Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Hand Painted] Mini Library environment

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
Hi polycounter

Today I decided to begin a new environment.:\

It's a mini library environment. The major part of my inspiration for this environment is Diablo 3. I will try to make this one with Diablo 3 style.

The goal of this project is make a full hand painted texture to improve my texture/color skill. no normal , no specular. Maybe I will make a little Zbrush to have a good base of my textures.

Here you have a wip of my shape.

I will add a parchment on the table and maybe a gold plate on my border.

I post here to improve my skill so of course any comment,advice,idea or criticism are welcoming.:poly142:

WIP01jpg

Last Update

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like a solid start! Looking forward to seeing more! :)
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tobbo : Thanks you men ^^

there a update of the shape. I will rework the wall and the block of book after I made the textures and I will add somes spider's web.

Tell me what do you think about the "final shape".
    WIP02.jpg
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looking nice. Might be a good idea to throw a few books and melted candles around about the ground area, looking a little empty atm.

stylizing the edges on things like book selves, tables will give it a interesting look. Here is a good example. Notice the slight angle on most of the edges. Also I would not be afraid to add a few more edge loops on the base, if theirs one thing I can stand is low poly edges that break the silhouette

Look forward to textures! good luck
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CarlK3D thanks man ! It's a good idea to add few throwed books :) I decide to knock over a candles. About the low poly base I agree so I added more geometry.
    About the straight silhouette it's a choice because in diablo 3 I think is really straight silhouette because it's not a cartoon style but "realistic cartoon style" with "dark color" and straight silhouette.

There it's my """final shape""" I will rework it after the texturing + my inspiration.
    I have not decided yet what kind of floor a choose. Tell me what do you think.

WIP03.jpg
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Interesting project.

Would be nice to see the grassy style on it. With plants going down on that walls. Something like a druid library :)

Nice start btw.
  • Megacorpse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    I think candles + stone floor is a better fit especially since you already have a bunch of big wood assets. You can get interesting variation by making some stones pop out.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I think you should focus on making the library more unique instead of just making a regular library in the Diablo 3 style.

Some things you might want to think about when blocking this out:

-What's the story behind this library?
    -Who built the library?
    -What's the librarian like? (regardless if a character is included or not) The current state of the library could tell a story about the person who runs it.
    -Where is the library located? Is it in a specific zone or realm in the Diablo universe? This could determine what types of materials you should use.

I think right now while you're blocking this piece out, you should try establishing what the focal point is. The carpet is directing my attention to the podium and tall candle holder, but they're looking kinda mundane. If the podium and everything around it is your focal point, then you need to push the design on those things or arrange it in such a way that give it importance. At the very least I think you should redesign the podium and candle holders to make them more interesting. Maybe you could add an extra shelf to the middle bookshelf in the back to make it taller. Another thing I want to point out is the back wall. I think the broken areas should look more irregular instead of having them be neatly stepped.

This blockout is looking neat and I'm looking forward to seeing this progress. :)
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves hey thanks men. I wanted to add a tree root that break the wall and invaded the room. But after I know myself if I begin like that I will add MANY things ^^. But it was cool idea.

Megacorpse : Thank you. I agree I added and I will add some pebble/stone. I don't yet if I made that in the texture or on mesh.

KyleJensen : Thank you for your comment/advice. it's really appreciated. On the beginning I just wanted make a short simple mini environment with Diablo 3 style. But after all these comments you have right.
    -What's the story behind this library?
    It's an abandoned library. It's the library of a great dark magician.
    -Who built the library?
    The fanatics of this great dark magician.
    -What's the librarian like? (regardless if a character is included or not) The current state of the library could tell a story about the person who runs it.
    As I said it's a abandoned library it's why you have a knock over candle and stone and broken bookshelf.
    -Where is the library located? Is it in a specific zone or realm in the Diablo universe?
    It's not a specific zone. It's just in Diablo universe.

