Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy of the face in Zbrush - feedback needed!

Calling all anatomy nerds!

I am currently developing a video-game together with my pals in which we have come to the point where we need to get our main character to come alive. We're all very young students and in order to make this video-game we've been forced to learn extremely much in a very short time. We are now surprisingly good at 3DS-Max, Photoshop and Unity, and now i'm also getting into Zbrush and I really need your help.

This is my very first human character in Zbrush, and I have been basically been repeating myself over and over until I get something I can work with. It has taken me a very long time but it seems like I've been able to get a good foundation of my sculpt.

Here's an screenshot:
b974cda7a21da6ff6d600b5a29dd74a1.png

So, I need this character to be as realistic as I possibly can. There will be many closeups and emotional scenes, and I will not have the player distracted by petty mistakes. Therefor I'm asking you guys for a hand!!

So, I have an outline for how the character is going to look.
c50ba8934c12f7aa1607368cd5540cee.png

It clearly isn't similar to the drawing of the character, but before i go in and completely screw up my sculpt i'd love some friendly advice.

I am sorry if this got a little long. It's my first thread here on Polycount and I hope it's acceptable... If there is any interest in how we're doing on the game by the way, i'm happy to post some updates if someone's interested :)

Cheers!!
-T

Replies

• Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Its looking good especially for a first attempt to sculpt a human head in zbrush.
    Things that stand out to me are the nose, eye anatomy and ear placement.
    This site is a great resource for sculptors.
    Hopefully it helps.

https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/?menu=9&sub=22#body
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    It might be worth doing a clean, grey render so we can see what the actual sculpt looks like. :)
    Kinda looks like you're doing some of the fun stuff (and going all out with the subdiv levels) before building a solid foundation, which is easy to do when you're in Zbrush. It's hard to tell with that texture on there, though.

If you can do that, grabbing a view from the side while you're there can help us help you, too.
  • Mr T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys! Really helpful :)

I have been playing around, and have now decided to do a 1/2 restart :D

Here is an re-meshed and a bit modified render of the sculpt:
    3f6063bbebe0fc86442f3e2914b9541f.png

About the sub-division part, I have now learned my lesson haha! I'll definitely make sure that the proportions are right before I go to the fun stuff :) Oh, don't bother with the neck, I haven't gotten there yet
  • Mr T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:

Alright, after some more research I managed to sculpt this:
    6cf4d30bced83da5f3279c5aafb50c2e.png

Thanks guys!