Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylised Nautical Beefcake Zombie

Replies

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    Yerrrp, I'm still going. Finished retopoing skipper and friend, I ended up just doing it all by hand in topogun and it took far, far longer than I expected. Maybe next time I'll try doing an auto retopo from Zbrush or 3Dcoat and use it as a base. At least I'm up to the good stuff now.
    Also I entered in an art comp, not planning on doing anything too crazy but I'm sure it won't help me get this finished faster.
    lqOwnBM.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Cant wait to see this guy finished :) good luck in the comp, and I think the retop looks great, totally worth doing it properly in my opinion.
  • MadGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MadGunslinger polycounter lvl 3
    Cool work, keep it up!
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    Cheers guys, here is the low-poly with AO and normal bakes applied. They're a bit rough in a few spots, but overall came out pretty well. At the moment everything is on 2x4k textures, but half of one is left empty for the anchor (when I get around to making it) and I reckon I could get away with using 2k's in the end.
    pkS6AQV.jpg
  • Huw_Dawson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a shame that this guy can only give one thumbs up, because he deserves two. Great job!
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Haha. This is awesome! The hermit crab idea is genius.
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    Hey all, it's been ages again but I've recently had time to get back to this, so here is where I'm at with textures - no spec maps yet and the normals still need a bit of cleaning up but I think the diffuse is close to done. So far the tattoos have been the most time consuming, but also pretty fun. I still think there needs to be a few more tats around the back and neck, but it's coming together finally.

• jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, first up this dude is freakin rad. Tonnes of character. 
    Secondly, I think there is a lot more  you could do with your diffuse.

It feels like you are relying on the AO to give you all your detail.
    Add some noise/colour variation to his skin. Pick out the hot, cold and bone zones and tint them accordingly.
    For the tattoos a trick I like to do is apply a noise to the layer and give it a small gaussian blur, helps to break up the line work and make it look less stickery. I also add a hue shift to it to give it a little blue... But that's on human skin, should be the same on zombie skin?

The pants I feel are too saturated, they sit on the same level as the skin and feels like they are fighting for attention.
    I'd drop the saturation down a bit and scuff them fuckers up.

As for his little friend, I think you are doing him a disservice by not giving him his own flavour. He just fades into darkness over there. Borrowing from the purples you have in the skin around the wounds on skipper I think you could pull some reds into him without it being too much.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. This is a really ace piece and I look forward to seeing what you do next.

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    Hey Jacob, glad you like him so far. Cheers for all the feedback - I agree that the diffuse is pretty plain, originally my thought was that I would keep the sculpt and texture clean but it looks strange with the noise from tattoos now. Perhaps doing a pass with a textured brush will do the trick.
    And as you could tell I was struggling with the crab - was trying to go for a colour scheme like a freshwater cray but its become pretty dark.

Also tee-hee at "bone zones".
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8

Looking great Junkie. I've always been a fan of this color scheme for freshwater crabs. It would also help bring out some warm colors with the oranges on the legs. Can't wait to see more!

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    Okay so small update on textures from feedback: most noticeably is the crab which I tried making a red/purple scheme but it ended up looking the same colour as the surrounding flesh. Then I tried making it orange like Aaron suggested but the contrast was a bit extreme, so in the ended I kind of blended both variations and I think it came out okay, at least its more visually interesting now.
    Pretty bloody sick of looking at him at this point, so I kind of just want to push on and get it finished when I can.