Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mobile Arcade Game Art: Individuality help

I'm currently working as an illustrator on a mobile game. It's an arcade which simulates a hero falling into a deep pit and rescuing other characters and his girlfriend. I've got some sketches of characters and main hero (guy in color).

I'm kind of stuck in the process of making a character more unique and individual.

Which details should I add to the main character (or others) that would fit the game scene?
Thank you for your feedback.

aa26648246026c72af79578c8e69dded.png

Replies

• Adam Chilton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Chilton polycounter lvl 4
    I think they look cool myself, the finished ones at least.

Try varying head shapes more, and also go a little more "crazy" for lack of a better word, with the colours. Give her pink hair, or something.

Imagine you're working with a character creation kit, and take the same bodies with different outfits and hair styles. As an example, South Park for all of the children use the same eyes and head, but minor details make them unique.

Cheers,
    Adam
  • MrFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they look cool myself, the finished ones at least.

Try varying head shapes more, and also go a little more "crazy" for lack of a better word, with the colours. Give her pink hair, or something.

Imagine you're working with a character creation kit, and take the same bodies with different outfits and hair styles. As an example, South Park for all of the children use the same eyes and head, but minor details make them unique.

Cheers,
    Adam

Thanks, Adam.

Tried more complex approach to the main character:
    charslite.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Hi mate.

Currently you are trying to design a character like a sims character creator. That just can't work if you are going for unique.

Instead you need to actually design, and put thought behind it all, avoid grandmas wallpaper syndrome. Which i define as any character that wouldn't look out of place being tiled in a repeating fashion on a wall paper.

Before you take the pencil out again you need to sit down and nut out who the character is. What age, what their personality is like. Are they stoic, but excitable, depressed and monotone, classy and foolhardy? Are they fit, or are they slightly overweight?

From that you can pull out details and clothing.

If they are stylish give them a suit, give them a post with the attitude. Are they a notorious killer? rough them up, moles, liver spots, asymmetries. Give them an expression to match as well. Also change their body and facial shape to match.

tumblr_inline_n3sj41BSbE1scoj1m.gif

as a case study this is Disneys Robin hood. One of my favorite Disneys, even if it isn't considered one of the greats.

Robin hood has wit, class and style, but he also lives in the woods. He has a cheeky gin, little sharp teeth, emotive eye brows, and lovable adorable cheeks.

it's a complex design because of how everything interlocks and works together, and everything is considered.

I hope that helps.