Here you have a update of the shape.

I have add :

- Rebuild the wall stone.
    - Rebuild the reading desk.
    - Rebuild the candle
    - a shelf on the middle bookshelf.
    - a table runner on the table and reading desk.

Tell me what do you think. And thanks again for the all comments

WIP04.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The platform really could use a few more sides; it looks like you're using 16 sides now; 32 or even 48 wouldn't be unreasonable given the size of the platform.

Things feel a bit too centered and symmetrical at the moment. Try offsetting the bookshelves a bit so the central shelves aren't directly past the carpet. Offset the dishes of candles so they don't form a perfect square. Angle the fold in the carpet so it isn't parallel to the edge of the platform.

You might want to rotate the podium 180 degrees; it would seem more natural if it were facing the shelves.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    DWalker wrote: »
    Things feel a bit too centered and symmetrical at the moment.

+1. Nice start but it could benefit from a more interesting silhouette. :icon60:
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DWalker : Thank you for your advice. I agree about the platform. About the symmetrical I don't understand because you don't have a symmetrical. You have a wall broken not symmetrical. On the right you have a table and on the left you have fallen book and same thing for the candle. I agree with you for the floor candle and for the carpet. Anyway I changed something tell me what do you think.

@ScottMichaelH : @ScottMichaelH : Hey thank you. I was sure that we can improve the silhouette.So I have add a windows with a pentacle to give more devil story. Don't hesitate to tell me what do you think.

There a update .
    - Add window to give a devil story
    - remake the wall to unsymmetrical the scene.
    - remake the candle to have a better silhouette
    - changed the position of bookshelf to unsymmetrical the scene.
    - add a lighting

Probably I will change the position of candles near the carpet to unsymmetrical the scene.

WIP05.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Nice update.
    I'm really liking everything I'm seeing :)
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Getting better, not sure what others think but I'm not crazy about the three shelves together with the outsides two being the same height. I'd recommend at least making them all three different heights.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    What are you rendering this in? I think some SSAO would go a long way on this
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mistry10 : thanks I really appreciate !:poly142:

@ScottMichaelH : I'm glad that you like more and more. I'm not agree with you. You played Diablo 3 and when you have a library you have the same height for the ALL bookshelf and it's logical because when you buy/build a bookshelf you take the same height. So for me it's enough difference between the left and the right. But if you not agree or if you have any other advice don't hesitate to tell me.:)

@BringMeAsunkist : I use Marmoset 2

I think it's enough to add something. I think it is the good moment to stop modelisation and begin the UV and texturing. Off course after that I can alway change the position. But if someone have a idea to improve it don't hesitate to tell me.:\
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I personally agree with ScottMichaelH, that's part of what is making it feel symmetrical and "cold" to me -- that they're obviously mirrored/rotated and that they're exactly the same size. But I do see what you're going for by having them all the same, so it's up to you!
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Carabiner : I will change this after maybe.

So here a update with the UV + base color. You have a lit and unlit render. Tell me what do you think about the color.

I hope u will enjoy.

WIP06.jpg
    WIP07.jpg
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. Can't wait to see more textures.
  • Megacorpse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    I think it can help to already have a clear value separation between your assets even if you're still laying the base colors. That will leave you less tweaking to do when the textures are fully painted.

1410346247-0twrgw9p.jpg

If you unsaturate your scene, you can see how everything has the same contrast values. That makes it less readable. Your shelves should be darker than your wall, your carpet darker than your floor, etc.
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Megacorpse : Yeah I agrea. It's a good advice. I will take time to make this. thx :)

I have a question about the "Diablo 3 style".:poly122:

What is the best way to get the best result ?

I mean it's beter to make a Zbrush to bake some map to have a base for texturing ( like this )

Or make a texture from scrach ?

I think they both are good and one is not better than other but just different.
    If someone are more comfortable with Zbrush the first is better but if he are more comfortable with drawing skill the seconde it's better.

