Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #14 - April

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    What about holy heroes vs demonic heroes?

I was also thinking, why don't we incorporate the monthly competition into a monthly polycount chest.

It's valve's decision to make chests and what to put into them. While we've had polycount chests in the past, I don't think that polycount actually had any oversight as to what was included.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @praetus
    Well yea, but this would be monthly themed chest. Whether or not valve decides break or accept the chest as a whole is their choice. Atleast this way, they won't have to do as much work to assemble another polycount chest.
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, Tvidotto, I was thinking that since single items are as dead as a pickled herring, then changing the monthly competition to sets is a good idea, except for the fact that so few people is, or are participating in this round (at least it seems like it), and it would dwindle the pool down even more? Personally I'm not sure what the right thing to do is.

Perhaps wards? That would rule me out since I know nothing about what goes into it. Anyway, it's not all about me, but it's a tough nut to crack with what to do, and it could, in hindsight, be why fewer people are in it, since there literally is nothing accepted in the single items category.
  • brianchenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brianchenito polycounter lvl 7
    Herp, I should probably post on this.
    zflCe7n.jpg
    RZyECiR.jpg
    progress
    mmz8TBB.jpg
    final
    Dark Reef Detritus
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Guys, time to start thinking on the new month theme.

Im planning to change for the next month to sets since it is having more acceptance into dota latelly

i know that it will raise the dificulty but sometimes is a good a new challenge =]

I would like to know what you guys think about it and if there is any suggestion

Cheers!

While I also think sets are the road to Valve's heart, I didn't think getting things accepted by Valve was the main idea behind the thread. I thought the point was to learn and help others learn in a fun way and if something get accepted by Valve it's just an extra bonus.

With that said, I do have an idea of a way we can pull this off that might also be interesting. You see, personally that's too much work for me to do in a month, I expect this would be the same for most polypeople. Therefore I propose that we co-ordinate set-teams e.g. 5 people for a 5-piece set.

Someone could post a set concept and polypeople put their name down to do a piece of the concept (first come first served basis). If someone thinks they can do another piece of the set then they put their name down for two e.t.c. If it gets accepted by Valve split the monetary gain by pieces generated. For example Vertical draws a concept which I do the sword and bracers for and Tvidotto does the legs, pauldron and helmet pieces. I would get 1/3 revenue, Tvidotto 1/2 revenue, vertical 1/6 revenue.

Obviously my example is unrealistic because Tvidotto could do the whole thing under a month :P but you get the point. This might also provide helpful mentoring for nubbins like me.

What say you?
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gh33: I liked the idea, but we will not be able to manage it, if I remember right one of the past months, someone gave thi idea of noobs working with pros and of course didnt work out, and like you said that it is all about help and improve. So if pros work together (because you cant made them to work with noobs. Their choice) noobs just watch the whole competition and they will not even finish a set by theirself.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @ brianchenito , think you have the wrong thread, nice ward though.

I think sets is a bad idea for a monthly comp. Sure it can be done in a month but that basically force you to drop everything else.

And like stated, This isn't as much about getting it in as getting better right?

And people can develop a set out of the monthly comp item if they want, so let them do that on their own time.

----
    Is single item why not many people are participating this month? Maybe they didn't like theme/characters/rl etc..
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Badcogg,
    I'm pretty sure the polycount contest extended to wards/huds/couriers, its just not implented.

As for next month. Take a poll maybe, sets vs singles?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, I don't see wards listed anywhere on the rules post #1.

If it changed in discussion I missed it.

It was supposed to be aquatic theme for 5 heroes. 1 item.

That's one thing I've noticed with the challenges so far is the rules tend to change come submission time.
    People that don't post crits for others, or show wips while they are being worked on still get to submit.

But the rules clearly state this is required stuff and that any submissions breaking the rules will be rejected.

I think that might be leading to them not being that popular. I have posted and seen other posts that were never responded too. It's hard to use this as an improvement session without crits.
    It's hard to give crits when no wips are posted, etc...

I think it's supposed to be a learning experience in both ways. Learning to give crits also helps you learn to critique your own work.

