Home Technical Talk

Questions about normal baking via explosion

ScottHoneycutt
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
(I use mostly 3ds Max)

I'm not sure how to word this but I have several struggles remaining about baking complex objects. I've learned many things this year about baking normals. Check your smoothing groups and uvs, make sure normals aren't reversed, take out the high-poly render setup (shellac material and colored background), have the two meshed lined up close, have the high poly well beveled, and definitely don't bake the whole thing in one piece unless it's simple enough to do so. What I still struggle with is how to handle the explosion when it isn't a perfect example of ease (in other words the whole thing is made up of floaters and separate pieces). At some point there will be polys up against each other that need special attention.

1) How do you handle separating pieces of the mesh that are connected? I've asked over time about whether to model the low poly in one piece or in separate pieces. While I've never received this answer, in my experience it seems pointless to model it together because of this issue.

2) how do you go about returning after you have blown it up? You might be lucky and bake it easy in one shot but I've never done so. There is always something that need fixed, something that needs remodeled, retopoed, reUVed, etc. Then you have a destroyed mesh, with a different vert count, different UV layout, as per question #1 above, may even be shattered within each piece. You can't just throw it on the original pre-explosion mesh.

3) I still deal with symmetry seams. It seems strange to me that I can't search the forums and find a consistent answer to the problem. Is there a way in 3ds Max to do the smoothing groups by edges like in Maya? I read rumors of hard edges on the seam helping.

Any input from Polycount is appreciated as always. :poly105:

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    1. If you really need to separate parts of the whole mesh, just detach polygons from it as a new object and then when you're done you can attach it and weld again. But I can see just a few specific situations where you would need to do that... Most of the time you should create the low poly as one piece when your high poly pieces do not cross each other and won't be animated. Example of what should be exploded: magazine of a gun. It goes inside another mesh and is animated. It's two separate objects with two unique cages. If you don't explode them the cages will intersect and you'll get nasty things in your normal map. If you don't need that, make it as one piece.

this is a good thread about this http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117017

2. Very easy. You can set up a very simple key animation of all your meshes going into exploded state so you can then just use the animation slider to get it all back in the original state if you need so. I think you just need to press Auto Key and move parts (3ds max)

3. If you get symmetry seams it means you don't have your low poly symmetrical when you bake. You should: take your low poly you want symmetrical, delete half, unwrap, apply symmetry, move overlapped islands, bake that. Also, if you want to use Hard Edges you have to have uv splits where you have a hard edge, otherwise you'll get nasty black seams. You can plan your uvs accordingly to where you need your hard edges and then just apply Smoothing Groups by UV in TexTools plugin.

read more about hard edges here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196

Anyway, if you can, check this out http://3dmotive.com/series/normal-maps-tips-amp-tricks.html
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all, thanks for responding.
    1. If you really need to separate parts of the whole mesh, just detach polygons from it as a new object and then when you're done you can attach it and weld again. But I can see just a few specific situations where you would need to do that... Most of the time you should create the low poly as one piece when your high poly pieces do not cross each other and won't be animated. Example of what should be exploded: magazine of a gun. It goes inside another mesh and is animated. It's two separate objects with two unique cages. If you don't explode them the cages will intersect and you'll get nasty things in your normal map. If you don't need that, make it as one piece.

this is a good thread about this http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117017

There are so many questions I could ask here. Here's what I am dealing with:

lJAQZqv.jpg
    JdWTzUC.jpg

I have pieces right up against pieces and its modeled as one mesh. I'm astounded by that EQ post you linked (Impressed that he can bake that in one piece without tons of errors due to the cage). I'll chew on this for a while and post again later.
    2. Very easy. You can set up a very simple key animation of all your meshes going into exploded state so you can then just use the animation slider to get it all back in the original state if you need so. I think you just need to press Auto Key and move parts (3ds max)

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.
    3. If you get symmetry seams it means you don't have your low poly symmetrical when you bake. You should: take your low poly you want symmetrical, delete half, unwrap, apply symmetry, move overlapped islands, bake that.

