Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

PILE - A Murder Mystery

14+PILE+Animation.gif

Greetings all! I and a friend have begun working on our very first game, and lately we've been beginning to make some pretty good headway. It's a heavily story-driven rpg, so we've been focusing on building the story itself as well as the characters.

The plot is as follows:
A paranoid photojournalist receives a mysterious letter from an old friend, with directions to head to Canada. After weeks of traveling, he finds himself in a remote village on a northern island. At first glance, the village is a quiet, peaceful place. However, after spending one night in the local inn, our protagonist is horrified to find a corpse in the street the next morning. Tensions rise as the villagers panic to find the culprit, and everyone becomes a suspect, including the journalist. Meanwhile, a devastating winter storm begins forming overhead, further isolating the village from the rest of the world. Each day that passes, another body is found, and the blizzard intensifies.

Will you be able to stop the killer before you're the next target? Or will the storm take everyone instead?
Whether it be bodies or snow, without your help, there will certainly be a
PILE

Here are a few character concepts:

Jasper, our protagonist
1HGId55.png

Jasper in the woods
Eo7GtSC.png

M, the Murderer
AGth0jf.png

And here's a map of Little Hook, the fishing village the game takes place in
CG2gbRQ.png

Thoughts or suggestions?
I'm still trying to decide on a style (8-bit, 16-bit, no shadows, etc).
It's inspired by games such as The Witch's House, Ib, Mad Father, and a few others. I'm refraining from the chibi-style for the characters, but I do like the top-down pixelation.

Here's the Steam Greenlight Concept page for more information:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243306788

P.S. I'm usually known as 22storm22, but on some forums I'm Mr.Spark, just to clarify

Replies