Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Import tool giving a vmt error

Hey, I seem to be some trouble with the workshop importer tool. Whenever I try to select a base texture for my item, I get this. The model itself is fine in the equip preview, just having the usual pink checkerboard for a texture due to mine not being accepted. Things I've tried so far: setting different materials to the model (and trying without one) in max, exporting as .fbx and .smd, different textures, using a plain cube instead of a model, trying both .tga and .pdf for textures, adding and removing alphas to/from the texture, messing around with the skin importer settings - the game just errors out about the VMT when I specify the base texture and I can't go futher. Everything with the model is fine, it attaches right where it's supposed to without any trouble, but once I get to the texture, I hit a brick wall. Any clue what could be causing this? I've tried verifying the game cache twice, both times everything 100%'d and there were no issues

EDIT: Found out how to fix it - deleting/moving the "custom" folder and THEN verifying the game cache fixes it. No clue what the custom folder messes up though, however that seems to be the way to fix it