Home Quixel Megascans

Masking Problem??

mstyle028
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mstyle028 polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys. I've just downloaded Quixel Suite.

First I've tried to do some tests and the result wasnt good like what i have seen in the youtube tutorials. It looks like there were some problems in masking. Im not sure. I dont know photoshop that much.

I have uploaded a maps (Colormap,AO, cavity, diffuse ) which i baked in Xnormal (Here you can see what the maps look like. )

2_by_mstyle028-d7u8dfs.jpg

Here is the resulted baked map, you can see in the Screenshot below. I firstly used, military metal and the output wasnt good. Then i tried to used another smart material which is painted concrete and the result is stil lthe same

1_by_mstyle028-d7u8dg1.png

I followed all the intsructions correctly, in the youtube tutorials.

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    It looks like your green texture there, which I'm assuming is the IDs is the problem. You need solid colors there and I can see baking errors. Everywhere I see those errors, I see the same problems in your texture there.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As BradMeyers82 says, the color id can only consist of solid colors! If you sort that out you should be good to go!
  • mstyle028
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. this is my the maps for my color ID. Sorry i did not post it there.. _colormap_by_mstyle028-d7utw11.jpg

here is the list of the maps included above.

height map, ambient occlusion map, curvature map, cavity map.
  • mstyle028
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here i made a new baked maps. for a new object.

screenshot_shoulder01_by_mstyle028-d7uu0vi.jpg

Here i made a test in Quixel suite. The result still the same.

screenshot_shoulder02_by_mstyle028-d7uu0vt.jpg

With this problem, i jsut found out that i can only use a few materials in Quixel which is the green metal etc. for
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    I have encountered this bug as well. What you need to do is click on he mask icon and it will load the mask creator. I don't have images right now but there is a preset in there called iD's I believe or something similar. Clicking that usually fixes that issue.

Another work around is to create an empty group and pick your Mat ID for that empty group and drag your materials in there.

Sorry I dont have image I hope that makes sense.
  • mstyle028
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Josh, thanks for the reply.

I cant find the Preset " ID " . :(

And i dont know how to pick the MAT ID into the group. sorry!!

Hmm can you please make a screenshoit if possible? I dont usually know all the tools in Photoshop. Please.!
    Thanks!
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Ill grab one for you tonight or tmo morning :-).

Oh wait...I think I see the problem now. I didnt notice this before but you didnt assign any of those Materials to an ID.

To the right of each material in the dDo UI is a tiny square. Click that and pick your color form your iD map.

Does that do the trick?
  • mstyle028
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i have added a material into each color ID. im not sure if do i have to add a right material into color ID for each Smart materials. Here is a screenshot. screenshot_shoulder03_by_mstyle028-d7uul2i.jpg

The problem is Some smart materials are doing okay, but only few materials only, like the dirty green metals etc. but the rest is not working. :/
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Thank you for providing the screen gab it helps :-).

In the previous post where you show the screen grab that features the 3 materials "Dirty Grey Metal", "Battle Armor", and "Scratched Metal" none of those materials have an ID assignment which is why they are flooding the document.

What you need to do is go in and say this smart material I just made belongs to this Mat ID color. Lets say for example you make "Dirty Grey Metal" Smart Material. Once you make that you need to assign an ID color.

In the right side of the floating UI for each Material made you need to click the little square and assign a material ID color.

Hope this is helping!
  • mstyle028
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Josh, I never knew i still needed to assign a material. NOW i know heh.

Hmm i jst followed your instructions and its getting there. The problem now is the masking i think? Here a screenshot of the new material settings.
    screenshot_shoulder04_by_mstyle028-d7uuopf.jpg
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    YES! Now it is working, good deal!

What do you mean the problem now is the masking? I am not following because now to me it is working, the materials are separated.
  • mstyle028
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm as you can see I assigned an optimus prime material which it needed to be Color blue?. and some scratches are included but the output is just like that.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Try starting over with a whole new set up and see how that goes.
  • mstyle028
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep I think the masking is the problem now. Here as you can see i assigned a red concrete material on it. and this is the output. Looks like the masking was inverted im not sure.

screenshot_shoulder05_by_mstyle028-d7uurhp.jpg
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Try loading up only your normal map and material id map.

Also are you saying its supposed to be red because the little material ID square is red or you set your albedo color to actually be red?
  • mstyle028
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm i did not uploaded a normal map on it. only AO and Cavity map.

What i meant is the albedo should've been red(default). Red Concrete material.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    All I can think is to break it down to basics, try loading only a normal map and a color id map so you can assign materials in dDo. Try to see where if anything maybe some of the other maps are causing the problem.
  • mstyle028
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Josh,! Wow. i only uploaded Colord ID and normal map on it and i think its okay now. so its not really needed an AO or cavity on it?? Cause i just followed the instruction the tutorials in youtube.

screenshot_shoulder06_by_mstyle028-d7uuvku.jpg

Thank you so much man!!!
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Cool I am glad it is working and am glad to help!

Those maps help dDo when assessing where damage and wear goes.

What did your curvature map look like? Did you bake it from xNormal or nDo?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much Josh_lynch for helping out :)
  • Vipera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    I have found that ColorID map is necessary for correct texturing even if object has only one material. Is it right?
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    If I am following what you are saying correctly then the answer is yes. A color id map allows clean separation of materials dDo creates.
  • mstyle028
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @josh, thanks again!

i baked it in zbrush first for some tests. and it didnt work, then i baked it again in xnormal and it has same result. :(

here ' is the render i did, textures was made in dDO, and added some scratches in photoshop.

diffuse_by_mstyle028-d7vhttt.jpg

I will final composite it again in photoshop. thanks gain man!
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    So glad you were able to get some results you wanted!

Look forward to your next updates :-)