Home General Discussion

Anybody know what's up with Crytek?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
I've read a few articles here and there and heard the rumors. Does anybody know how bad it really is?
Is Crytek doomed?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Check out the last few pages of this thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132602&page=5

They've canceled 2 games, reports say they are having issues paying people, they've told employees to not talk to the press, their new engine subscription model has been poorly received.

It's been a bad year for Crytek so far.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anybody know if the Austin studio will still be around?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's hard to say what will happen - but I suspect their US operations would be the first to go if they restructure (or at least that'd be one of the ones I'd cut).

That would really suck for the people working there, having their studio killed twice in such a short period of time :/
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like some glassdoor reviews shed some light on the situation:
    http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Crytek-Reviews-E347451.htm
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Jeez, old boys clubs. If theres one singular thing i hate above all else it's the management creating pockets of staff higher than others, in the same team when they do the same job because there friends.

Good luck Cry ;/
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I'm sure that all this bad publicity must be for founded in truth at some level. Fingers crossed no layoffs happen. Maybe Cevat should sell off a couple of Ferraris :)
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I really hope they iron things out, they make some of the best looking games on the market.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    It would be such a shame to see them go - the Nottingham studio especially.

I know some amazingly talented guys there... keeping my fingers crossed for them.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone I know at the Nottingham studio has walked out and taken work elsewhere :/
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Anyone know if Rich Smith is there? Pretty sick artist, worked on some of the characters for (the now canned) Timesplitters 4. Would be interested to see if he's still there.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    Everyone I know at the Nottingham studio has walked out and taken work elsewhere :/

Really? Oh man - bad times indeed.

I'll have to send aout a few mails and see if I can find out how the guys are I know are doing then.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    MeshMagnet wrote: »
    Looks like some glassdoor reviews shed some light on the situation:
    http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Crytek-Reviews-E347451.htm
    Well damn I would have never expect the company to be that chaotic.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    It would truly suck to see the spearhead of german game development go. I mean who is left? Bluebyte / Related Desing probably but thats really it as far as i can see with really big studios. Everything else seems to go into F2P browser games...
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would truly suck to see the spearhead of german game development go. I mean who is left? Bluebyte / Related Desing probably but thats really it as far as i can see with really big studios. Everything else seems to go into F2P browser games...

From what I gather, GoodGame are trying to go into 'conventional' games. Yeah.
    Torch wrote: »
    Anyone know if Rich Smith is there? Pretty sick artist, worked on some of the characters for (the now canned) Timesplitters 4. Would be interested to see if he's still there.

Still there to my knowledge.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    From what I gather, GoodGame are trying to go into 'conventional' games. Yeah.
    Maybe i mean right now they are all about F2P. And it's a nice place to work (spend 3 motnhs interning there) but they would need way more manpower to expand into "conventional" games. I mean there are Inogames and so on as well.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10

There is creator of men of war series,digitalmindsoft.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    ivanzu wrote: »
    There is creator of men of war series,digitalmindsoft.

Men of War are made from ground up by Ukranian developers Best Way.

Germany still has Daedalic and those guys who made Venetica and now are making this Dark Souls game which is produced by the former CD Projekt RED producer, I forgot the title but it's pretty known.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    What about Yager?
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, and there is also a pretty cool studio which made Whispered World and some turn-based strategy game, I forgot the name.

Also Piranha Byte (Gothica, Risen series).
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    dzibarik wrote: »
    Men of War are made from ground up by Ukranian developers Best Way.

Germany still has Daedalic and those guys who made Venetica and now are making this Dark Souls game which is produced by the former CD Projekt RED producer, I forgot the title but it's pretty known.

I'm pretty sure that original men of war was made by Ukrainian company but later ones by digitalmindsoft or they are cooperating.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I have readed a lot about the issues with crytek (salaries not being paid, people leaving the company due to that, etc.), but at the end, all the "trash" and "horror stories" will be hided as always.

this is what happens when a company wants to grow very very fast. Epic Fail.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

I think we just have to get used to an industry that has fewer giant studios and more medium and small developers. The void being filled with F2P is preferable to the industry simply contracting.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I think we just have to get used to an industry that has fewer giant studios and more medium and small developers. The void being filled with F2P is preferable to the industry simply contracting.

preach on brotha!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Blaizer wrote: »

this is what happens when a company wants to grow very very fast. Epic Fail.

