Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Total noob, need feedback: 2k tris character

So, I'm a total beginner, just getting started with Blender. Trying to make a character for the unreal engine, so it will eventually be rigged, animated, etc. I'm working on unwrapping and texturing right now. Please give feedback so I can improve!

kZD7dXS.png
wwr8Xdm.png
cAgSlVm.png
EEjpcHF.png
SoNkmnQ.png
3TG9eNe.png

Replies

• Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    I think you should maybe practice some more before even going anywhere near that end goal of getting it into UE4.

If this is your first time using blender and looking into game art I will point you towards the treasure trove of information.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryCharacter
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 11
    i agree with mossbros, work on form and getting to know the tools. Dont start off with more then you can do, work on modeling and getting it right before moving to UDK
  • BluShine
    Thanks for the link, lots of good stuff in there. Maybe even too much information, is there anything specific you could recommend?

And I should say, I'm a noob to blender and to character modeling for games, but I have done a bit of 3D stuff before in sketchup, and I have a decent amount of experience with 2D game art. But considering that only makes my work look even shittier :/

Besides trying to perfect one thing at a time, is there any other reason not to try to go all the way to putting something in a game engine? I mean, I know that if I later decide to redo the topology I'll also have to fix the UVs, textures, rigging weights, etc. But that just gives me an opportunity to redo and improve those, too. And I figure that it'll help me spot any bad habits early: stuff that might look fine on a 3D sculpt but be a huge pain when unwrapping. Also, I find it much more motivating if I've got a goal to work towards, even if it's just an ugly prototype.

That discussion aside, if there's anything in particular that you think needs work, please let me know!
  • SwdPwnzDggr
    Offline / Send Message
    SwdPwnzDggr polycounter lvl 7
    I think there is a lot to be learned from having a goal/project like this, even if the main thing is where your knowledge ends.

The one thing I would say is to not get too attached to this project. If you are working on it and realize you don't know something, or messed something up completely don't be afraid to throw it all away and start on something else.

Also the main thing I see right now is the foot. I am not sure how well that will deform when rigged, and the n-gon you have on the bottom of the feet could give you major problems.

http://wiki.polycount.com/LimbTopology?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryTopology%5Cb%29