Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

the Red Vow critique

1642_by_hattonslayden-d7hhe15.jpg
what works and what needs work and why?

Replies

• IndieGear
    Offline / Send Message
    IndieGear polycounter lvl 8
    I really like the composition, it really gives off a vengeful feel.
    I do however feel like there are too many small details sprinkled in the corners of the piece. It might work out better if you keep the highest amount of detail on the character. Maybe just slightly less lightning in the background and take out some of those roots in the foreground.
    The values are good, with the lightning in the back you could give the cape some really good rim lighting to better show its form. The rain can be toned down a bit too, just bring back the opacity on it so it guides your eyes to the character more.

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck!
  • hattonslayden
    IndieGear wrote: »
    I really like the composition, it really gives off a vengeful feel.
    I do however feel like there are too many small details sprinkled in the corners of the piece. It might work out better if you keep the highest amount of detail on the character. Maybe just slightly less lightning in the background and take out some of those roots in the foreground.
    The values are good, with the lightning in the back you could give the cape some really good rim lighting to better show its form. The rain can be toned down a bit too, just bring back the opacity on it so it guides your eyes to the character more.

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck!

that helps a lot thanks!
  • hattonslayden
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    - the lighting needs work (show some highlights from water/rain on the materials)
    - there needs be water dripping down and off the armor/sword (especially on the hands/red cloth to emphasize the mood.
    - the cross guard on the sword should cast shadow on blade
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    Edit: sorry for the double post
  • hattonslayden
    - the lighting needs work (show some highlights from water/rain on the materials)
    - there needs be water dripping down and off the armor/sword (especially on the hands/red cloth to emphasize the mood.
    - the cross guard on the sword should cast shadow on blade

thank you that is extremely useful