I would probably say more a 'Crytek fail', hyahyahya
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think the problem with Crytek is that they are always behind the swing of the industry or just can't predict the trends. After the success of Crysis 1 they wanted to get in on the console gaming scene that was exploding at the time. Crysis 2 was a success on consoles, but Crysis 3 flopped because the console market didn't really like Crysis 2 and PC gamers felt burned.

Ryse was just a horrible idea. They should have stuck to what they are good at and created a new IP shooter as a lunch title, which probably would have done much better than Ryse. FPS with decent online always sell well in the consoles early life cycle. I just do not understand that decision to make an action game when your studio has always made FPS games.

Then they switched their focus to F2P and by the time they released the game that market was way over saturated as well and nobody was interested.

To top it all off they just try to create a half assed subscription model to try to match with what Epic is doing. The difference is Epic is actually offering a service, and Crytek is not doing anything. Epic has huge updates every month or less, they are constantly putting up tutorial videos, creating example content, and documenting everything is great detail. Crytek on the other hand do not do any of that and I do not see why I would pay for that.

I feel bad because I know some people that work for Crytek, but they are just completely lost in the business decisions they have been making over the years.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Crytek management's culture doesn't have the same passion for gaming as Epic's does. To illustrate this you can compare Crytek's CEO to Epic's founder. Cevat seems to be in it for "the hustle" when u look at his business decisions. I'm not saying Sweeney isn't either, but he's one of those guys whose very life is personally invested in gaming itself as an institution, not only as a business. And you can hear this reflected in the rhetoric of the people who he's working with, and also you can see it being reflected in their business model.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    Pancakes wrote: »
    Crytek management's culture doesn't have the same passion for gaming as Epic's does. To illustrate this you can compare Crytek's CEO to Epic's founder. Cevat seems to be in it for "the hustle" when u look at his business decisions. I'm not saying Sweeney isn't either, but he's one of those guys whose very life is personally invested in gaming itself as an institution, not only as a business. And you can hear this reflected in the rhetoric of the people who he's working with, and also you can see it being reflected in their business model.

to me Cevat feels like a dodgy businessman while Sweeney is a good old hardcore nerd at heart.
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    BARDLER wrote: »
    To top it all off they just try to create a half assed subscription model to try to match with what Epic is doing. The difference is Epic is actually offering a service, and Crytek is not doing anything. Epic has huge updates every month or less, they are constantly putting up tutorial videos, creating example content, and documenting everything is great detail. Crytek on the other hand do not do any of that and I do not see why I would pay for that.

I agree with you in that I feel that Crytek - or more precisely the management - seems to run after the hip things (first consoles, then F2P and as a result being late to both), but did you actually follow the subscription model since it's release? Since release Crytek has updated the engine nearly every week, they also constantly keep updating the documentation and releasing assets (or updating old ones to PBR) that you can use in your games for free. And they seem to keep their promise of more source access - the last two updates included source access for multiple systems.

Of course not everything is perfect, the documentation still has areas that are lacking or are oudated, and they haven't released video tutorials like Epic, but you are exaggerating when you say Crytek does not do anything of that.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Skamander wrote: »
    Since release Crytek has updated the engine nearly every week, they also constantly keep updating the documentation and releasing assets (or updating old ones to PBR) that you can use in your games for free. And they seem to keep their promise of more source access - the last two updates included source access for multiple systems.

Of course not everything is perfect, the documentation still has areas that are lacking or are oudated, and they haven't released video tutorials like Epic, but you are exaggerating when you say Crytek does not do anything of that.

Yea, I'm working on a project in CE right now and I have to say that they've done a lot since it went on Steam. There are a lot of preview assets to check out.

Obviously, they still have a lot to work on; however, I feel like a lot of people hate on CryEngine just to hate on it, without actually trying to MAKE something with it. It's pretty fantastic to get some assets in engine quickly with great dynamic lighting without having to bake any light-maps.
  • Zepic
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Denying it all when a bunch of their staff is calling them out on it... ya. smart move....