Sticking to the rules doesn't make it unfriendly. Sure it's nice to allow someone to just submit something but that's not what this is about right?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some image dumps.
    I redid the uv's, Needed moire density near the face for the portrait. Not a perfect match but I'm alright with it.

Conch_Hud.jpg

Trying to get Dota into SFM but no luck so far. Models have no textures so...
    Hero Cam Promo
    Conch_Hero.jpg

angles
    Conch_Loadout_01.jpg
    Conch_Loadout_05.jpg

Maybe some paint touch up, hopefully some SFM renders before deadline, but i guess it's about done.
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    Baddcog -Those textures are real nice. Nothing to crit here :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Is single item why not many people are participating this month? Maybe they didn't like theme/characters/rl etc..

Hey, Tvidotto, I was thinking that since single items are as dead as a pickled herring, then changing the monthly competition to sets is a good idea, except for the fact that so few people is, or are participating in this round (at least it seems like it), and it would dwindle the pool down even more? Personally I'm not sure what the right thing to do is.

Perhaps wards? That would rule me out since I know nothing about what goes into it. Anyway, it's not all about me, but it's a tough nut to crack with what to do, and it could, in hindsight, be why fewer people are in it, since there literally is nothing accepted in the single items category.

actually i think the low number of people participating is directlly related to it being on single items. Some people lost the hope with them

That is why i suggested about the sets. If we get less people on the next month its kind of lose its purpose, the feedback ammount will be smaller and we are going to have less work in progress to get some inspiration
    Hmmm, I don't see wards listed anywhere on the rules post #1.

should i add that for the next months? i think its a good idea

praetus wrote: »
    It's valve's decision to make chests and what to put into them. While we've had polycount chests in the past, I don't think that polycount actually had any oversight as to what was included.

Praetus is right, i just suggested Valve about the chest because on those 2 months we had such a nice competition with a huge number of entries, but the item choices were all up to them

btw guys, we are getting some new heroes breakdowns with this new patch, if we get some actually added to the workshop we could pick them as our theme
    Some image dumps.
    I redid the uv's, Needed moire density near the face for the portrait. Not a perfect match but I'm alright with it.

Conch_Hud.jpg

Trying to get Dota into SFM but no luck so far. Models have no textures so...
    Hero Cam Promo
    Conch_Hero.jpg

angles
    Conch_Loadout_01.jpg
    Conch_Loadout_05.jpg

Maybe some paint touch up, hopefully some SFM renders before deadline, but i guess it's about done.

uhhh, that is working much better then i expected! congrats!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gh33 wrote: »
    While I also think sets are the road to Valve's heart, I didn't think getting things accepted by Valve was the main idea behind the thread. I thought the point was to learn and help others learn in a fun way and if something get accepted by Valve it's just an extra bonus.

With that said, I do have an idea of a way we can pull this off that might also be interesting. You see, personally that's too much work for me to do in a month, I expect this would be the same for most polypeople. Therefore I propose that we co-ordinate set-teams e.g. 5 people for a 5-piece set.

Someone could post a set concept and polypeople put their name down to do a piece of the concept (first come first served basis). If someone thinks they can do another piece of the set then they put their name down for two e.t.c. If it gets accepted by Valve split the monetary gain by pieces generated. For example Vertical draws a concept which I do the sword and bracers for and Tvidotto does the legs, pauldron and helmet pieces. I would get 1/3 revenue, Tvidotto 1/2 revenue, vertical 1/6 revenue.

Obviously my example is unrealistic because Tvidotto could do the whole thing under a month :P but you get the point. This might also provide helpful mentoring for nubbins like me.

What say you?
    cagdasx44 wrote: »
    Gh33: I liked the idea, but we will not be able to manage it, if I remember right one of the past months, someone gave thi idea of noobs working with pros and of course didnt work out, and like you said that it is all about help and improve. So if pros work together (because you cant made them to work with noobs. Their choice) noobs just watch the whole competition and they will not even finish a set by theirself.

forget to mention about this

The idea is really nice but as cagdasx said, that didnt work in the past when someone suggested something similar, because of every person here is different, some like to work alone, some like to share the work

the competition is open for team ( which may be a huge problem with the trophy, because is just one) but we cannot "force" people to make teams, we need to let them decide in which environment they fell more comfortable with.

also if you are teaming up, i think its better to separate by areas and not by set pieces, because if you get someone that are used to make evil things to do the helmet and someone that does cute courier to the weapon, you are probably getting the final result not looking like a set
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Tvidotto, I say why not try and have the competition about sets, then? Might as well see how it goes. That's really the only way. You are right that it could be low participation because it isn't sets, but who knows? Either way, give it a whirl.

