Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Carnival Ticketbooth

Anngelica
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Anngelica polycounter lvl 10
So this is part of a project I'm working on for a class. I'm pretty new to painting textures and this is nowhere near what I wanted it to be. I'm nervous to put it up here for critique but I know I need it. Any ideas on how to make it better?

Thanks guys.

28bw5rl.jpg

Replies

• Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Did you model this? Or were you just texturing? It looks a bit short. It helps to add a human base mesh in whenever you're working with things like this to get a good sense of scale to know how humans interact with the environment.

As far as texuring goes, it looks okay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're using mental ray or something like that, it would help if you were using a real time renderer like Marmoset or UDK.
  • Anngelica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did model it and it was rendered in mental ray! I put a box in UDK for scale to show where the character's eye level is when played. Is it still too short or otherwise off scale? Maybe it seems that way because it's too wide?

jfkp5l.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I think the main problem with your texture is lack of levels; it looks like you're lacking a lot of highs and lows that will help the contrast. Do you mind posting a picture of the texture? It would help with the critique. And is this a diffuse only? What kind of style were you going for; hand-painted, realistic, somewhere in between?
  • Anngelica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going for somewhere in between, honestly. I know I don't have the skill to try realistic but I wanted to push for it. Here's the diffuse:

dfj4vl.jpg

So push for more highlights and shadows?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I did a quick level adjustment on your diffuse and attached the newly created file. (EDIT, couldn't attach new file but that's how I did it) You had a lot of negative space in your contrast spectrum as shown below.46vscsI.jpg
  • Anngelica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see, okay, awesome. I'll play with it and try to get a little more variation. Thank you!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    The texture is pretty good for what it is. But I'd add some more materials in there. I.e: instead of generic red wood, use a deep red paint that's flaking away to reveal the wood below.