I really hope people land on their feet from this. Terrible situation to be in.
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    I haven't read much into Crytek's subscription model, is it really that bad?
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe this didn't end up happening, but wasn't Crytek trying to get into the simulation industry as well? I remember a few years ago when I was working on a military simulation company there was talk about Crytek getting into that to compete with VBS2 and such.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Yea, I'm working on a project in CE right now and I have to say that they've done a lot since it went on Steam. There are a lot of preview assets to check out.

Obviously, they still have a lot to work on; however, I feel like a lot of people hate on CryEngine just to hate on it, without actually trying to MAKE something with it. It's pretty fantastic to get some assets in engine quickly with great dynamic lighting without having to bake any light-maps.

Well let me put it like this. I guess i have a Full Disclosure moment right here. lol. I don't have bad wishes on Crytek employees. But Crytek the company rubbed me the wrong way when they assured blender users that they'd add support for us but that support only materialized as a half assed static mesh importer that a member of the community made on his own without help from Crytek. So maybe I do sort of secretly hate Crytek management on some subconscious level. Cuz I was a fresh faced little game dev kiddo back then. I had all my hopes and dreams invested in them. And they led me on. It just wasn't cool.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe this didn't end up happening, but wasn't Crytek trying to get into the simulation industry as well? I remember a few years ago when I was working on a military simulation company there was talk about Crytek getting into that to compete with VBS2 and such.

I've listened a podcast with Unity, 4A Games and Unigine engine architects and the Unigine CEO said that Crytek failed to break in the simulation industry in a signifficant fashion while Unigine failed to take a foothold in games market but is doing quite well in simulation.
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    Crysis 2 - Maximum Pack currently 75 % off on Steam. Coincidence? I think company is in the urgent need of money now.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i think they just want to make some money off of all the free publicity.
  • joarwho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joarwho polycounter lvl 5
    dzibarik wrote: »
    I've listened a podcast with Unity, 4A Games and Unigine engine architects and the Unigine CEO said that Crytek failed to break in the simulation industry in a signifficant fashion while Unigine failed to take a foothold in games market but is doing quite well in simulation.

Can you share the link to that podcast? I would really appreciate it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator

My experience with Sims is that unless you have some kind of dedicated rig for the simulator itself, then chances are its going to need to be able to run on a pretty wide range of hardware, including a big selection of lower end machines that likely didn't have games in mind when they were acquired. They'll aim for something they can install just about anywhere, without needing new computers to go along with it. I can't see cryengine being used the same way I saw vbs and unity.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    crytek is working on multiple titles simultaniously

http://www.huntthegame.com/
    https://arenaoffate.com/ and so on..

they try to differentiate their products to improve market share. Most of them are newly produced titles popped up at almost same time. It makes sense from purely bussinessman pov but in the creative industries like this one I'm not sure about outcome of revolving multiple plates at the same time.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    guys - just read glassdor reviews. There saying alot truth about ongoing shit
    in a company.. Its not only crytek - there alot of other companys, who havin huge
    management troubles.. Cant say enough - its a great plattform to recieve and write feedback!
    As a german - its really said to see one of two of our AAA studios going down eventually.
    I wish they land on their feed - hope the management hear and respect their employees and DO something.
    I also wish, that germany will have more AAA studios in the future!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Crytek needs to last until Star Citizen comes out.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    joarwho wrote: »
    Can you share the link to that podcast? I would really appreciate it.

I believe he is talking about Russian game dev podcast. Here is the link just in case somebody wants to check it out. http://galyonkin.com/
  • Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never heard of them.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Clearly you aren't using CryEngine at all, right? We've seen several updates this week, with more example content and source code releases. I also don't see how the documentation is lacking, it's all there... If you think something's missing or not explained properly, please let me know so we can improve.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Clearly you aren't using CryEngine at all, right? We've seen several updates this week, with more example content and source code releases. I also don't see how the documentation is lacking, it's all there... If you think something's missing or not explained properly, please let me know so we can improve.

He is not wrong, the Cryengines knee jerk reaction to UE4s affordable subscription based policy doesn't change the ethos of cryengine and crytek at its core, the documentation has always been poor to start with, and no sub, no engine, and everyones heard the horror stories about ambiguous royalty fees.

Cryengine for me only had the advantage in superior lighting, to which UE4 has largely rectified, I could simply not see a reason why any person would want to use cryengine over UE4 other than being accustomed to it, hell id sooner use Unity free to make a game over cryengine, or game maker studio for that matter.

