Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

export problem with Maya

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
llRobinll polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys,
I have a problem with exporting my model into TF2 with Maya.
It's my first item and I'm trying to upload it with the in-game importer.

I've tried both parenting and skinning the model to the head bone (and a combination of it) and exporting as an .FBX

With skinning the model is in place but not bound to the head bone and with parenting the model is attached to the bone but with a slight offset. see image below.

3soO1lY.png?1

Is it even possible to export with Maya?
(doing it with SDK source apps is not really possible atm since those do not work either...)

thanks in advance!

Replies

• turpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had this problem early on while modelling with Blender, but I'm not sure if my issue is related to yours since the difference in programs, but... are you making sure your world translations are zeroed out? If they are offset they would do the problems you are having when outputting it. You should only move the mask in edit mode.

Hope this helps! I am but a novice, so please take my advice with heavy amounts of salt since I know next to nothing about Maya.
  • llRobinll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    llRobinll polycounter lvl 5
    thank you for trying to help but yes, the transformations are 0. I think I'll download Blender and try it that way.

Another problem, my source SDK apps are not working... When I try to launch itemtest i just get a black screen...
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I've never used that itemtest in the SDK. The current testing workflow is to make the item importer compile the model(it compiles it when you click "verify") and then launch the test map inside the game(from the workshop menu) and load the model there(hit F7 to choose the class/model etc.).
  • Matthew100001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does Source SDK support FBX? FBX is an Autodesk file format that can be used interchangibly between different Autodesk programs (Maya, 3DS Max, Softimage), while there are some non-Autodesk programs that can read FBX files, I'd rather use something that has been more of a standart for longer, OBJ, or DAE (the latter being the COLLADA format). And most animators never touch the joints, rather they manipulate controllers placed by the people who rigged the model. These controllers are typically NURBS curves that do not show at final render. In stead of skinning that mask to the main head joint, try parenting it to the main head controller, assuming these controllers exist.