• Rukasu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rukasu polycounter lvl 10
  • Rukasu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow progress, lots of small details and figuring out what to add. I am happy so far, how it worked out working of very few references. I also never actually tried to make a portrait based on a real person. 

• Rukasu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda wanted to go for monochromatic and only have the hair in color, but I don*t think it works so might as well do everything colored.

• Rukasu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rukasu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I am done with the portrait.
    Now  I am gonna work on the frame some more. I will print it and maybe copper leaf it, or just use silk pla.
    (rightclick open in new tab for full resolution, its in A3)

Took a while, here are some progress images from the autosaves:

Rendered with corona render in c4d. Had no idea polypaint was compatible with corona renderer, but I guess it works. 
    Just put the vertex color in a vertex map on the base layer 

Scene setup looks wild. Arranged to look decent in camera (150mm telephotographic lens)

Very basic light setup. Two spots with high directionality (53%), so the light has a more dramatic falloff. And some excluding trickery to just put a slight secondary light on the model but not the background.

Also faked the metal and eye reflections, since they would look pretty boring with just a tiny spot and the rest in black (had no idea that is even possible)

The dog looks a bit like a plushie, but I think that works better than looking like plastic. Making individual hair strands would be overkill and not fit for this, so I setteled for a scatterer which scatters a "fluff" texture card 500.000 times and blended it in photoshop to make it less plushie looking.
    I couldve done more, but it is good enough for now. 

This is the frame that is still in progress (old version as texture in the middle)

• Dandylion3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing work! really love seeing all your projects you've worked on, so many cool ideas and characters <3