Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anglorum's Running 2D Portfolio

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
anglorum polycounter lvl 6
Hey all!

WhB1udk.jpg

In the light of the unfortunate circumstances of CGHUB's shut down, I figured I'd need a new place to house my concept work. The guys at Polycount were nice enough to make this board, so I figured a working-thread seems like it'd do the trick just as fine as anything else in regards to showing my work.

I will use this P'n'P thread to store my finished 2D work. Feel free to leave any comments or critiques!

QzhtCBK.jpg

pW7c6z6.jpg

WRyveiO.jpg

f1MIh4Y.jpg

vvaTzvG.jpg

tpYineZ.jpg

kjRuaOK.jpg

I would also like to use this thread as an opportunity to post Process posts and other variety of experimental work, on top of answering any questions you guys might have about how I do my stuff.

Thanks, and I look forward to updating regularly!

Replies

• Harford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harford polycounter lvl 7
    Some great pieces in here, those plants are really interesting. I did a tutorial on exotic plants for 3dartist magazine and these would have come in handy.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Nice stuff man! You have a great feel to your work.

Here is a hint that may help you with colour work.

Full saturation local colours can't have a value greater than 50% unless they are over exposed, the local colour is as bright as they can get.

And speculars will always be the colour of the light source, and there should be a clearly delineated difference between local colour and specular.

The reason why i bring this up is for many artists drawing cartoony, there misses that vibrance and sense of solidity that many pro's have, and this is a large piece of that problem.
    Also stop doing lazy rim lights along the edges of things, it's better to just have lost forms, or a hard clear line.
  • Zornx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your prop designs are really nice :) thats your strength imo.
    My 2 cents, try not to use full value range on every object/character/piece. Limit your value range for different parts and it will have a better read.
    Maybe this is a good read for you: Dota 2 character art guide pdf
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Wow guys! Thanks so much for the feedback.

Harford: Dude! Your tutorials are awesome. I do a lot of 3d work as well, and they've come in a lot of handy. I would love to work with you if you'd like in the future!

Muzz: Those are some great tips dude. I never really considered a lot of those things in such a technical manner, but it makes a lot of sense. I'll keep it in mind throughout my next pieces. Hopefully I can ingrain it enough to where it becomes second nature.

Zornx: Thanks! Prop Art is a big passion of mine, but I'm slowly shifting over into environment stuff. That Valve tutorial is awesome, I saw it a while ago, but thanks so much for bringing it back to my attention, it'll make for a good re-read I'm sure.

You guys are awesome! Can't wait to make more stuff!
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    Be a bit bolder with atmospherics, hazyness, light bleed, and overall key of your pieces. If you look at the large illustration with the characters, in black and white, it's relatively boring value-wise.

The next important thing I notice right away is in general your skills are way ahead of your anatomy knowledge. Seems you skipped the fundamentals there, time to catch up for sure! :)

The above don't pertain to prop designs, which is why your props sheets look fine.

REALLLLY quick example of what I mean with the first thing:

2014-04-17_03-40-00.jpg2014-04-17_03-41-11.jpg