I know my question is hard to reply because it's depend of the artist ( it's my advice ofc ):poly141:

So tell me what do you think , any reply is welcoming.:poly142:
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey polycounter. Here a update of the contrast setup. Tell me if it's better to read the different shape. And don't forget my last question.:poly142:

WIP08.jpg
  • damir_boz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what I'm seeing here, great job

Regarding the texturing, baking some maps from zbrush like AO to have as a base for your handpainting would be easier, but probably more time-consuming

If you are confident in your painting skills you should probably rely on photoshop layers and adding different blend modes on them (Multiply, overlay) to add light and value detail
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks you for your advice. I think I will use Zbrush
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! :)

It was a long time I don't post a update because I was really busy and I didn't have time to continue this project.:poly142:

But now it's ok and I have the time to continue this project. I hope you still impatient to see the final of project.

There a little update with the table + carpet + book.

Of course do not hesitate to tell me your advice !!!:\

WIP09.jpg
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Looking interesting. Definitely change the color of the book so it is not the same color as the wooden table. Also, maybe add some more slight color variation to the wooden boards forming the table.

The silhouette for the table is a little odd as well. Personally I would have made each board be separate geometry. That way you can really vary how much each board sticks out.
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here a update with color change + bottle.

@Tobbo : Hey Tobbo thanks you for your advice. I agree 100% about the color of the book and variation of table. I changed it tell me what do you think.

WIP10.jpg
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ! A update with new bottles + bookshelf . I will add the broken shelf tomorrow maybe.

I hope you enjoy it !:poly142:

Advices and comments are welcoming.

WIP11.jpg
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Looks neat so far! Nice progress on the texturing so far, I think it could benefit from an AO pass though.
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ! A update with the broken shelf + books !! I will add some paper on plane with alpha

I hope you enjoy it !:poly142:
    turpedo on 09-27-2014 07:32 AM
    Looks neat so far! Nice progress on the texturing so far, I think it could benefit from an AO pass though.
    Thanks you :) I really like your work too . I agree with you , I will add it after.

WIP12.jpg
  • toco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toco polycounter lvl 4
    realy, realy nice!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Nidal nice work, I see you really improved since Albert Jacquard ^^. Keep it up man.
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There a update with reading desk !

I hope you still enjoy it !

@toco : Thanks you :)

@Texelion : Hey Julien !! I really appreciate your comment. I working hard since "Albert Jacquard" to improve my skills. And it's really fun because you work have inspired me so much ! Thanks again and of course don't hesitate to give me your advice !

WIP13.jpg
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A new update with a close up of window !!! Next step... THE STONE WALL !

WIP14.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    The front planes of your bookshelves are brighter than their top planes. The cloth on the table and alter could be tattered and maybe even stained in some areas. The cloths should have their top planes painted in if they're being draped over something.
  • Andy H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    Kyle has some great points! Looking at your window, I can see that you've got some baking errors on the edges from your cavity map (the black lines). Think these can happen from the edges being sharp and crisp before they were sculpted down. It shouldn't take too long to just paint over them with the surrounding values.

Do you also plan to have some light coming through the window? If so, you could paint in some bounce light and also give a nice gradient to the inner parts of the window to really pull it forward to the viewer.

Looking forward to seeing some more updates!
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KyleJensen : Thanks to follow my work, I am agree 100% with you ! I will change that !

