Home General Discussion

Texturing workflow - software

Replies

• FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    Jerc wrote: »
    You must have used an early beta, you can do all that now :)
    4k support is coming next month.

That's good to hear, I'll give it another go. How about UDIM support?
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    FelixL wrote: »
    Once imported, you can't change the mesh anymore or the textures will become all messed up.
    Have you tried 2.6? We are using it since some weeks and the new "transfer layers" or "transfer channels" option is great. You just import a new Model with different UV´s and even different topology and it transfers your whole layerstack and all your channels to the new one.
    To make it work you need to import it as a new object, not as a new version for the current model.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    That's good to hear, I'll give it another go. How about UDIM support?
    4K is the first step to our implementation of tiled texturing, full on UDIMs will come later, no ETA though.
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    .Wiki wrote: »
    Have you tried 2.6? We are using it since some weeks and the new "transfer layers" or "transfer channels" option is great. You just import a new Model with different UV´s and even different topology and it transfers your whole layerstack and all your channels to the new one.
    To make it work you need to import it as a new object, not as a new version for the current model.

Transfer is neat and all but compared to raytracing, it's really slow and also delivers worse quality when baking from high to low poly. For identical meshes it might be alright? Are you using ptex at all? I think it makes little sense as long as there is no subdiv implementation, as you'll end up with way too many tiny faces when texturing subdivided objects.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Transfer is neat and all but compared to raytracing, it's really slow and also delivers worse quality when baking from high to low poly. For identical meshes it might be alright? Are you using ptex at all? I think it makes little sense as long as there is no subdiv implementation, as you'll end up with way too many tiny faces when texturing subdivided objects.
    Hey,

I´m not using it for a high to low workflow. Most of the time i´m working on commercials so the transfer is useful if you don´t have finished UV´s but need some early texture work.

For example, you paint with rougly unwrapped UV´s which use 10 UDIMs or even PTEX and then convert it to a new UV with less UDIMs and a more optimized packing without the need of repainting.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    (Alot of useful info and examples)

Thanks a lot, Felix. I really appreciate the time you put into this answer :) I will try this approach on my next asset. Can definitely see the advantages!