Home Dota 2

Custom particle effects/ animations

Hello guys! I am currently working on a new item model that requires custom animation, so i want to ask for a help:)
As far as i understand i need to compile my files manually? If there is some good tutorial about it share a link please.
And also i have a model that is ready, but i want to add custom particle effect, that is not yet supported by dota 2 uploader (i mean effects like diffusal lane on pl). If you guys also have a link for tutorial that would be great!

And the final question is about adding a couple bones to default hero models, is that possible?

Replies

• heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    You "shouldn't" add bones to heros. Valve gets sorta grr when you add extra bones. Their stance is well documented and its basically
    "more bones = more work for us = less likely you will get in game."

You totally can add bones but its going to require re skinning the model and all that fun stuff. (Which valve also might not like because the skinning is so weird)

As far as tuts about adding custom particles/effects, I wouldn't say there are any that are "end all be all" but I imagine, as informed by others, the pipeline is similar to most other source title.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    You "shouldn't" add bones to heros. Valve gets sorta grr when you add extra bones. Their stance is well documented and its basically

You totally can add bones but its going to require re skinning the model and all that fun stuff. (Which valve also might not like because the skinning is so weird)

As far as tuts about adding custom particles/effects, I wouldn't say there are any that are "end all be all" but I imagine, as informed by others, the pipeline is similar to most other source title.

More bones = more work. But more bones = more value. More value = more $$$.

@Heboltz
    Can you show where that pipeline is documented? All I know is some vague things like that you have to use Alienswarm SDK and that you need to manually overwrite some files to test the particles out.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipman could help you out with this way more then me. Ill poke the bear.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    heboltz3 wrote: »

You can't add more bones, not to heroes. You can do cloth phys which requires no bones, but the problem with that is the cost of doing that could be so high, not to mention the extra work that valve would have to put in in order to get the phys working. If you're new to the workshop, as they say, keep it simple, stupid.

My stance on custom animations can be throughly concludled in the following to threads. They focus on animations, however the same methods and course of action is the same for particles.

Read #1

Read #2

If you understand how to reverse engineer, watch this video. If not, I can't hold your hand, so you're on your own there. But all the information is in this video if you just pick it out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD6njJxV2WU"][Unedited] Dota 2 Workshop Tutorial - In game animaton testing - YouTube[/ame]

If this is for an organization, make them understand that custom animations/particles are not garrenteed, I've worked on mutliple kinetic gems and have only successfully gotten two in. Not to mention some were bundled with very large organizations like Nexon, and those custom animations were still not implemented. Of which I concluded was because the lack of time, and lack of pipeline set by valve.

And make sure you understand that if you really want to persue custom animations, you're more then likely taking a large risk and that work could very easily go unrewarded.

And, again, you can not add extra bones to the heroes, just like how you can't edit the base mesh or texture.

Cheers :thumbup:
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godamnit. I thought you couldnt add bones and I edited it to say you could.

Stupid guy reaction.