Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] pseudo-Georgian Study

So I'm getting back into making environments after not really touching Max for about 6 months, and what better time than when everyone's jumping onto UE4. So this is me attempting to get to grips with a new way of texturing, and with any luck, possibly another art job. I'm taking influence from Thief, Dishonored, etc etc..

I also did list RAGE as an inspiration - I was originally going for super-saturated shadows, puddles, lots of decay, lots of dust, plants growing out of the floor, etc... but I'm not sure about going that direction.

Here's where I'm currently at (non-HighRes shot, sorry):
tumblr_n4iuuluYve1tvz2q8o1_1280.png

(just noticed I don't have the display cases on the far wall set to cast shadows as two-sided)

Lots of things are incomplete, I've just started texturing the walls this morning, not sure about contrast/brightness since I'm not sure which monitor I've used to look at my screenshots is more correct.. It looks nice on my home monitor, but right now (at work) it looks washed-out.

Requesting anything and everything constructive - crits on layout/design/composition, lighting, models, gross UE4/PBR misuse, stuff that would be awesome to include, whatever.

Thanks for taking the time to click on the thread :)

Replies

• NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good so far, not really much to tell.
    I think from the work that is further advanced that you have a firm handle on what to do next. I like how the eye gets directed to the wall but feel that once there the 'chair/desk/white wall box' combo could be a tad more impressive.

Cheers
  • Acid_Wire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks NomadSoul - I'll see if I can really make the rapiers & display case area impressive.

I'm thinking that introducing some verticality might make the piece a little less stale in my eyes perhaps?
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks cool man, getting a Bioshock kinda feel from this. However, it looks far too cluttered, and your screenshot isn't giving it any justice. I'd work on the composition a bit more whilst it's still in blockout :D
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I love the style so far! Excited to see where this goes. (also loved dishonored and bioshock)

As PogoP said, the composition is the weakest at the moment and something you can definitely improve this early in the building stage. I would also think about light sources when lighting the environment. Your main sources are not visible at that angle and makes it seem like you did not put any thought into how the room was being lit. Once you define those main light sources, it will do wonders for the atmosphere this environment.