Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

D6K BullDozer

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Billabong polycounter lvl 15
This is something I'm doing for work. The polycount is a little high for low poly, but its not going to be in an actual game but more for web a interactive type thing. The base diffuse, normal, and AO is all baked. Time to start dirtying it up. I attached the High poly as well.

Thanks for looking.

-Brandon

Click on the attached images at the bottom for the hi res.

high_poly_zps87a5c904.jpg

Low_poly_wire_zpsa416cf20.jpg

diffuse_zpsba017399.jpg

Replies

• GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Nice detail. Good bake. Cant wait to see this textured fully
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Hot damn that is a clean bake. Really nice high poly and low poly work. Did some similar stuff for a similar application, but with cranes. Awesome stuff.
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a texture update. Still need to rough up the blade a bit. and mess with those windows. Once again, click on the attached image at the bottom of the post for the hi res.

texture_update_zpsf62d3911.jpg
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I apologize for being rude and not replying, but thank you Add3r and GrungyStudios for commenting.

-Brandon
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update to the texturing so far.

tex_update2.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Are you going for last gen or PBR?
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you going for last gen or PBR?

I guess you could say its closer to a last gen, since the poly count is a little high.

I mainly wanted to make a lower poly model from the high poly to out in a game engine, so introduce this to a client. So its not really going to be in a game. More like training sims, augmented reality, interactive web pages, etc...

-Brandon
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the fully textured model using Xoliul shader, now to try it in Unreal

Dozer_final.jpg
  • WhiskyDelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WhiskyDelta polycounter lvl 6
    It's looking good, my only observations are....

Some of panel gap dirt looks a little uniform. Like you have just don't a single pass of consistent opacity using a soft round brush.

Also while I think the scratches on the yellow metal radiator at the front of dozer look good, they all seem to be horizontal which would indicate they have been created from debris moving at a high velocity into the face of the dozer which doesn't seem natural for something this slow and cumbersome. I would keep what ever technique you used but random the direction of the scratches.

Finally I am not sure about the front dozer blade scuffing and bare metal. This is the signature part of the vehicle and it is not quite right. From all the images I looked at on Google of dozer blades, if the blade is old and worn enough to have the paint removed, there is no traces of any paint at the very lower levels of the blade. Think just google old dozer blade and look at little more referance. Eat 3d dozer tutorial will help as well if you haven't already seen/ have it.

Looking good though, just my two pence worth.

Whisky

Edit: sorry just noticed something else which stood out. All the scratched paint on the low running gear appears to be very consistent while not taking account it's form. Such as there is equal amount of scratching on the recessed areas as the more exposed areas, and even scratched running right into the nooks and crannies of the reassessed areas which again could not get scratched like that IRL.
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much Whisky for giving me such a helpful critique. It is greatly appreciated.

-Brandon
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another update on the texturing.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I'm sorry to say but you toke you're textures from interesting but incorrect to boring.

I say keep everything you got in your 20 july update and just work with the scratches.

I like the scratches in the front.. For all we know the blade was just switched to a new one.. Just figure out where does cool scratches could go and place them there.. I think radial scratches made from the moving pistons and what not are bad ass as well.. Think about how the machine moves I guess..
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you sltrOlsson , your absolutely right. I will work on that.

Thanks again