Home Technical Talk

Maya 2014: UVs keep disappearing!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AviKohl3D polycounter lvl 5
I can't pin down exactly what causes this to happen. The UVs of objects in my scenes tend to get randomly erased and all textures become a solid color. When I go to a backup save to export an uncorrupted object, I am shocked to discover the corruption has somehow gotten into previous saves! This implies the problem is not with the file I work on but with Maya itself! Is there a way to recover the lost UVs or would I have to remap them?

Replies

• antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Did you delete the history on the meshes with disappearing UVs?
  • poLLos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poLLos polycounter lvl 3
    If you think it might be an issue with Maya itself, you should try deleting/resetting your prefs and see if that helps.
  • AviKohl3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deleting history and prefs didn't help :(
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I have had this bug before, it is the most random strange thing in the world. If you restart maya, and load the save all your UVs should be back as they were. I have no idea what causes this bug, its so frustrating.
  • AviKohl3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help but restarting maya and reloading the scene doesn't help. However, I noticed this only happens on objects that I extracted/separated faces from before reloading the scene. This would explain why earlier incremental saves are affected because I don't notice anything wrong until I load up the scene.

CONFIRMED! Separating and extracting faces and reloading the scene reliably triggers this bug.
  • Shift`
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly you should stick with Maya 2013 for a while.

It's always been a good rule of thumb to use the older version for a while so they can fix all the major bugs.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    never seen the bug before, but have you tried copying the UVs to a new UV set and using that one? then maybe copy it back to map1? I've been having some UV issues exporting from maya 2014 to FBX2013 into UE4. The lightmaps get mixed up with map1 sometimes, so copy pasting UVs sometimes fixes the problem in that particular case.
  • AviKohl3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like saving UV sets (yes, I did NOT know that was possible. DERP!) before extracting/separating is a good workaround.

Thanks a lot!
  • AviKohl3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now this is getting bizarre. I used the UV set editor to successfully paste the UVs from a good imported object to its corrupted counterpart. The corrupted object has UVs that can be seen in the UV texture editor but no plugged maps are displayed!
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    This has been happening with maya for several versions. Once maya flakes out and decides to corrupt something you can work for hours and not know it, happily saving multiple versions just to be safe. Then when you go and load up your last file you find it's corrupt you go back and find everything you saved that day is also corrupt. Another good reason to only save .ma files as sometimes you can go back and get the corruption out.
  • AviKohl3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I make it a point to always save as .ma but I've yet to know how to clean up corrupt ones.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Sometimes you can do a search for "-1.#QNAN" or "-1.#IND" (without the quotes of course) and just replace with 0.0. It won't bring back stuff, but if you're file is so bad that it crashes on load it can get it back to a point where it'll load back up.
  • jadetiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had the same problem. UVs randomly disappearing. Somehow some of my geo was given a second UV set (which had the correct uvs) and left the original one blank and active. My guess is that because the default uv set wasn't named map1 this may have caused the bug. So I copied the correct uvs from the bad set to the default set and made sure the default was named map1. Hope this helps.
  • mizbean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A cheat way to fix this problem is to select the meshes you want to UVS to be together and export them as an .obj and re-import it back into Maya, it fixed it for me. Hope it helps 
  • maryusatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maryusatom polycounter lvl 11
    Having a similar issue in Maya LT 2020. UV's keep on going back to a previous state, even if saved in different named files. Only one UV set, in this case one named Diffuse1, the one coming from Zbrush.
    The fix for me was to just create a new UV set, and then the UV's go to where thay should be. As a precautionary extra step, I copy the UV islands from Difusse1 to the new UV set, so now both sets have the UV's in the same place. The correct, adjusted place that is. 
    Hope this helps. 

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try this in the most recent version?

My guess is this has been fixed in the interim, as Autodesk has made a concerted push to improve stability and clear out major bugs in the last couple years.