Home Technical Talk

game environment/level creation workflow?

I am familiar with 3d workflows of tv/film but now want to learn game environment art. Can someone pls tell me what the major tools used are? I take it something like vue, speedtree, etc may not be compatible with game engines? So is it just creating assets and putting then in the scene in unity or unreal? How do u go about making foliage, terrain?

I am mostly familiar with maya, 3ds ma. Do i need to work in unity or unreal to create a game environment level or can it be created in a 3d package like maya/3ds and then imported by programmer to unity/unreal.

I cant find anything online. Its either tuts on creating general 3d environments or its importing 3d assets into game engines. Nothing about the workflow on creating a game environment workflow.

My guess is:
1. create assets and texture them in maya/3dsmax/modo. Import into game engine.
2. but what about procedural meshes like trees, terrain, etc. Maya has dynamics and paint effects which can help with generating such procedurals but will they be viable for in-game envirnoments??

Hence I am asking for a workflow specific to games.

Replies

• Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Your common tools are the 3d packages, mostly for hard surface models and base meshes. Zbrush, Mudbox for sculpting. Photoshop for texturing. + lots of other third party tools or plugins that can help you with specific tasks.

The most common workflow is to create hipoly meshes and bake them onto low poly meshes that will be used in the games. Pretty much everything can be made this way. Most things in games are unwrapped and textured. Proceduraly content exists but highly depends on what type of game and engine it is for. It is not the norm.

Speedtrees are used in a number of games but way lower poly then what you're used to from film probably. Many still use handcrafted trees in their games.
    Terrain can be made either completely of meshes or the engine supports terrain that can be imported from a heightmap (made in world machine, geocontrol etc. or sculpted).

All in all there is not a workflow specific to games but a workflow specific to engines and the requirements of the game you are working on. For some games levels can be assembled in max or maya. Most engines come with a level editor tho where you put together your assets like lego.