That's what I thought I was doing.
    Also, if you want to use Hard Edges you have to have uv splits where you have a hard edge, otherwise you'll get nasty black seams. You can plan your uvs accordingly to where you need your hard edges and then just apply Smoothing Groups by UV in TexTools plugin.

read more about hard edges here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196

Anyway, if you can, check this out http://3dmotive.com/series/normal-maps-tips-amp-tricks.html

I'm with you on the smoothing, UVs issues. Actually another issue I have is too many islands because of smoothing. I don't understand how to have fewer islands and still have hard edges. So much of the advice you read is context sensitive.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with you on the smoothing, UVs issues. Actually another issue I have is too many islands because of smoothing. I don't understand how to have fewer islands and still have hard edges. So much of the advice you read is context sensitive.
    Well, if you really want to avoid having too mady UV islands because of hard edges you can bevel your edges, thus add to the poly count and it does a similar job, but then you can unwrap it as one piece instead of splitting uv island because of a hard edge.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Here's my next explosion, A spot that I'm flabbergasted as to how to fix (the extra loop was an attempt), and the normal. There several small errors but it looks good on the model overall (not shown).

Edit: also the seams are gone ... for some reason. The animation thing only worked so much though. I'm guessing you need to have it as one object first then move elements? I realized the hard way that you need the objects attached to bake, attached them, then realized I couldn't go back to the unexploded state so I have to use to separate files again. It did help me a lot with fixing the mesh and uvs together, then exporting the new mesh intact.

tvp4Exk.jpg
    OAP4yFQ.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Any reason for it to be so many different pieces?
    Having it as few lowpoly pieces makes it a lot easier to deal with.

As for what you posted above, what exactly is the problem?
    We need to see it with the normal map applied.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried this so many times in so many ways. At first it was one piece. This many pieces is me being scared of the cage running into itself and causing errors.

It's a standard error, its just that I feel I can fix the others with time, but this one puzzles me as to what to do with the mesh to fix it. I have geo parts of the same mesh very close up against each other so the cage will push into itself as the model is now.

On another note, is there a way in 3ds max to keep my cage but add/remove geo? I'm guessing that wouldn't make sense since I would be changing the cage as I added/removed verts. I've worked this cage quite a bit and feel I need to change geo to move forward on a few areas. Should i at that point collapse, fix geo, the start saving another map and simply Photoshop them together? One of my goals here is to avoid painting any errors out like I did A LOT of last time I made this gun a few months ago. Layering two bakes just so I don't have to redo cage work should be OK right? Thanks! This is my second time with this gun and its been quite the struggle to bake it both times but I'm learning :poly142:

o9lYBFh.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should look trough this thread, covers most of your questions.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

When it comes to the cage, you should not have to tweak it manually just push it out.
    Layering bakes is not necessary either.

For that problem area, unless that part of the gun will be seen up close, simplify the lowpoly don't need that lip there.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should look trough this thread, covers most of your questions.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

When it comes to the cage, you should not have to tweak it manually just push it out.
    Layering bakes is not necessary either.

For that problem area, unless that part of the gun will be seen up close, simplify the lowpoly don't need that lip there.

Not sure what to say about the links to the stickies. Naturally they may be screaming the solution at me without me seeing it, but I don't think so. I can assure you that I've looked over them and the Wiki page to exhaustion. It's so much easier to evaluate simple cylinders and such. I tried getting rid of the "lip" but then whats left? Does it make sense to have a low poly over an empty space in the high? AS for the cage, yes I've given that comment myself to others on Polycount that it's not necessary to use the cage, but it is there and I've used it quite a bit today for hours. If you will allow me a moment, I can't fathom the hours lost to these bake attempts at this point. I guess the next step is to collapse and keep at it.

Edit: I think another issue I'm having is I'm scared to change the mesh geo because I know then that the original gun mesh sitting in Marmoset is then outdated. I was hoping the animation method would fix this, but it looks like I botched that up by not having it all attached at first before moving it.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for the stickies it's more about what people say and the discussions than the images, the text has the real gold.
    Baking is a difficult thing to grasp, takes a lot of trying and failing.

You can modify the highpoly to make life easier, like that lip bring the highpoly closer so there is no lip there.

You could take a part of the gun trying to perfect that first.