@Andy H : Hey Andy thank you for your comment ! I'm agree with Kyle too and I will change that. About the black lines I'm not sure to understand. Do you speak about the stroke of window ? If you speak about that it's just a stroke on photoshop and not a error of my backing ^-^. And about the lighting. Yes I will add a light coming through the window! by the way you have maybe a tips to improve my stone ? I'm sure that it can improve but I don't know how :(. Maybe add more matter on my Zbrush...
  • Andy H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    I attached a little paint over to show you what I meant regarding the black lines. I think if you fixed them up it would really help your edges a lot. Also, try playing around with morph targets in Zbrush, it will help with getting nice transitions with your stone planes.
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I understand now, I was sure that was not the stroke xD. You are right. I will change that. About the morph target I can't make that without remake my Zbrush no ? Thanks you again for your support and please continue like that :p
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A new little update ! Of course any comment/advice or idea to improve is welcoming :)

- Remake window texture ( Thanks you again Andy ^^ )
    - Remake the shape of cloth ( Tanks you Kyle :p )
    - adjustment of the top of bookshelf
    - A render on marmoset with a lighting and posteffect (maybe to mutch blue xD). It's a wip lighting not the final render.

WIP15.jpg
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A update with just a Zbrush of one stone wall. Tell me what do you think :)

WIP16.jpg
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    Hey nice progress so far, I wanted to share a quick PO on your table if you don't mind. I see the latest version has some color variations, but I think you could push it even more. This PO shows a lot of tweaks that could be applied to anything actually like the stone arch, diferent stone colors/values, some gradients from the bottom, color bleeds etc.

Hope it helps. I'm digging some of your highpoly sculps from your website a lot, very clean dude. You just need more texturing work to make your highpolys read even better.

• Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Orb Thanks alot for your feedback !!!
    I was very inspired by your work so is very cool to get your advice ^^

But I have a question : "normally" it's not good to put a light information in to texture because it is the role of the light to do that no ?
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    Even normal mapped games use light informations on their textures, through baking point lights like dota2, or using green channels, or just having a mix of sculpt and handpainted textures. See it as enhanced readability, as long as it doesn't go against your lighting too much, which it doesn't if it's stuff like AO shadows and simple gradients. Also your style is very handpainted, so if you take a game like WOW, their textures are completely handpainted, but their game isn't unlit either, they also have a lighting on top of it.
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok Orb I understand better now. Thanks
  • B_Korth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B_Korth polycounter lvl 8
    @Dragonar: Any chance you would be able to post your wire frame of your scene? I am working on a similar project in my class and seeing how much detail you have in your models will help me out! :)
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Everyone !! I didn't have time to work on my personal project because I found a job in another country but anyway. Now I'm back !!!!:poly142: There a update with the carpet tell me what do you think :)

@B_Kort : I'm sorry to reply you just now but do you still need the wireframe or maybe is too late ?:poly136:

WIP17.jpg
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there !

Here a new update with the wood floor. I tried to take consideration every comment ( for this texture especially from Orb :poly121:). I will make the same thing for each textures but I plan to do that at the end just before the lighting.:poly142:
    I really like the result I hope u like too ( especially Orb:poly124: )
    Don't hesitate to give me feedback/advices

WIP18.jpg
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Polycounters ^^

There a mini update . I made a paintover ( left ) and faster render (right). I wanted to try to blend """2 style"" ( it's not style but render ^^ ) from handpainted for the main part to PBR for the base. For me the both are cool because on left we style in the same style/render but on right we have a "fight" between two render and it's mean it's more like a figurine.

PS : I really made a faster paintover and faster PBR render offcourse I will working on after take choice

What do u think ? :poly142:

WIP19.jpg
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    Salut Dragonar :P

I like the one on the left better because it looks way warmer, especially the wood. Im curious how the diorama looks when you have the bricks in the background finished, will look a lot more finished then. Keep it up! :)
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi polycounters ^^

I'm back for this scene, I know I'm away since long time but I'm back :poly142: .
    I really want to finish this diorama but it's really hard to make professional project and also personal project.:poly122: I will do my best to finish this scene first for me and second for the people that followed me and give me so nice advices.
    Here this is a update, it still wip and I didn't apply the advices you guys gave to me but ofc I will make a polish pass with your advice when I finish with every texture.

So enjoy and feel free to give me more constructive criticism:poly136:

WIP20.jpg