It was said in another thread that 3 items makes a set, according to Valve, so it isn't really that much tougher.

I also thought about the sets being distributed on different people - one person per item, but as said, then there would surely be style clashes, and it would more than likely be a mish-mash. But again: who knows.

H
  • Ewok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi
    My item for Slardar. "Vanguard of Cthulhu legion" (or something like this)

e7a01950d373.jpg

583c3555f158.jpg

9f994c8341af.jpg

Concept and 1st meshes
    Now work on the high poly
  • mattface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If people are struggling to get a set done in a month, perhaps you can increase the deadline to 2 months? Still have a monthly competition but the May deadline will be end of june, June would be end of July and so on,
    This way you can either work towards completing your set in a month and enter every month, or only enter every other month and have more time.

I don't think I will have my item ready sadly, didn't have any time to work on it last night and to much to do tonight, but I have learnt from the experience, and would enjoy the challenge of a set just to work on my time keeping skills.
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea is really nice but as cagdasx said, that didnt work in the past when someone suggested something similar, because of every person here is different, some like to work alone, some like to share the work

Fair enough, I guess I'll just have to up my game! I might be able to do a 3-piece set in a month eventually if I get used to the workflow. This is definitely going to cut into my DOTA 2 time. :poly122:

EDIT:
    mattface wrote: »
    If people are struggling to get a set done in a month, perhaps you can increase the deadline to 2 months?

+1 Bi-monthly set competition
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the competition musnt push people to create sets, because this comp is a really good place to get feedback, ans if you make it only sets it will scare newbies from participating or making them start a set which they will probably never finish.. Anyways ı have 2 options, hope you like them.
    1- Make it a single item month again, and the ones who makes set can choose the best item in their set as a entry.
    2- We can go with sets only but if we do that there must be lots of hero option, or maybe no disractions at all so that we can havr more entries.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Maybe If we pick just 1 heroes and maybe all make sure to get some different slots we can have a complete set after all. If we would define a direction for that heroes we can all pick our own item slot, or more slots offcourse and create a polycount mixed set :D

For now I'm trying to finish my dagger for Slark. What do you guys think of the colours, wasn't sure to go for a metal blade or the same material as the original one. Offcourse the metal will need more defenition, but my idea goes to the top colors.

What do you guys think?

36qi6bi.jpg
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125- I think it looks great. The purple fish bothers me though. I wonder how it would look if it was the same goldfish color as the bracers.
  • Ewok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High poly Vanguard for Slardar

9a9df79421de.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Ewok wrote: »
    High poly Vanguard for Slardar

9a9df79421de.jpg

All that tiny detail is going to be lost at the in-game size. Compression will just turn it to noise. I would simplify the details and enlarge them, like make the suckers on the tentacles bigger.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hate to do it but we might need a slight extention of contest submissions.

model_error.jpg
    They broke the importer RIGHT NOW. I was testing some tweaks... Now gotta wait. (it's razor because I was checking to see if it was just my model export)

=======
    Decided I could crunch polys a bit more and add something to it. 120 tri for a necklace.
    Had room on the uv to squeeze it in.

Conch_necklace.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito wrote: »
    Andyk125- I think it looks great. The purple fish bothers me though. I wonder how it would look if it was the same goldfish color as the bracers.

Your right about the fish color, I'm still trying to get the color I want. But If I finish the texture I can easily change teh color. Almost finished the texture and wanted to test out the weapon, but like Baddcog said the importer is broken.

I think we do need a bit of an extention, can't test anything now. I removed the test client long ago, since the importer was really good. I have the idea they did this on purpose though.

@Baddcog: looks really good, maybe add some detail at the inner part of the shell? so it will look a bit more interesting, I think it looks a bit flat from the top view now.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Tvidotto, I say why not try and have the competition about sets, then? Might as well see how it goes. That's really the only way. You are right that it could be low participation because it isn't sets, but who knows? Either way, give it a whirl.