Also I am by far a expert as this, which is partly why I linked the sticky.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's not gonna be seen in the silhouette, don't waste geometry on it. Merge this problem spot together to cover a whole area and forget about it...
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remade the low poly on the problem area after completely re-exploding everything (one mesh, elements animated). Then I scrolled back and realized that, just like every other time I've done any significant change, the animation is broken and the model is stuck in explosion. Does anyone esle have these issues with this method? I don't know if it was the remodeling, the new unwrap modifier, the collapsing of the unwrap modifier, or what. At this point, I'm convinced that either I'm missing something (which is clearly the case with at LEAST my marbles), or I just need to calm down and worry about returning the explosion late after making a good full bake. It seems like every time I make the slightest tweak, something goes wrong and I need to remake several things several times.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remade the low poly on the problem area after completely re-exploding everything (one mesh, elements animated). Then I scrolled back and realized that, just like every other time I've done any significant change, the animation is broken and the model is stuck in explosion. Does anyone esle have these issues with this method? I don't know if it was the remodeling, the new unwrap modifier, the collapsing of the unwrap modifier, or what. At this point, I'm convinced that either I'm missing something (which is clearly the case with at LEAST my marbles), or I just need to calm down and worry about returning the explosion late after making a good full bake. It seems like every time I make the slightest tweak, something goes wrong and I need to remake several things several times.
    You should only explode your parts for baking, nothing else...
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should only explode your parts for baking, nothing else...

Correct ... not sure why this comment. Either way, I'm giving up on explosion as this struggle is getting ridiculous. Tomorrow I'm going to try via layer sets similar to Xioliul's method in his Eat3d bulldozer video. This way I can have the elements separated without worrying about returning an explosion. This is how I used to do it anyway.

Thanks
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Correct ... not sure why this comment. Either way, I'm giving up on explosion as this struggle is getting ridiculous. Tomorrow I'm going to try via layer sets similar to Xioliul's method in his Eat3d bulldozer video. This way I can have the elements separated without worrying about returning an explosion. This is how I used to do it anyway.

Thanks
    I mean you only return exploded meshes in their original places after baking. You shouldn't have any troubles with that if you don't modify them. Explode, bake, un-explode - that's how it works. Every other work with meshes you do in their original positions.

Or you can save yourself trouble and just use bake by material IDs, then you won't need to explode anything. Look it up.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Here's my next explosion, A spot that I'm flabbergasted as to how to fix (the extra loop was an attempt), and the normal. There several small errors but it looks good on the model overall (not shown).

Edit: also the seams are gone ... for some reason. The animation thing only worked so much though. I'm guessing you need to have it as one object first then move elements? I realized the hard way that you need the objects attached to bake, attached them, then realized I couldn't go back to the unexploded state so I have to use to separate files again. It did help me a lot with fixing the mesh and uvs together, then exporting the new mesh intact.

tvp4Exk.jpg

This sort of shape will always be a pain in the ass when baking. You should simplify this and merge the grip area into the rear area without that indent in the lowpoly, which will likely not be visible in game anyway.

Try to think of the lowpoly as a shell for the highpoly, you don't have to re-create every shape of the high exactly.

Setting up an exploded bake is really easy, just set keyframes for both the high and low poly chunks so you can easily split them apart and bring them back. Baking multiple objects and combining has basically the same drawbacks as explode baking (you have to split the meshes) but the added negative in that you have to do a bunch of different bakes and then comp them together instead of doing it all in one go.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SuperFranky: Short version is I'm not doing it on purpose LOL! I keep losing the animation frames somehow. I keep scrubbing the playhead to check that the original state on the first frame is still there and then at some point it isn't! :poly115:

@EQ: Thanks for commenting. I'll take that as "don't give up, figure it out". Am I right that you explode on sub-object levels because you need the LP as one object to bake? I'm eye-balling the two pieces together in the explosion. The 3d motive gun video on Youtube has him easily grabbing the LP and HP pieces together but then has to attach the LP before baking.

I did fix the issue by simplifying. I knew I would have to remodel, was simply drawing a blank so thanks for the input:

t0rVoVU.jpg

I'm sure I'll be post back later...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@EQ: Thanks for commenting. I'll take that as "don't give up, figure it out". Am I right that you explode on sub-object levels because you need the LP as one object to bake? I'm eye-balling the two pieces together in the explosion. The 3d motive gun video on Youtube has him easily grabbing the LP and HP pieces together but then has to attach the LP before baking.

Yes, because max doesn't allow you to use multiple lowpoly meshes, you'll have to set up the keyframes in sub-object mode. It helps to move the objects numerically with easy to remember units like 1, 2 or 5 so you can come back with the highpoly and make the same adjustments.

I did fix the issue by simplifying. I knew I would have to remodel, was simply drawing a blank so thanks for the input:

Yep, looks much better, you can probably get rid of that redundant loop in the corner too now.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aYz3ojd.jpg

Here's one of the issues I've run into again. After setting everything up (the numerical movement idea worked well) I began tweaking the mesh on the explosion frame, scrubbed back to the beginning to see this? How do you work the mesh without this happening?? It happens whether I add the cuts in or out of autokey.

