Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Templar IV

Hello!

I've never produced Concept Art in a professional manner before, but this one very much peeked my interest so here I am!

My idea sprouted as a classic kind of UT level , however I decided come up with backstory to inspire me some more.

Background:

A Liandri deep space mining vessel, "The Templar IV", lost contact after it’s first hyperspace jump some decades ago.

It was suspected there was a malfunction on jump drive, but no one could calculate it's new position to check.

Thankfully the ship's distress beacon was detected recently, far from it’s original trajectory in the Eden asteroid belt as wreckage. Signs indicate that the ship warped in some asteroids and sustained heavy casualties.

Interestingly enough, life signs are detected but there are no humanoid signatures, only vegetation. It would seem that the few surviving crew members managed to modify the ship’s shield to hold it in an artificial atmosphere. They converted the shuttles into mining drones to harvest ice crystals from the belt as well as minerals to sustain their only source of food, the vegetation that was held in the garden deck.

The systems being fully automated, they held out for as long as they could for a rescue party that sadly never came. The ship being self-sufficient from then on kept going with basic AI protocols and the vegetation could simply keep growing unhindered.

The first boarding party that found the Templar IV discovered it overrun with vegetation; a fog covered the floors of the decks, manmade streams of water, moss and vines taking over. Some trees even outgrew the ship to pierce through the hull itself and make their way out of the ship.

Design:

The design falls back on a few basic ideas:

-Floating in space. (facing worlds and such UT99 levels)
-Technological setting reclaimed and consumed by nature.
-Decks of varying sizes for open and close combat as well as vertical action.
-Imitation of nature (waterfalls or streams, vines and wires intertwined, roots and wreckage in the floors)

Process:

Being a novice at concept art, I’m planning to go a way I think will be sufficient.

I’m blocking in basic rooms and architecture in 3d, so that my perspective, lighting and layout is mostly fine, I’ll then proceed to cover it all with some assets then clean up the best shots.

At this point I’m still in the stage of fleshing out the space in the Unreal Engine, that’ll be my next post!

Replies