It was said in another thread that 3 items makes a set, according to Valve, so it isn't really that much tougher.

I also thought about the sets being distributed on different people - one person per item, but as said, then there would surely be style clashes, and it would more than likely be a mish-mash. But again: who knows.

H

just 3?? wow that is great!

Well, to be honest, making 3 items for a set you can think as everything being one but need to work them to fit 3 textures sizes and resolution, its more work but far from being 3 times the work
    I think the competition musnt push people to create sets, because this comp is a really good place to get feedback, ans if you make it only sets it will scare newbies from participating or making them start a set which they will probably never finish.. Anyways ı have 2 options, hope you like them.
    1- Make it a single item month again, and the ones who makes set can choose the best item in their set as a entry.
    2- We can go with sets only but if we do that there must be lots of hero option, or maybe no disractions at all so that we can havr more entries.

what about if we allow people to work on single items normally but that ones are not eligible to the trophy on the end of the month? that way we can have both options and the single items could fit the guys that are starting and one month is a challenging deadline
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Maybe If we pick just 1 heroes and maybe all make sure to get some different slots we can have a complete set after all. If we would define a direction for that heroes we can all pick our own item slot, or more slots offcourse and create a polycount mixed set :D

For now I'm trying to finish my dagger for Slark. What do you guys think of the colours, wasn't sure to go for a metal blade or the same material as the original one. Offcourse the metal will need more defenition, but my idea goes to the top colors.

What do you guys think?

36qi6bi.jpg

Looking great but im missing some gradient on the blade, what if you work some diferent color from the grip to the tip of the blade? there is a really good that shows that, is a hand schyte for tusk made by onilolz and zaphk. I dont need to be that extreme with the gradient, but its a good reference

Guys we got some new heroes on the pool! venon, treant, timber, terrorlord and magnus

I think its a great opportunity to boost more our contest and get more people joining
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Slark knife looks great, but the one major hangup I have is that it sort of blends with his other colors. How about giving it a bit of self-illumination, to keep the whitish in any lighting situation? Maybe do it as a gradient from the edge up - up going from light to darker? As for the fish, why not try the golden that already is on his one arm? Also, make the fish's eyes bigger and with brighter value? Otherwise, it too disappears.
    Otherwise: great job.

Oh, and by the way, the Importer is screwed up big time. The exact thing happened, as a few posts up, where whatever item is uploaded, is substituted by some Witch Doctor item.
    Hopefully they'll fix it ASAP...
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what about if we allow people to work on single items normally but that ones are not eligible to the trophy on the end of the month? that way we can have both options and the single items could fit the guys that are starting and one month is a challenging deadline

Loved this, I was think of making a set as well. But I dont think we should only make items for new heroes, I mean we should have at least 8-10 hero option because it is hard to draw a concept and even harde if you limit your imagination with 5 heroes. I would not look for a concept now that there is only one trophy, this means more people will try to draw their own concept.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto and two_larsens: Thx for the comments guys!

The screenshot is just a basic coloring test for the colors. There's almost no contrast and details added, also there are no masks yet at all. I finished them this morning, but it's hard to test anything with a broken importer :S

When I'm home il test it out in Marmoset to see if the orange/yellow color will fit better for the fish. I'm only affraid it will blend to much with the bracers, but who knows.

Is it allready confirmed that Valve will only add Sets to the game and no single items anymore?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just 3?? wow that is great!

Well, to be honest, making 3 items for a set you can think as everything being one but need to work them to fit 3 textures sizes and resolution, its more work but far from being 3 times the work

Well 3 is better than 5-6...

But I don't see how you can say it's not 3 times as much work. That's 3 sculpt, 3 high, 3 low, 3 bakes, etc...