Thanks

Edit: I'm thinking that any edits to existing geo is fine, but if I create geo, it has no keyframe because I just made it. Having said that, I don't know what to do to fix the issue. Should I manually place the new geo back in place after I'm done baking or is there a better way around this? Or are artist simply not adding geo when they bake. I want to be as best as I can be. However, unless I can figure this out soon, I simply don't have a choice but to use a method I know. I'm all open for ideas as always.
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    Does Max bake animation down to the component level? The separate pieces you are exploding should be under their own transforms instead of the same one, so you can modify each piece individually and still use the same animation. You can export it as one object anyway so it's better to leave it separate in the scene.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does Max bake animation down to the component level? The separate pieces you are exploding should be under their own transforms instead of the same one, so you can modify each piece individually and still use the same animation. You can export it as one object anyway so it's better to leave it separate in the scene.

I don't know what "baking animation" means. The reason the pieces are together in the LP is because you need that to bake the normal map in 3ds Max like EQ mentioned above. As soon as you attach them, you lose the animation. I'm not sure what you are suggesting I do...*shrug*
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah its probably doing heavy editing that screws it up. I do all my modeling in modo so if I do an explode bake in max all the geometry is set.

What I would suggest doing is test bakes without exploding to sort out everything else, like uvs, smoothing groups, projection errors, etc, and then when you're getting a clean bake, set up an exploded bake to get around overlapping issues.
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not the most familiar with Max, but does each sub-object not get treated as a new "parent"? If so I would think leaving everything separate and only combining on export or right before baking seems better, leaving everything "live" until finalized.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again. Fortunately the work from the last two days hasn't gone to waste as they worked as tests to figure out where I needed geo editing the most so thats where I am right now ... with the gun intact. One final question before I am ready to explode again ... these errors below: how do I deal with them (on the left one I tried adding loops horizontally and vertically with no change)?

xhrbgc4.jpg
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Without seeing the high poly, the one on the left looks like an overlapping error; the one on the right looks like it's a hard edge.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you should upload your project file so we could take a look at it.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you should upload your project file so we could take a look at it.

How?
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    How?

Dropbox, Google Drive, Speedy Share, FileSmelt etc. The list goes on.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See if this works:
    http://speedy.sh/sFhKR/PBRBAKE-numerical.max

Note: it was, at least in part, a proximity issue with that last pic.
    Edit: if you do get the file, see if the back section's UV shatter for you when you move it x=+25 ... they do for me. I've had that has happened to me a lot. When I move pieces around the UV brakes. That combined with the inability to add edges make me question this method. These things make the animation idea seem unnecessary, for me at least. What I tried to change will only brake things up if I try to go back to the first frame. Maybe I just don't get it enough, but if I use layers instead of explosion, then I can continue to add geo, change UVs, not have my uvs randomly break., etc. Perhaps others are just so much more experienced at modeling for bakes that they don't need the flexibility that I do? I don't know, I just know I want to get this done like nobody's business. :poly122:

Thanks.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xhrbgc4.jpg

You have all these indents in your low poly geometry, but do you think that maybe it's unnecessary? However you look at it, they are very small and don't affect the silhouette at all. I suggest you to try and just bake them down, it will be less troublesome for you that way.

Take it with a grain of salt, I'm no baking expert, see for yourself...

OSeyy6i.png
    Bh9mKEz.png
    o56ERok.png

Also, It seems to me that your bakes lack Antialiasing. Try to crank it up next time, it helps with problematic spots.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mlq8oTW.jpg

After a grueling entire week of slaving on this ... the normal was baked clean in one fell swoop. I had done a clean bake on other projects before OK, but this gun was a nightmare ... definitely a study case in normal baking. In the end I did use 5 layers to bake and I needed them. Even after I had tested a lot with the gun in one piece and thought I had altered the geo enough that the only remaining issues were spacing ... I was quite wrong. My conclusion is that explosion only works for those who are either painting out the errors (which was my goal here to not do) or if you are already good enough at this that you are sure you are done altering the mesh/UVs (of course this opinion excludes any software I haven't used). I ahd to experiment every time it looked bad.

I accomplished the goals of the bake and learning about explosion and other baking techniques. I have been learning normal maps for over 6.5 years now, with the majority of the success being through this year. It's been the thorn in my side this whole time of moving from hi res to game art. I really can't thank enough for the help. :'(

Note: I did end up taking that divet out of the LP ... most of the other ones were adding on over time because of bad bakes where the HP divet only looked good from a strange angle.