Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Narravon

Hello!
I'm trying to establish a futuristic desert ruin/temple environment, but I'm not too certain what I should do with the rest of the canvas. For now I'm just playing around with shapes and photo textures. I know it needs to be cleaned up quite a bit.
I'm a complete novice so any tips would be greatly appreciated!
21lvn7m.jpg

Replies

• FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty interesting start how you flipped ceiling arches upside down. As far as what to do with the rest of your image well that comes down to what you were thinking when you started in this direction. If you're stuck on a dead end I would look at reference pictures to get inspired.

One thing to get you started, if your idea is too vague in your head start asking yourself questions. First question I would have for this is "How far futuristic". At the moment this looks like some blend of eras super old and somewhat modern industrial. So if you want this to be very futuristic it needs something more.

Another question to ask yourself is "What kind of a future is it?" Dystopian, Post Apocalypse, Utopian and Cyberpunk and others are all very different "futuristic" branches. So take a moment to think of what sort of a future your trying to convey.

Another great question to ask is "What is the culture like of this civilization"

After you've answered those questions in your head, try thinking about "What kind of technology do they have" and "What is it used for". You would be surprised how much an area becomes believable when you put some thought into the hows and whys. Before you know it, the environment will build itself and the more you do the easier it is to keep branching off so keep messing around until something pops for you.