Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Concept Voting for April 2014

Replies

• TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Like I said, My Logic and My Tastes are invalid it seems :D

OK then. I normally have my final renders in Cryengine and there is no way to create a real good toon shader for this guy there. So I guess I'll choose one of the concepts here and do it.

I'll be watching you guys' work ! Good luck and godspeed people !
  • Onmioji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Onmioji polycounter lvl 8
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    TAN wrote: »

OK then. I normally have my final renders in Cryengine and there is no way to create a real good toon shader for this guy there. So I guess I'll choose one of the concepts here and do it.

LOL :D

Yeah lemme try that :D
  • Middnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Middnight polycounter lvl 5
    005-concept-art-ivankhomenko.jpg

01_by_mineworker-d419qn7.jpg[/QUOTE]

First one is a great practice, skulls are great for learning anatomy, limited cloths, but enouf for good practice, and general male anatomy.

second one is probably too much.

btw, maybe instead of taking just one concept, take 3 different styles and let people choose what they make, more people will join and you'll get more feedback on your work.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ^ I like the second one really since I first saw it posted in this thread but i think this might be based off another concept that might not be so busy but either way i really like that concept.

Not the shoulders though.
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Midnight wrote:

btw, maybe instead of taking just one concept, take 3 different styles and let people choose what they make, more people will join and you'll get more feedback on your work.

I think this might be a really great idea. If we take say the 2 highest scoring concepts and use them instead of one, it could bring more people in with a little variation especially if some don't like the winnong concept. For example, I dont like any of the anime stuff and had they won, I would go off and do my own thing, as it turns out from some replys in this thread there are a few who are the opposite from me with the anime concepts.

If potentially it becomes the top 2 instead of just the one, those that dont want to do mob guy ( this whole thing is voluntary so if you dont like the concept you almost crrtainly have no motivation to follow through), have another chance of perticipating with number 2, thus more people in the thread sharing ideas, giving feedback and hopefully finishing.

Just a thought :p
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    The whole point is that its a challenge. If you dont want to make the concept that the challenge is about, dont enter :/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    TAN wrote: »

I don't see anything in that concept that would require a toon shader
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Picking the top 2 most voted is actually interesting. As long as both get roughly equal interest and participants. If most ppl work on A, and like 2ppl work on B, it's very likely those 2 will quit.

The thing with this challenge is that it is all voluntary, no real reward, and for learning experience it's great to work on the same thing or very similar. The more bodycount we have, the more we get motivated to work harder and better. That's why I really like to keep the bodycount high.

3 concept for anyone to choose freely is too much. I will think about 2 concept.

Let me think this over.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    chara_variation_by_zedig-d6eilgf.jpg
    Bumping the thread with the kid vote!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I say we stick with a single concept. Having a multitude of concepts and styles during the same month can get a bit cumbersome.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. I'm back.

The VOTING is OVER.
    The official piece for April's challenge will be the Man and Monkey. It will start in its own thread which I will create on the 31st March. No, we are not doing the 2 concepts thing. Especially the Kid Variation has like 5 versions of it. No no no. Maybe at later months, if the 1st and 2nd most voted are equally interesting and differ enough.

Also, note in mind, you can make the character in any style you want. Realistic, Stylized, Cartoony, Chibi, Handpainted, or just a Bust. W/e you want.

Now, lemme just get the artist's permission first.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Cool!

I just wnated to say totaly for going dual concepts next time, I think its a great idea, more people can join, and if you really dont like the first concept you have an alternative.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    stevston89 wrote: »
    I say we stick with a single concept. Having a multitude of concepts and styles during the same month can get a bit cumbersome.
    True single is best, its the whole point of a challenge. I don't like doing certain concepts but i still do them(i enjoy the whole art process, even if i dislike the concept), good practice. It's sorta like in the industry, you may be handed plenty of work/concepts you don't like ,but gotta get it done. (don't have to join ,anyone can always just model any of these concepts on their own if wanted).
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright folks.
    Got James Kei's permission. We're good to go for this 31st.

Usually I don't like imposing my idea on others, (say wut? Since when ?) But for dual concept, I will reserve that judgement based on each month's circumstance.