper,then yes it seems ridiculous. A guy running around dressed like that in a Medieval battlefield does seem off. But if the idea was of a Peasant armed for battle then that is actually a concept and it provides some background information to the idea behind concept. But as It was,it just looked like some bloke dressed up as a Grim Reaper as opposed to a Peasant farmer armed for battle.

But yeah if offering honest critique amounts to butthurt,then why not make this website a pat on the back forum as opposed to one where you can submit your work to your peers for honest C&C.
  • Magicspook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus wrote: »

you mistake my (our) purpose.

We (I) are not whinig for no reason. I can say at least about myself that I wanted to warn the maker that even if he created the most fantastic piece of scythe you could imagine he wasn't going to win. That he was better off making a pitchfork or walking stick with metal bindings for a weapon, for then at least he would have a chance to win and earn a lot of money.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Magicspook wrote: »
    you mistake my (our) purpose.

We (I) are not whinig for no reason. I can say at least about myself that I wanted to warn the maker that even if he created the most fantastic piece of scythe you could imagine he wasn't going to win. That he was better off making a pitchfork or walking stick with metal bindings for a weapon, for then at least he would have a chance to win and earn a lot of money.

+1