My sympathies here are with the employees who beyond clearly suffering from mismanagement didn't get PAID for the work they did, which is just unacceptable and further shows the ethos crytek carries with it.

200 staff members didn't just risk their professional and financial situations over nothing, especially in this jobs market.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Ok let me join technically here.

Currently I am using CE and UE4 simultaneously to see their strong/weak points.

The only strong " TECHNICAL" point I would put CE over UE4 be... performance.

When I just look through free example levels my PC goes F1 car engine on me, both fans goes crazy and even with that around 25 FPS in editor. To get fluid developer experience you need to " Build" the game. Well that takes.... 6-8 hours depending on your project.

In CE I open a 16 km square level full of... everything with great lighting and I just do whatever I wanto to do. Thyere are really times when FPS drops ( like deep fog or the like) but I can give an overall 30+ FPS. And if I want to see end result, well I can just switch to game instantly. That is all. No fuss no muss.

Right now with all the rumors around and possibility to be sold at Sony, the risk of my work going to be wasted since my EaaS license won't work is too great to take a chance. I am currently trying to go indie ( that is why I am trying he both engines) and let's say... after 3 months something happened EaaS service is held, stopped, sold whatever... Then what ???

Also 150+ video tutorials for every aspect leaves no excuse for a serious developer.

Man I sometimes just want to see Hideo Kojima giving green light t his Fox Engine to be released. Last September he said " they want to polish it even more to present a better experience for developers".

If that had come out. No brainer man... No brainer...
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    scalability_screen-770x644-1779705007.jpg

TAN wrote: »
    Ok let me join technically here.

Currently I am using CE and UE4 simultaneously to see their strong/weak points.

The only strong " TECHNICAL" point I would put CE over UE4 be... performance.

When I just look through free example levels my PC goes F1 car engine on me, both fans goes crazy and even with that around 25 FPS in editor. To get fluid developer experience you need to " Build" the game. Well that takes.... 6-8 hours depending on your project.

In CE I open a 16 km square level full of... everything with great lighting and I just do whatever I wanto to do. Thyere are really times when FPS drops ( like deep fog or the like) but I can give an overall 30+ FPS. And if I want to see end result, well I can just switch to game instantly. That is all. No fuss no muss.

Right now with all the rumors around and possibility to be sold at Sony, the risk of my work going to be wasted since my EaaS license won't work is too great to take a chance. I am currently trying to go indie ( that is why I am trying he both engines) and let's say... after 3 months something happened EaaS service is held, stopped, sold whatever... Then what ???

Also 150+ video tutorials for every aspect leaves no excuse for a serious developer.

Man I sometimes just want to see Hideo Kojima giving green light t his Fox Engine to be released. Last September he said " they want to polish it even more to present a better experience for developers".

If that had come out. No brainer man... No brainer...
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you guys think it would be viable for them, if shit hits the fan, to scale down and just become an engine producer? That seems to be the core business anyway considering whom they sold licenses to (military, architecture, civil engineering and so forth). It feels like games were just demos for the capabilities of the engine anyway. Eventhough it probably is quite tough to scale down that massively.

I mean there are several engines, aside from Fox, i would love to see used by the public and see what they are capable of. Like Frostbyte or ofcourse Lumnious Engine which is kind of this mythical beeing that no one seems to be quite sure what it really is capable of.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    repete wrote: »
    scalability_screen-770x644-1779705007.jpg

7CeYu5i.jpg

That is exactly why I love this place. Thank you kind sir :D

Do you guys think it would be viable for them, if shit hits the fan, to scale down and just become an engine producer? That seems to be the core business anyway considering whom they sold licenses to (military, architecture, civil engineering and so forth). It feels like games were just demos for the capabilities of the engine anyway. Eventhough it probably is quite tough to scale down that massively.

I mean there are several engines, aside from Fox, i would love to see used by the public and see what they are capable of. Like Frostbyte or ofcourse Lumnious Engine which is kind of this mythical beeing that no one seems to be quite sure what it really is capable of.

I am quite sure they can. I even remember multiple people telling them to do the exact same thing. I even remember nyself saying " Just Frnakfurt and a side studio. 150+50. Frankfurt for the engine and side studio for the exclusive games."