In fact it might be more than 3x because you have to match everything up well, which can take going back and forth between models that would be required with on model.
    ===========

@Andyk,

thanks, do you mean the yellow part on the head piece? I have painted in a bit more 'splotchiness' after the in game shots, not showing well in the modo shot I poosted with necklace.
    Don't really have anymore ideas for that, I want the yellow swirl to stand apart from the orange ribs well.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates here, since there is this bug with the importer, items will be accepted till the day 1!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved this, I was think of making a set as well. But I dont think we should only make items for new heroes, I mean we should have at least 8-10 hero option because it is hard to draw a concept and even harde if you limit your imagination with 5 heroes. I would not look for a concept now that there is only one trophy, this means more people will try to draw their own concept.

i think if we go for too many heroes the idea of getting inspired by the other works loses a little its purpose.
    Andyk125 wrote: »

Is it allready confirmed that Valve will only add Sets to the game and no single items anymore?

Nop as far as i know, but we are not getting manny single items in games latelly and some people are afraid that single items lost its importance
    Well 3 is better than 5-6...

But I don't see how you can say it's not 3 times as much work. That's 3 sculpt, 3 high, 3 low, 3 bakes, etc...

In fact it might be more than 3x because you have to match everything up well, which can take going back and forth between models that would be required with on model.
    ===========

Well, i see like that, you do one concept, one highpoly and you can texture everything on the same file.

Doing one set with 5 items were less intensive to me then doing 5 single items, but that may vary from each one

----

btw guys, finished mine in time to end of the month, but as i said on the message before, the deadline is extended for one more day due the bug on the importer

Whaley, the evil conscience by TVidotto

200x200.resizedimage

Xvo7HZH.gif
    595AB64A34B4CF4999D6B62405A5B1AAF64CEA8D
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto- I just had to vote for that. Nice work!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Our Slardar mace has been done for a day but I can't get pictures of it in game because of the importer still being broken.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Tvidotto: Cute whale! How did you render your turntable gif? Inside Toolbag? Maya?
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @sukotto its a marmoset render
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    for those of us who are new, where exactly do we submit stuff?
    it doesn't say anywhere I can find.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Tvidotto: Cute whale! How did you render your turntable gif? Inside Toolbag? Maya?

yep, as Shock said is marmoset, but i also use photoshop to control the canvas size and file size.

you can import on photoshop all the images and create an animations with it. after you save for web and can control the size of the file.

The info of the workshop its ok with size but the uploaded images needs to be less then 2mbs each
    confracto wrote: »
    for those of us who are new, where exactly do we submit stuff?
    it doesn't say anywhere I can find.

you submitt normally to the workshop and post the links here after, use the code on the first page of the thread to keep in the same pattern as the others, so i list everything after the month ends
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
  • brianchenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brianchenito polycounter lvl 7
    Dark Reef Detritus- Ward by Chenito

200x200.resizedimage
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank god the importer is fixed, I will upload my entry later on tonight when I'm back home.
    I'm not too late than or? Everything is finished just need to upload it.
  • Yatra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's still yesterday if I haven't slept yet.. Right?

The Salty Slicer by Skeleton Jelly (Yatra)

200x200.resizedimage

QpSs5IM.gif
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great looking stuff everyone. Valve tends to like to make things interesting. This was a pretty fun project, got me thinking about a lot of things. Looking forward to seeing what's next. Good luck everyone.

Conch Crown of Crey by Baddcog aka Voodoo

Baddcog_Conch_polycount_icon.jpg

Cast out befit with a Conch Crown as a constant reminder of the Lost Chalice of Crey, Slithice ever wanders the battlegrounds. The Chalice must be found and all suspects will pay their toll to the Slithereen.

Conch_Voodoo_Promo_Text.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Still going with this! :p
    8uKGm.jpg
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Still going with this! :p
    8uKGm.jpg

Aww man! I might even learn Naga if this gets in game. Stunning work.
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon- Now that is elegant! Can't wait to see this finished.

All the finished entries look great it's a shame there are so few :(
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Anuxi, I'm loving those swords, great work!
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dark Rupture by Andyk125

4dU1kOt.jpg

Ok I finished uploading my Entry, I think the yellow/orange fish looks a lot better so thx for all the comments guys. if you like it plz don;t forget to vote :D

@Anuxi: plz don't finish them for this month :p It looks awesome, can't wait to see this set finished!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those colors should pop great in game Andy
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those colors should pop great in game Andy

Thx Baddcog, I wanted to upload some more but it seems Steam is down again :s